My radiator shutter is damaged - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

 12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My radiator shutter is damaged

Yeah, I didn't know I had one. Here's the story:
I was stopped at a red light, which turned green and I started across the intersection. A driver ran the light and clipped my car in the front. I just got the repair estimate.... bumper, headlight, etc..and the radiator shutter. The insurance adjuster explained it varied the flow of air to the "engine". I think he meant what we used to call the engine compartment, or the front of the car under the hood. Can anyone add more info on the radiator shutter and/or point me to a part diagram? thanks
The Other Tom is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:52 PM
Senior Member
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,410
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
The PN is 23278689 and it looks like it goes for about $115.

BTW- Engine and Motor are synonymous. The Bolt still has an engine bay, because that's where the electric engine (motor) resides. No idea when people began differentiating motors as electric, and engines as internal combustion, but the terms are interchangeable, which is why you have to specify what kind of engine (steam, internal combustion, electric, etc).

Active shutters block the grill when cooling isn't necessary, which improves aerodynamic efficiency. You'll notice a trend these days of ICE vehicles having enormous grills, but upon closer inspection half of it is blocked out. It gives the impression of being massively inefficient (huge radiator to dissipate waste heat), while not being quite that inefficient.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by redpoint5; 06-14-2019 at 02:56 PM.
redpoint5 is online now  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:44 PM
Senior Member
 
GregBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 2,217
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The PN is 23278689 and it looks like it goes for about $115.

BTW- Engine and Motor are synonymous. The Bolt still has an engine bay, because that's where the electric engine (motor) resides. No idea when people began differentiating motors as electric, and engines as internal combustion, but the terms are interchangeable, which is why you have to specify what kind of engine (steam, internal combustion, electric, etc).

Active shutters block the grill when cooling isn't necessary, which improves aerodynamic efficiency. You'll notice a trend these days of ICE vehicles having enormous grills, but upon closer inspection half of it is blocked out. It gives the impression of being massively inefficient (huge radiator to dissipate waste heat), while not being quite that inefficient.

"No idea when people began differentiating motors as electric, and engines as internal combustion, but the terms are interchangeable."


My neighbor when I was young lad, a diesel mechanic (in 1969), would have disagreed with you. "Drills have motors and cars have engines" was a common refrain from him.

Driving electric since 1997!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GregBrew is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrew View Post

My neighbor when I was young lad, a diesel mechanic (in 1969), would have disagreed with you. "Drills have motors and cars have engines" was a common refrain from him.
Agreed. Generally an engine drives something by producing (converting) energy and a motor is driven by consuming energy.

Of course this is all dictated by common usage at the time. So for all the trolls, yes we all know it hasn't always been this way and it may change in the future.

Hope your repairs go smoothly OP. If you're still driving it, just make sure that grill vent stays open and you shouldn't make anything worse.
XJ12 likes this.
wrillo is online now  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Anyone know where they got the radiator shutter idea? Does another EV have one? Any other car have one? Hard to believe it's worth $115 of efficiency. But of course that's not GMs cost. I'm torn between it's Rube Goldberg nature and not wanting to argue with anything giving me that extra 1000 feet of range which may save me from being dead on the road some day .

2019 Bolt LT with FC & DC II, named Orion L-ion
2013 LEAF S with QC, named Leafy McLeaf Face
2014 Prius v
Schneider EVLink L2 EVSE
Like2bike is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,169
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2bike View Post
Anyone know where they got the radiator shutter idea? Does another EV have one? Any other car have one? Hard to believe it's worth $115 of efficiency. But of course that's not GMs cost. I'm torn between it's Rube Goldberg nature and not wanting to argue with anything giving me that extra 1000 feet of range which may save me from being dead on the road some day .
I suggest you tear that junk out, and throw it away. I am sure it won't make any difference in you highway range. Those engineers at GM don't know anything. They just want to waste your money.
PhilR likes this.
GJETSON is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:29 AM
Senior Member
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,410
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrillo View Post
Generally an engine drives something by producing (converting) energy and a motor is driven by consuming energy.

Of course this is all dictated by common usage at the time. So for all the trolls, yes we all know it hasn't always been this way and it may change in the future.
All motors/engines drive things by consuming energy, or rather, they convert forms of energy into mechanical energy. An electric motor converts chemical energy in batteries to mechanical, and likewise, an ICE converts chemical energy in petrol into mechanical energy.

People have been using motor to refer to car engines forever. "My motors blown". Definition is driven by word usage, which is why they are interchangeable terms. That, and the definition in any of the most popular dictionaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2bike View Post
Anyone know where they got the radiator shutter idea? Does another EV have one? Any other car have one? Hard to believe it's worth $115 of efficiency. But of course that's not GMs cost. I'm torn between it's Rube Goldberg nature and not wanting to argue with anything giving me that extra 1000 feet of range which may save me from being dead on the road some day .
Grill blocks are done by many members on the fuel efficiency forums (ecomodder.com). The benefit can be measured by doing coastdown tests. You would leave the shutter open on a few runs, get up to a certain speed on a flat and empty road, then shift to neutral and see how long it takes to coast down to some lower speed. Then repeat a few times with the shutter closed.

Plenty of other vehicles have them; not just EVs. I didn't even know EVs had them considering the small grill opening in the first place. They are designed to default open, so if there's an electrical or signaling problem the car doesn't overheat.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by redpoint5; 06-16-2019 at 01:17 AM.
redpoint5 is online now  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:05 PM
Senior Member
 
surgeonFWW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to surgeonFWW
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The PN is 23278689 and it looks like it goes for about $115.

BTW- Engine and Motor are synonymous. ... No idea when people began differentiating motors as electric, and engines as internal combustion, but the terms are interchangeable, ...
The terms may be grammatically interchangeable, but around these here parts, we have electric motors and fuel burning (internal combustion) engines. We have very few steam engines (except for the Cass Scenic Railway in the hills of Pocahontas County).

Rick's blue Bolt
surgeonFWW is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:45 PM
Senior Member
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,410
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeonFWW View Post
The terms may be grammatically interchangeable, but around these here parts, we have electric motors and fuel burning (internal combustion) engines. We have very few steam engines (except for the Cass Scenic Railway in the hills of Pocahontas County).
... and if you were looking at a vintage car, and the owner said the motors seized up, would that be very strange to hear?

Phraseology can often predict with a fairly high degree of accuracy where a person was raised, or spent a significant portion of their time.

I always like to share this fun link to a quiz that attempts to locate you based on grammar choice.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-quiz-map.html
surgeonFWW likes this.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
redpoint5 is online now  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2bike View Post
Anyone know where they got the radiator shutter idea? Does another EV have one? Any other car have one? Hard to believe it's worth $115 of efficiency. But of course that's not GMs cost. I'm torn between it's Rube Goldberg nature and not wanting to argue with anything giving me that extra 1000 feet of range which may save me from being dead on the road some day .

Active grill shutters exist on other cars:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...lp-improve-mpg
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/act...fficiency.html
At highway speeds, the faster airflow reduces the number of grill openings needed for cooling, so closing some of the grill openings can improve aerodynamics (which is a big drag on highway economy).



Presumably, the cost is much less than $115 at the factory. Managing individual parts as repair/replacement parts through the brand's retail supply chain adds considerable cost. Buying all of the individual parts that make up a car from the dealer parts counter costs several times as much as buying the car.
Raymondjram likes this.

Last edited by boltage; 06-15-2019 at 11:53 PM.
boltage is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome