User Tag List

9Likes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Added Dynamat

So....I had to take all of my door panels off to check the speaker connections, due to my paranoia of a faint sound I keep hearing (the speakers are fine) and I decided, why not add some Dynamat?? Sure! I covered the inside and outer shell of all 4 doors. This literally took almost all day. Probably close to like 6+ hours. But man, it was worth it. When I close the doors, I immediately notice a quieter cabin. Ambient noise kind if fades. It's very nice and no vibrations with louder volumes. Might be all in my head, but the acoustics seem to have more depth now too. Audio sounds cleaner.

Anyway, there is of course a lot of road noise still when hitting faster speeds. That's normal unless you gut an entire car and cover everything. No way I'm doing that. I wish I would have ran decibel tests before and after though. I also added some Dynamat to the hood as well. I'll probably do the trunk/floor area where it's bare metal.

Overall, I am very pleased. It's a big pain in the you know what (getting the door panels back on is the worst part), but totally worth it!

Anybody else add Dynamat material to your bolt? If so, where did you apply it? And any noticable improvements?

Last edited by SodePop; 05-21-2019 at 01:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
FWIW, after several switches back and forth, I noticed the BMW i3 is quieter than the Bolt and some of the noise did seem to be coming through the Bolt doors.

jack vines
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Are there any instructions around on how to remove the door panels?
nfoboy and calderstrake like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by One1whaoo. View Post
Are there any instructions around on how to remove the door panels?
I actually have the Crutchfield mastersheet. It has instructions for the panels, radio, etc...however, somebody posted instructions on this forum. I can try to find the link. Those instructions also stated to replace the 5 clips on the top of each panel that holds the rubber strip. It says this for any time you take off the panels. I have removed all 4, twice ...and also put them back on without any issues. No need to replace those clips. It's just a real pain putting the panels back on.

It's actually very simple to take the panels off though. Two screws hold each door on, and then have plastic clips around the bottom frame. First bolt is behind the plastic cover by each door handle, and the second is in the arm rest handle hidden by a circle plastic cover. They are 7mm hex screws. After removed, just pry from the bottom to release all (9?) plastic clips. Panel just pops off. And of course, you disconnect the window plug and handle lock cable. Very simple. Pry off the bottom with a plastic prying tool... definitely not metal.
calderstrake likes this.

Last edited by SodePop; 05-21-2019 at 08:36 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:29 PM

Doesn't sound bad - thanks.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:31 PM

Mine is going in the doors tomorrow. Feeling old, I'm having it professionally done.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Shortly after I got my Bolt (almost two years ago) I lined my four doors on the inside of the outer wall and also a layer over the vapor barrier - under the plastic inside panel. The doors feel more solid and road noise is reduced. It made a huge improvement to bass performance of the speakers.

Gary Aulfinger
The Bolt EV LT is our 5th Chevy electric. The best keep getting better!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Oh, I forgot to mention... as much insulation as I added, the heat and AC work better! I takes quite a bit longer for the car to warm/cool to ambient temperature than before the upgrade.

Gary Aulfinger
The Bolt EV LT is our 5th Chevy electric. The best keep getting better!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:22 PM

Done - just the inside of the external sheet-metal.
Tapping anywhere on the outside of the doors with a knuckle now sounds very dead, and when closing the door it now has the feel of some weight to it.
It's lowered the tire-noise frequency band by about an octave, and shuts out quite a lot of noise from surrounding ICE cars. A surprise was the appreciable muffling of impact noise when going over tar strips/patches/potholes.
Nice upgrade. (Cheap if you DIY.)
calderstrake likes this.

Last edited by One1whaoo.; 06-18-2019 at 07:03 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Congrats!! Yes, it definitely makes a difference. And installation is not for the faint of heart either. Getting someone to do it was a wise choice. I want to also line my trunk, as I have leftover panels, but I don't know if that'd make any difference. Meh, I'll do it anyway probably soon when I have time. All in all, insulating is a very good improvement for not just ambient noise, but also audio quality. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/ChevyBolt/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]