Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear Axle Assembly Replaced

Bolt LT
1/2017 built date
17500 miles

Rear of the car making ticking noises going over bumps or changes in speed at low speed, worsening over course of a month.
Dealer had to order the part, waited for about a month, replaced under warranty.

I do have a rear hitch that I occasionally pit a rear basket on, don't think it has anything to do with it.
cwerdna likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puregsr View Post
Bolt LT
1/2017 built date
17500 miles

Rear of the car making ticking noises going over bumps or changes in speed at low speed, worsening over course of a month.
Dealer had to order the part, waited for about a month, replaced under warranty.

I do have a rear hitch that I occasionally pit a rear basket on, don't think it has anything to do with it.
I had mine replaced under warranty and never installed a hitch. Mine made noise from day one and creaked at low speeds over uneven surfaces. Mine took several months to get as they said it was being redesigned. Has been fine since the replacement five months ago.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ12 View Post
I had mine replaced under warranty and never installed a hitch. Mine made noise from day one and creaked at low speeds over uneven surfaces. Mine took several months to get as they said it was being redesigned. Has been fine since the replacement five months ago.
I once or twice had a ticking noise that sounded like a stone in a tire at low speed. I turned the radio up.

Chevy Bolt EV driver since July 1, 2017
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmichel View Post
I once or twice had a ticking noise that sounded like a stone in a tire at low speed. I turned the radio up.
funny that you mention the radio. I only heard it when my wife would ride with me. When I'm by myself I always have the radio on. But turn the radio off when my wife rides in the car. That's when I would hear it. But one day my wife was backing the car out of the drive and I got the chance to hear it from outside the car and it was very noticeable. Embarrassing really to have a quiet electric car that makes a noise like it has a loose muffler bracket.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Unread Today, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mine is going to be replaced in July. Shortage of new parts. I suspect they obsoleted the original design and have solved the problem with the new design that is carried over on the newer models. Yes, embarrassing and very annoying... but not a safety hazard (per my dealer). Mine makes noise when I accelerate / decelerate on a smooth road or back out of my driveway. Rubber bushing is part of axle assembly so not a simple bushing repair. Get it fixed before the 3 year 36k warranty runs out if you notice it....
cwerdna likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Unread Today, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
is there a TSB or recall for this?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Unread Today, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyEV View Post
Mine makes noise when I accelerate / decelerate on a smooth road or back out of my driveway. Rubber bushing is part of axle assembly so not a simple bushing repair. Get it fixed before the 3 year 36k warranty runs out if you notice it....
hmm that explains it. I live on a dirt road, and drive on lousy rural roads. None of those smooth roads around here. Good, I won't hear this tick until we have a multi-trillion dollar national infrastructure project in full swing. Meanwhile.dot.dot.dot.dot. I am keeping my radio on.

Chevy Bolt EV driver since July 1, 2017
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Unread Today, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puregsr View Post
Bolt LT
1/2017 built date
17500 miles

I wouldn't have called the "H" member an axle (#1 in the diagram), but I do see that GM lists it that way. I'm surprised this had to be replaced, and I'm now curious as to what a redesign is for this part and how it differs from the 2017's to my 2019.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-06-12 at 1.38.56 PM.png
Views:	0
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	25739  

2019 Bolt LT, DCFC, C&C, DC1, DC2, Blk Bow Ties