User Tag List

5Likes

post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Infotainment Center Freezing

I have a new Bolt Premier, build date 05/17, with software version 14.1.0 which it says is "up to date".

There have been two times now when I got in the car, pushed the blue button to start, and the infotainment screen came on and froze. The radio was playing but I couldn't change the volume or station with any of the controls. The touch screen was unresponsive, the controls on the steering wheel didn't work, and the volume control on the dash didn't work. When I put it in reverse, the rear view camera did not come on. But the car would move and shift and so on.

The cure seems to be to turn everything off and go away for 10 minutes, and then it seems to come back on and work properly.

Since this has been a highly intermittent problem (so far) I hesitate to waste my time taking it to the dealer unless it's a known problem. They're not much good troubleshooting a problem when it's not happening.

I've seen posts with similar, but not identical problems with earlier builds and earlier software versions, but nothing lately.

Is this still a common problem, or is it just my car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Same thing happened to me in each of the last two days. Shutting down, getting out of the car and letting it do its self-locking thing seems to immediately fix the problem.

If this had happened to my iPad, I would assume Apple was downloading an update in the background.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to surgeonFWW
If this is the same problem other have addressed, try pressing the "Home" and "FF" buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds. This should "reboot" the infotainment system.
colaboy29 and nscarrillo like this.

Rick's blue Bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOstell View Post
I have a new Bolt Premier, build date 05/17, with software version 14.1.0 which it says is "up to date".

There have been two times now when I got in the car, pushed the blue button to start, and the infotainment screen came on and froze. The radio was playing but I couldn't change the volume or station with any of the controls. The touch screen was unresponsive, the controls on the steering wheel didn't work, and the volume control on the dash didn't work. When I put it in reverse, the rear view camera did not come on. But the car would move and shift and so on.

The cure seems to be to turn everything off and go away for 10 minutes, and then it seems to come back on and work properly.

Since this has been a highly intermittent problem (so far) I hesitate to waste my time taking it to the dealer unless it's a known problem. They're not much good troubleshooting a problem when it's not happening.

I've seen posts with similar, but not identical problems with earlier builds and earlier software versions, but nothing lately.

Is this still a common problem, or is it just my car?
You shouldn't need to go away for 10 minutes.

While in the car if you hold down the home and fast forward button together for 10 seconds it will reboot it.

Or you could turn the car off, get out, lock it, walk more than 10 ft away and wait 30 seconds. Now go back to your car and it will have rebooted itself.

The two times my main screen has frozen I tried those and they both worked.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I didn't know about that the last time it happened. I'll give it a try next time. However, the previous times the touchscreen was generally unresponsive to anything I tried, so not sure if it will work.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So, does GM read these forums and take note? Obviously there continues to be a serious bug with the infotainment system which has been around in different forms for a year now, and is continuing in my car and in others. It would be nice if there were some way to know that GM has heard about it, acknowledges the problem, and let's us know they are actually working on fixing it.

Much as other Bolt owners are helpful and knowledgable on this forum, it would also be nice to hear from GM. Or is there some other place to officially report this stuff or where they post a bug list with status?
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 09:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
I didn't know about that the last time it happened. I'll give it a try next time. However, the previous times the touchscreen was generally unresponsive to anything I tried, so not sure if it will work.
Home and FF buttons aren't on the touchscreen. They are the physical buttons below and to the left, around the volume/power knob. You just have to hold them both for 10 seconds together. The screen won't do anything to let you know you are holding them either.

If you are concerned you aren't doing it right or you don't feel comfortable doing that. Just do the turn the car off, lock it and walk more than 10 feet away for 30 second procedure. It does the same thing, just tells the Bolt it can cycle down the system and it will cycle back up when you unlock, get in and power the car on again.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 09:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
So, does GM read these forums and take note? Obviously there continues to be a serious bug with the infotainment system which has been around in different forms for a year now, and is continuing in my car and in others. It would be nice if there were some way to know that GM has heard about it, acknowledges the problem, and let's us know they are actually working on fixing it.

Much as other Bolt owners are helpful and knowledgable on this forum, it would also be nice to hear from GM. Or is there some other place to officially report this stuff or where they post a bug list with status?
The chevybolt.org forums have a section where a chevy rep does read and answer questions. Not sure why they haven't done that here as well as this one seem to get more traffic.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
"Home and FF buttons aren't on the touchscreen. They are the physical buttons below and to the left, around the volume/power knob. You just have to hold them both for 10 seconds together. The screen won't do anything to let you know you are holding them either."

Oooohhhhh... PHYSICAL buttons!! How very old school. Thanks so much for pointing that out, Peter. I didn't even notice I had physical buttons. That's definately what I'll try first the next time the screen freezes.

Thanks so much for the information and your patience in setting me straight.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a Premier that I purchased at the beginning of February 2017. Until recently, I've had very few issues like this. Lately, it seems to be happening more and more. Originally, it was the steering wheel buttons that wouldn't work. Maybe once in a month. Now, I've had that happen, then the next day my infotainment screen froze, and a couple of days after that (today), the infotainment screen didn't come on at all (the backup camera didn't display, the forward camera didn't display, and the radio was silent). I decided to drive home anyway and about 2 minutes into my drive, it came up and the radio came on. I'm keeping a log of when these things happen (date and time as well as a description of the issue) so that the next time I take my car in for service, I can provide it to the techs. While I'm glad it's not just me (and now I know how to reboot the system), it's disconcerting to have these types of issues with such a new car. I had a 1st generation Prius that I finally gave up to get this car. Sometimes I wish I had the old Prius back as that car gave me almost no problems in the 14 years that I owned it (246,000 miles).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page