1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sibilance

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Out of BASIC warranty or IN Extended Warranty Repairs

The long standing debate on how worthwhile or useless extended warranties are, and specifically as it pertains to the EV car world and the Bolt. I'd be a bit curious for those that are out of the basic warranty to chime in with any issues they had and what the costs to repair them at the dealership or however it was rectified was. I paid $1836 to extend my manufacturer warranty to 7 years/100K miles, in addition to my model year having the 8/100 Battery/Drive warranty. I'm not sure of the number of active members here on the forum is so clearly, statistically, it's a crap shoot but this might help future buyers decide. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
I am at 52,000 miles and I haven't had any work on my Bolt. Only thing that happened to me was early on I had a small pebble stick in my brake shield that sounded horrible. 0 warranty work done in 52,000 miles.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I only have 600 miles on my Bolt, but my 2014 Volt did have one under warranty repair.

Some sort of sealed metal box containing what the tech described as the 12V battery charging system as well as a stepper that brought charging voltage from the wall down to 14 V or so, PLUS some guts that allowed the 12V computer components to safely interact with traction battery components.

It failed and my 12 V battery threw a low voltage error. With the added bonus of a continual angry bees plus growling cats sound coming from the rear cargo area.

This happened at ~7000 miles.

The only non cosmetic repair the car has ever needed, 100 percent covered by the basic warranty and or the drive train / voltec warranty.

Before that I had a GTI, which had a high pressure fuel pump go out at 15000 miles, and had a recall for the DSG gearbox, which was replaced entirely under warranty at 40K. 10 thousand before the basic covers everything warranty, and well before the ~80k drive train warranty, which would have covered that.

Before THAT, I had a Nissan Maxima, which had an HVAC part that controls where air flows to go out. At 20 K miles. Covered under basic.

Before THAT, I had an Acura RSX. The passenger side seat harness shorted out, disabling the air bag on that side. Replaced under warranty at about 1000 miles.

See the pattern here?

I tend to hold onto cars until at least 120 K miles. My Volt has been the exception which I am going to give to my neighbor / best friend, who has had a lot of horrible financial trouble lately. It has 78 K miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibilance View Post
I only have 600 miles on my Bolt, but my 2014 Volt did have one under warranty repair.

See the pattern here?
I do. I have not had that kind of luck that you have experienced. I'm not going to list all my extended warranty saves, last time I suggested I broke about even I got psycho-analyzed and questioned on that. I have only owned one car over 5 years, a Chevy Beretta I bought new in 1989. I have never hit 100,000 on a car except that Beretta. I have never owned a car that I did not use my extended warranty so I would love to reverse that trend personally. My 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 has had 3 out of basic warranty repairs, albeit two were bearing seals and one electrical. I haven't broken even on that one upon further review but I paid a lot more for that warranty than I did the Bolt. I'm hoping to see some information on actual repairs to Bolts over the coming years here. I will be sure to post mine with attachments. Hope I have none, and I can report that as well.

Last edited by ZoomZoom; 04-06-2019 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Got year wrong on Chevy Beretta
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Garage
36K miles and 28 months of ownership. Zero failures. Zero maintenance.

$6 bucks for washer solvent is all I've spent on the car. Put that warranty money in
the bank and be your own warranty admin.

2017 Loaded Premier in Summit White
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
I do. I have not had that kind of luck that you have experienced. I'm not going to list all my extended warranty saves, last time I suggested I broke about even I got psycho-analyzed and questioned on that.

Hey, nothing wrong with buying an extended warranty if it makes you feel better. I've just tried very hard to choose cars that seem somewhat reliable. (With the exception of my GTI, which I bought because I REALLY wanted a sleeper hot hatch, unreliability be damned. Somehow lucked out on that one.)

Before I buy a car, I try to picture myself paying a tenth of its price at some point to fix something, and if I can't see myself being able to pay that out of pocket, I just don't buy the car.

It's one of the things that made me wary of buying a used Tesla. Yes, I know Tesla has Certified Preowned programs, but I hold onto cars so long that I have to factor in the loss of those first 10, 20, or 30 k miles new.
ZoomZoom likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page