User Tag List

23Likes

post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry My gripe about the rear-view mirror

OK, so the Bolt Premier has a cool HD Video option for the rear-view mirror.

I want to like it... I think that it should be really great... I hate it.

OK, maybe this is me acknowledging my age: I have to wear reading glasses, so my "near" vision is a problem. Distance is great and uncorrected.

Looking forward, no problems. Looking in the standard rear-view mirror, no problem. Flipping it to the awesome HD video picture of the rear view via camera... problem.

This requires my focal point to change from distant to near (as you are no longer looking into the reflection, but at a screen - much like a laptop and about the same focal distance)… and it's a nice blur-ish kind of thing.

Damm shame that there is no way to actually adjust the focal point of the camera to overcome my human limitations.

Harrumph. And throw in a "get off my lawn" for good measure.
tk1971, gern_blanston and hatchy like this.

Hey Chevy! I want a few more:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1) electric convertible (2+2 configuration)
2) an electric AWD (ala reimagined Honda Element)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, the focal point is the problem with the video mirror, having to change from far-sight to near-sight. The thing is only useful whenever the standard mirror is blocked with cargo or passengers.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraitis View Post
OK, maybe this is me acknowledging my age: I have to wear reading glasses, so my "near" vision is a problem.
Yep, it's a limitation because you have to focus on the display itself. There's really not much that can be done about it.

It appears a bit blurry to me, but I can deal with it. Every once in quite a while if I want to see a detail (partly because it's a bit blurry and partly because camera images are considerably smaller) I'll flip it so I can look at the direct reflection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting about the focal point .
I do find that the way it picks up some headlights & running lights (I guess mostly LEDs) as flashing lights catches me off guard sometimes.

Enjoy life ... Eat out more often
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
I had wondered if this would be a problem for me but actually I’ve done okay with it. Apparently my eyes are (still) good enough that switching focal distances happens quickly and easily. Whether that’ll stay true as my eyes age remains to be seen, of course.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage
The issue is not the focus plane per say, but the muscle memory built after years of using a mirrored rearview mirror. Your brain is very adaptable, just give the camera rearview mirror a try and for a few days stick to it, your eyes and brain will adapt to the different focus plane and you will not feel the difference after few days.
NY-Rob and One1whaoo. like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current: '17 Bolt EV | '13 Honda Civic Hybrid
Previous: '14 Rav 4 EV |
| '12 Mercedes GL450 |
| '08 Lexus LS460 |
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to surgeonFWW
The trick is to look at something else which is stationary and the same distance, then at the display. I have a hanging parking pass which I look at for <1 second, then shift to the screen. The camera display is immediately in focus and interpretable. Don’t make your eyes try to focus on a blurry, moving image. It may not work for everyone, but it does for me.

Rick's blue Bolt
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:45 AM
max

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Garage
I find I miss the reflection when the camera mirror is on. Hard to check for food in the teeth or a bat in the cave with the camera mirror on.
Still a cool feature to show off when friends/family first see the car.
Sean Nelson and surgeonFWW like this.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeToy View Post
The issue is not the focus plane per say, but the muscle memory built after years of using a mirrored rearview mirror. Your brain is very adaptable, just give the camera rearview mirror a try and for a few days stick to it, your eyes and brain will adapt to the different focus plane and you will not feel the difference after few days.
This works only if you don't wear reading glasses. No amount of brain adaption can adjust for poor close focusing ability. In other words, the software can't fix the hardware problem.

My spouse and I are significantly different heights (12"). She uses the regular mirror. When I get into the car for short trips, I flip the tab to use the video feed, but ignore the video and look through it to see the normal mirror image. On longer trips, I adjust the regular mirror for my height.

When you think about it, you're also looking through the video image (that is gray) when the auto rear view dimming is functioning in low-light conditions. I noticed this right away, because only the active video portion of the mirror is dimmed.

Driving electric since 1997!
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
I hate the LCD mirror passionately. I really wanted to love it too. I do not wear glasses. My age starts with a 4.

I'm not sure if its my eye muscles, or how I use the mirror. Or both. Probably both. I'm a Keith Code quick glance addict. So yes the video mirror does not worth a **** for me. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one!! I bitch about it to anybody who will listen to me.

I think the only way to get this to actually work for me is have a 27" monitor that power slides up into position in the trunk.. then I can use my real mirror to look at the LCD screen.
Sean Nelson likes this.

Last edited by hatchy; 03-27-2018 at 01:32 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page