User Tag List

31Likes

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
twice now…

twice now I've inadvertently left my Bolt plugged in while away on a trip…and come back to a 100% dead as a door nail Bolt - jumping the 12 volt battery has "recovered" the beast - but the car is sooooooo dead when in this circumstance that even that is an iffy and time consuming process...

now I know the manual says you're not supposed to leave it plugged in - and other times I've gone away and left it unplugged...

but it seems to me that _IF_ you leave it plugged in for several days you shouldn't be rewarded with a dead car upon returning from your trip.

has this happened to anyone else, any idea why the 12 volt is dying even when the car is plugged into shore power?

the latest event left some Tranmission/Motor fault codes in the car's computer that I'm going to have to visit the dealer to get things cleared up...I'll also discuss with them my experience and see what they say.
hatchy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
I "thought" you were supposed to leave the Bolt plugged in when they are parked at home?

Rich
cwerdna and NewsCoulomb like this.

Rich
Cape Cod, MA/Green Valley AZ
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
The official instructions are more complicated than that. It depends on how long you are leaving the car unattended. Seems pretty dumb that this can even happen... regardless of that.
cwerdna, NewsCoulomb and MarksBolt like this.

Chevy EVSE = Only EVSE. 18 months and counting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I was away for two weeks this winter. It was about 25 degrees during that time. I left my bolt plugged in for two weeks, in case it needed conditioning. Got home, no conditioning, but full batteries and no worries. I think you and the dealer need to talk, this should not happen. Let us know what you find out, that must be extremely frustrating.
NewsCoulomb and MarksBolt like this.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Something's wrong. Get the dealer to diagnose. What was the SOC on the main battery when you plugged in, and what was it after you jumped the 12V battery?
NewsCoulomb and Terry Hancock like this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Ours has been plugged in every night for two years. Sometimes driven every day, sometimes left for two weeks; zero issues. Something is wrong with your car or your charger or your electrical service.

jack vines
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
If you leave the car for less than 4 weeks, you are supposed to leave it plugged in.

The algorithm (previously) posted on this site says that the firmware in the car checks the battery voltage more often when plugged in. (However, I think that the logic posted is not good enough == too low voltage before charging 12V)

You should *never* have returned to a dead 12V battery (if less than 4 weeks).

If the vehicle is still under warranty, get the battery tested, and get a new battery. (It might have sat for too long at a dealer lot, improperly (or not) charged, and the 12V battery is probably crap at this point.)

I have maintained for quite a while, that a quality "battery maintainer" (1A or less charge) is a great (possibly even "needed") accessory for EV owners. I "maintain" my EV 12V battery twice a month (a full "saturation" charge).

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving ...
you need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Do you keep the keyfob near the car (within about 15ft, even if on the other side of a wall)?

Many vehicles will not go into standby mode unless the keyfob is NOT detected.

Vampire loads are pretty easy to test by process of elimination, pulling fuses until the parasitic load comes down to a reasonable amount. Might as well have the dealer look at it, but I trust myself to get it done faster and more competently.
Droidish likes this.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by redpoint5; 04-15-2019 at 06:41 PM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltee View Post
I was away for two weeks this winter. It was about 25 degrees during that time. I left my bolt plugged in for two weeks, in case it needed conditioning. Got home, no conditioning, but full batteries and no worries. I think you and the dealer need to talk, this should not happen. Let us know what you find out, that must be extremely frustrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Tom View Post
Something's wrong. Get the dealer to diagnose. What was the SOC on the main battery when you plugged in, and what was it after you jumped the 12V battery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard V8 View Post
Ours has been plugged in every night for two years. Sometimes driven every day, sometimes left for two weeks; zero issues. Something is wrong with your car or your charger or your electrical service.

jack vines
I second, third, fourth all of the above. As I recall, you've had a number of issues with your Bolt EV (including several that are completely unrelated to a 12 V battery dying while on a trip). Maybe you should escalate this to GM corporate so they can do a thorough diagnostic of the entire vehicle, mechanical and software.

Every car model has the potential for a lemon here or there, but the Bolt EV is literally the most reliable EV sold. Your circumstances seem rather unique, and you'd probably be hard pressed finding another Bolt EV owner who has encountered anything similar. It's time to talk to the people who actually designed and built the car.
Terry Hancock and Droidish like this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkE View Post
If the vehicle is still under warranty, get the battery tested, and get a new battery. (It might have sat for too long at a dealer lot, improperly (or not) charged, and the 12V battery is probably crap at this point.)
I second, third, fourth all of the above.

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving ...
you need a parachute to go skydiving twice.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page