Infotainment Center Freezing - Page 9 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

 6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #81 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
I’ve had my 2017 for a month and a half with no problems until this week with the Bolt EV screen freezing up. I do not normally plug in my phone and I don’t quickly put it into drive so I don’t believe that had anything to do with it for me, besides the fact that the second time it happened I wasn’t even going anywhere (I take my lunch at work in my car)

The first time about 7 minutes into my drive it popped on and I could use everything, but the second time when I was staying put my main concern was that I could not turn on the AC and it was hot! Georgia weather is so random so in the morning on the way into work all I need is fresh air coming in from outside, but at lunch I definitely need the AC on and since it wasn’t giving me anything but the Bolt EV logo I could not press the recirculate or AC buttons to turn it on. It was very frustrating! I opened all the windows and remembered the buttons to reboot it but it made no difference.

Yes,I should have gotten out and walked away but I only have so much time for lunch dammit so I didn’t do it. Finally about 10 minutes into it the screen kind of flashed, a couple different times and came up. Right at first I still couldn’t turn the AC on but I was able to eventually.

I am really hoping this doesn’t turn into a thing because it was very uncomfortable there for a while not being able to turn the AC on while sitting in the car. I guess I will have to remember to turn on those two things just before getting out in the morning in case it happens again.

2017 Bolt EV Premier - Orange Burst
Her name is Valencia, but I call her Val
Gina Dee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:41 AM
Senior Member
 
MDBolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Dee View Post
I’ve had my 2017 for a month and a half with no problems until this week with the Bolt EV screen freezing up. I do not normally plug in my phone and I don’t quickly put it into drive so I don’t believe that had anything to do with it for me, besides the fact that the second time it happened I wasn’t even going anywhere (I take my lunch at work in my car)

The first time about 7 minutes into my drive it popped on and I could use everything, but the second time when I was staying put my main concern was that I could not turn on the AC and it was hot! Georgia weather is so random so in the morning on the way into work all I need is fresh air coming in from outside, but at lunch I definitely need the AC on and since it wasn’t giving me anything but the Bolt EV logo I could not press the recirculate or AC buttons to turn it on. It was very frustrating! I opened all the windows and remembered the buttons to reboot it but it made no difference.

Yes,I should have gotten out and walked away but I only have so much time for lunch dammit so I didn’t do it. Finally about 10 minutes into it the screen kind of flashed, a couple different times and came up. Right at first I still couldn’t turn the AC on but I was able to eventually.

I am really hoping this doesn’t turn into a thing because it was very uncomfortable there for a while not being able to turn the AC on while sitting in the car. I guess I will have to remember to turn on those two things just before getting out in the morning in case it happens again.
If you ever run into this behavior from the screen again in the future (hopefully not), you can still press the physical buttons to turn on your AC. It should at least get the fans going.
MDBolt is online now  
post #83 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,182
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Dee View Post
I am really hoping this doesnít turn into a thing because it was very uncomfortable there for a while not being able to turn the AC on while sitting in the car. I guess I will have to remember to turn on those two things just before getting out in the morning in case it happens again.
wonder if you can just use the remote start from the key fob. there's an option to hit it twice to get 40 minutes of run time. then you don't even have to "start" the infotainment system.
XJ12 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #84 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBolt View Post
If you ever run into this behavior from the screen again in the future (hopefully not), you can still press the physical buttons to turn on your AC. It should at least get the fans going.
I could do that of course, but it still wouldnít solve my issue with the AC not being on.

2017 Bolt EV Premier - Orange Burst
Her name is Valencia, but I call her Val
Gina Dee is offline  
post #85 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:15 PM
Senior Member
 
MDBolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Dee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBolt View Post
If you ever run into this behavior from the screen again in the future (hopefully not), you can still press the physical buttons to turn on your AC. It should at least get the fans going.
I could do that of course, but it still wouldn’t solve my issue with the AC not being on.
By hitting the Auto button on the temperature control knob, the vehicle will start your AC to your previously set temperature. The control knob itself should also similarly work, albeit without the visual feedback of what the exact temperature readout is. I guess what I’m trying to say here is that you still have options to control your AC even if your screen goes black. The reason I know this is because I’ve run into this issue as well in the past, and I can verify that you can still control your AC with the physical buttons. As a side note, I’m glad Chevy was wise enough to make these physical buttons available to us as a failsafe mechanism for this exact scenario.
MDBolt is online now  
post #86 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBolt View Post
I guess what Iím trying to say here is that you still have options to control your AC even if your screen goes black.
I had the same problem. I changed the fan speed up one step (fan was not running) and the AC system came on. Eventually the screen came on with the previous settings except the fan speed was one step higher. My total screen time down was about 3 minutes.

When I started the car and the screen went black, I turned it off and restarted. Repeated this again. On third restart the screen was still black so I started to drive with my wife recording the event on my phone. Showed the recording to the service person who took a copy of parts of the video to give to the technician. They conferred with GM and then did a reflash of the Infosystem. Today is 2 days short of one month since serviced without a failure. Maybe they got it fixed.
ArizonaJon is online now  
post #87 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:53 PM
Senior Member
 
MDBolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBolt View Post
I guess what I’m trying to say here is that you still have options to control your AC even if your screen goes black.
I had the same problem. I changed the fan speed up one step (fan was not running) and the AC system came on. Eventually the screen came on with the previous settings except the fan speed was one step higher. My total screen time down was about 3 minutes.

When I started the car and the screen went black, I turned it off and restarted. Repeated this again. On third restart the screen was still black so I started to drive with my wife recording the event on my phone. Showed the recording to the service person who took a copy of parts of the video to give to the technician. They conferred with GM and then did a reflash of the Infosystem. Today is 2 days short of one month since serviced without a failure. Maybe they got it fixed.
Good to know that the buttons truly are alive and well. Did you try to perform a system reset yourself (i.e., pressing down the physical home + FF buttons) before bringing to the dealer? In my situation that’s what I did without having to restart the car (actually we were on a highway and did the reset while the vehicle was running) and all was well.
MDBolt is online now  
post #88 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Metro Boston, MA
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBolt View Post
Good to know that the buttons truly are alive and well. Did you try to perform a system reset yourself (i.e., pressing down the physical home + FF buttons) before bringing to the dealer? In my situation thatís what I did without having to restart the car (actually we were on a highway and did the reset while the vehicle was running) and all was well.
The Home/FF buttons are your friends. I had to reset my 2017 a few days ago. Did it while driving since I didn't realize it was frozen until on the road. No problem. This has happened a few times over the last 2 years. It's a [not mission critical] computer, and not built for the .gov.
gallen is offline  
post #89 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBolt View Post
Good to know that the buttons truly are alive and well. Did you try to perform a system reset yourself (i.e., pressing down the physical home + FF buttons) before bringing to the dealer? In my situation thatís what I did without having to restart the car (actually we were on a highway and did the reset while the vehicle was running) and all was well.
I did not try the system reset. In the previous months, the system had gone black a couple of times and then recovered without using system reset. MAYBE when I changed the fan speed setting it triggered the beginning of a restart cycle. It was about 30 seconds after I did that when the restart began.
ArizonaJon is online now  
post #90 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBolt View Post
By hitting the Auto button on the temperature control knob, the vehicle will start your AC to your previously set temperature. The control knob itself should also similarly work, albeit without the visual feedback of what the exact temperature readout is. I guess what I’m trying to say here is that you still have options to control your AC even if your screen goes black. The reason I know this is because I’ve run into this issue as well in the past, and I can verify that you can still control your AC with the physical buttons. As a side note, I’m glad Chevy was wise enough to make these physical buttons available to us as a failsafe mechanism for this exact scenario.
Gotcha now, sorry about that I misunderstood. I don’t use the auto feature so now I’m understanding what you meant.

Thank you so much!

2017 Bolt EV Premier - Orange Burst
Her name is Valencia, but I call her Val
Gina Dee is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome