User Tag List

6Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Can't Get Replacement Windshield

It has been 3 weeks since I reported my cracked windshield to my Insurance company and they put me with Satellite to have it replaced. It seems that no one can get a replacement windshield (dealers don't have any in stock and can't get any). I don't understand. Obviously they are still making the car and they need to have windshields in inventory. If this is a high failure item then they should have even more in inventory. My crack has grown to almost way across the windshield and I am concerned it will suffer a catastrophic failure. This is my wife's car and she makes a long drive at least once a week. Any ideas on how to get this issue fixed? Anyone to contact at Chevrolet to expedite this process? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
I've driven many vehicles with severely cracked windshields. Main issue is if the crack is in the field of view. Then it's a safety issue. Never had one catastrophically fail. If you've ever tried to remove one, it's pretty obvious they are tough. They're laminated with layers of plastic.
ZoomZoom likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Huh.
I just noticed my windshield is cracked, lower R corner.
Car has 1009 miles, is a month old.
There's no mark or chip from a stone. It seems like a stress fracture, maybe from torqueing via launching from zero to eat-my-dust.
Is windshield covered under warranty? I'm guessing not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
It has been 3 weeks since I reported my cracked windshield to my Insurance company and they put me with Satellite to have it replaced. It seems that no one can get a replacement windshield (dealers don't have any in stock and can't get any). I don't understand. Obviously they are still making the car and they need to have windshields in inventory. If this is a high failure item then they should have even more in inventory. My crack has grown to almost way across the windshield and I am concerned it will suffer a catastrophic failure. This is my wife's car and she makes a long drive at least once a week. Any ideas on how to get this issue fixed? Anyone to contact at Chevrolet to expedite this process? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by ldesaul; 05-11-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldesaul View Post
Huh.
There's no mark or chip from a stone. It seems like a stress fracture, maybe from torqueing via launching from zero to eat-my-dust.
If there's no sign of a cause then it should be covered under warranty. Windshields aren't supposed to just crack on their own.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Update to my cracked windshield post...
The s/o told me it was hit by a pebble from a dump truck on I-70.
And there's not a mark on it.
I'll get with insurance on monday, see if it can be repaired.
(repairs are free with Ameriprise, no premium increase)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldesaul View Post
Huh.

Quote:
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
In my case the chip was so tiny that it was only visible via a fingernail feeling it. However, that is all Chevy needs to disavow any warranty claim. I have one a lot of cars that have gotten small chips from flying stones and never had them crack like this. I think it is a flaw in the glass manufacturer/supplier. Strangely, Chevy can't get windshields from the supplier and none are available anywhere in the country. I guess they can't make any more cars since they can't buy windshields. Maybe they are seeking a different supplier because this should not be happening. It is unfair to stick us with the insurance co-pay and to claim no responsibility for a faulty product that cannot withstand a small stone hit, something that is to be expected in today's driving world. I may have to make a test case out of this by taking them to small claims court (good for up to $10K in CA) to see if that motivates them to resolve this issue.
surgeonFWW likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
In my case the chip was so tiny that it was only visible via a fingernail feeling it. However, that is all Chevy needs to disavow any warranty claim. I have one a lot of cars that have gotten small chips from flying stones and never had them crack like this. I think it is a flaw in the glass manufacturer/supplier. Strangely, Chevy can't get windshields from the supplier and none are available anywhere in the country. I guess they can't make any more cars since they can't buy windshields. Maybe they are seeking a different supplier because this should not be happening. It is unfair to stick us with the insurance co-pay and to claim no responsibility for a faulty product that cannot withstand a small stone hit, something that is to be expected in today's driving world. I may have to make a test case out of this by taking them to small claims court (good for up to $10K in CA) to see if that motivates them to resolve this issue.
It could very well be that the Bolt windshield is thinner than "normal", and thus more susceptible to cracking. Small claims case? Unlikely to win that one. Care to try and sue a manufacturer that uses thinner metal on the panels and is therefor more susceptible to parking lot dents and dings (that you could get billed for on a lease return)? EV's are routinely designed to reduce weight - sometimes those decisions come with trade offs in other areas.

The Fit EV had a similar problem with windscreens. It was the the same shape and size as the ICE version, but was thinner and therefor lighter. People that took stones that chipped/cracked the windscreen waited many weeks to get replacements shipped from Japan. The good news was the Fit EV lease includes comp and collision - both with a $0 deductible.

Gary
2018 Honda Clarity Electric
2014 Honda Fit EV - goodbye after 5 years
(Re)Lease expires Jan 2019
NDEW City Captain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association (OEVA)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The windshield on the 2019 Bolt I bought 3 weeks ago got clobbered by what was apparently meteor and needs to be replaced. None of the glass shops around town even have it in their system, so my only choice is to order it from Chevy for $515+tax, and then also pay for labor to have it installed. Probably shouldn't have purchased a low-volume car if I wanted sanely-priced parts, I guess.
Terry Hancock and ZoomZoom like this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Looks like both OEM and aftermarket windshields are now readily available for the Bolt (Fuyao makes both).

Both GM on-line parts stores and Safelite list four variants, of which only two are relevant for Bolts sold in the US (with and without the crash sensing stuff). The other two variants are for rain sensing wipers (with and without the crash sensing stuff).
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
The windshield on the 2019 Bolt I bought 3 weeks ago got clobbered by what was apparently meteor and needs to be replaced. None of the glass shops around town even have it in their system, so my only choice is to order it from Chevy for $515+tax, and then also pay for labor to have it installed. Probably shouldn't have purchased a low-volume car if I wanted sanely-priced parts, I guess.
"Sanely-priced parts?" Yeahhhhhh, about that. I got some touch-up paint from the dealer the other day. 1/2 ounce (1/4 ounce of paint, and 1/4 ounce of clearcoat, for my red Bolt) cost me 22 bucks. That's well over $5,000 a gallon. Sure, the little container has a nifty little "pen" and a brush and a little abrasive on the cap, but sheesh....
Terry Hancock likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page