User Tag List

2Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Android Auto projection crash

I've had some problems lately with the projection not detected my phone connected by USB cable. The phone is charging yet the projection says "USB device not connected". Usually, this is solved by unplugging and replugging in the phone, but a couple days ago, Waze crashed, then Android Auto crashed and no matter what I did (unplugged, plugged, shut the car off, rebooted the phone, etc.) the projection function would not work, although AA was still working on the phone after I restarted it and the bluetooth connection still carried the audio to the car. After I got home, I uninstalled AA and Waze and reloaded both. The projection seemed to work again, but I don't have confidence that it won't crash again. I have not done an exhaustive test to insure that the cable or phone charging port hasn't been damaged - waiting to see if I have more problems. Anyone else having this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also have been having problems with my Android Auto, although it seems not exactly the same as you describe. My issue is that it was all working fine last week, and about a week ago, when I plugged in my USB cable to my phone, it no longer launches Android Auto at all. I tried lots of things: rebooting phone, clearing data/cache from AA app, reinstalling AA, force restarting the infotainment system (pressing FF and Home buttons until it reboots), different cable, different USB port. I haven't yet tried with a different android phone.

Anyway, I was wondering if your phone recent did a software update? Mine did, and I *think* that coincides with my AA problem, but I'm not 100% sure.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasunde View Post
I've had some problems lately with the projection not detected my phone connected by USB cable. The phone is charging yet the projection says "USB device not connected". Usually, this is solved by unplugging and replugging in the phone, but a couple days ago, Waze crashed, then Android Auto crashed...
IMHO the very first thing to try is a new, known good cable. Plugging and replugging the same cable can damage it over time, and I can easily see intermittent connections causing software issues.
quirkySquirt and psyflyjohn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Ditto what @Sean Nelson recommends. I too had a cable go bad after a while. Never changed my phone and have been running on the current Bolt infotainment firmware for months now. Cable I had was worked fine for the entire summer. Only during the last 2 months did the connection get flaky and once I replaced the cable, my random disconnects while using AA vanished. As of 3 weeks now, the new cable is working fine.

2017 Summit White Bolt LT, VIN #83351, built 8/2017 (real range anxiety now).
2017 Kinetic Blue Volt LT, VIN #11925, built 6/2016. (loved it, only fake range anxiety, but traded due to annoying misfires)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkySquirt View Post
Cable I had was worked fine for the entire summer. Only during the last 2 months did the connection get flaky and once I replaced the cable, my random disconnects while using AA vanished. As of 3 weeks now, the new cable is working fine.
Yeah, I suspect that a USB cable swap may turn out to be a regular maintenance item. Annoying, but still a lot cheaper and easier than an oil change...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Quite amazing that the car is equipped with a wifi radio that can be a client, the phone is equipped with a wifi radio that can be an access point, but this stupid cable needs to be plugged in thereby making AA "Always Awkward."

Less time shopping for skinny pants, more software, young groovy SDs.

All in all it's remarkable how many things in modern cars are almost there but not quite. Like, having to navigate screens to turn on exterior cameras. There needs to be a single button for that always in view.

And about 100 other little things that could be fixed by flipping a few bits.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
For me, Pixel 2XL - the reason this happened was because the USB3 port on the phone had died. Wish I had paid attention (it was still charging) before it went solidly dead as I couldn't back up to transfer to the replacement phone.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 02:31 PM

It's only about 5 years too soon to pretend that Android Auto is a substitute for an actual navigation option for these cars (says the person who struggled with keeping navigation running yesterday while on trip from Seattle to Ucluelet BC).

Talk about driver distractions. Yeesh.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostrom View Post
It's only about 5 years too soon to pretend that Android Auto is a substitute for an actual navigation option for these cars (says the person who struggled with keeping navigation running yesterday while on trip from Seattle to Ucluelet BC).

Talk about driver distractions. Yeesh.
I use Google Maps via Android Auto all the time with my Bolt and don't have any issues with it. And that includes long trips that are well out of cell signal territory. The only issue I've had is that you can't start navigating somewhere without a cell signal, but once you've started navigation it continues quite happily, signal or no.

And re: your comment about distractions - I can do everything I need via voice commands, and the navigation instructions come out via voice as well, so I'm not seeing what would be distracting about it...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:05 PM

That's often been my experience, Sean.

Yesterday's experience was the Law of Murphy dictating that the previously reliable USB cable (the cable currently substituting for a complete and proper integration of AA) connecting the phone to the car became janky, meaning that we had frequent disconnects/fiddling with said cable, with interruption of nav each time.

Then-- while traversing Nanaimo-- one of our passengers innocently plugged in their iPhone to one of the front USB connectors, not realizing that the current half-baked arrangement would result in no navigation being available at all until the car was brought to a complete halt, shut down, restarted.

No amount of talking to a disconnected phone or listening for instructions from a wedged software stack will result in any useful outcome.

Those things are distracting.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page