User Tag List

6Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Flaky Key FOB

One of my 2017 Bolt FOBs is intermittent. Twice now it has somewhat died for a short time and then been fine. The battery is ok. Last week I went to get in the car using the door button. That worked, but the car alarm then went off. I used the FOB to silence it. Then I had to put the FOB in its pocket to start the car just that one time. Since then it's been fine, again.

I went for my last free dealer visit yesterday for tire rotation and checkup, since the car will be 2 in a week. After declining the oil change ($90), I asked them about the FOB problem. They checked for OBD fault codes (car body, not engine codes) and found none. They said a FOB failure normally throws a code.

Any ideas? Is the FOB warranty 1-year or something else? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Garage
RFI is very common. Don't worry about it. Put a new battery in the FOB if concerned!
Terry Hancock likes this.

2017 Loaded Premier in Summit White

Last edited by drdiesel1; 06-20-2019 at 03:00 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Never thought of RFI...could be. I won't be back to where it happened last week ever [during a trip]. If it happens again in a local I frequent I will see if it's reproducible. Thx.
drdiesel1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
yes. I'm also getting some remote not detected errors; there's a separate thread on here regarding this, though. I think I'm just going to get a new battery for the FOB. Since it's happening to a few others with 2017 Bolts; mine is a very early one (Dec. 2016). So it's very likely just a battery that needs to be replaced.
drdiesel1 likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
BoltFan, I've only had my Bolt since end of April (and just under 2,000 miles) and find I never touch my FOB. Locking and unlocking the door is easy while wearing the FOB, and I've never found the need to start the car or use whatever else is available through one of them.

I've taken the two factory FOBs, and, after duplicating them (one for the wife, one for me), I leave the original FOBs at home, in a nice safe place. That way I can duplicate other FOBs as needed. Keep in mind, you'll need the OEM FOBs when making others.

Here's the place I went for the dups. Every time I've bought one they had a 10% off sale..:

https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2...gaAueCEALw_wcB

If you so desire, you'll have to have the keys cut on the dups, as they are, of course, just blanks.

Duplicating the FOBs was a cinch. Just follow the directions (in the manual, I believe) to the "T" and you'll be all set.

Rich

Rich
Cape Cod, MA/Green Valley AZ
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltFan View Post
yes. I'm also getting some remote not detected errors; there's a separate thread on here regarding this, though. I think I'm just going to get a new battery for the FOB. Since it's happening to a few others with 2017 Bolts; mine is a very early one (Dec. 2016). So it's very likely just a battery that needs to be replaced.
It's not the battery - that's the first thing I checked. Could be RFI as previously noted. Using "remote not detected" I found those other threads - thanks! They didn't show up searching for key fob.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
BoltFan, I've only had my Bolt since end of April (and just under 2,000 miles) and find I never touch my FOB. Locking and unlocking the door is easy while wearing the FOB, and I've never found the need to start the car or use whatever else is available through one of them.

I've taken the two factory FOBs, and, after duplicating them (one for the wife, one for me), I leave the original FOBs at home, in a nice safe place. That way I can duplicate other FOBs as needed. Keep in mind, you'll need the OEM FOBs when making others.

Here's the place I went for the dups. Every time I've bought one they had a 10% off sale..:

https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2...gaAueCEALw_wcB

If you so desire, you'll have to have the keys cut on the dups, as they are, of course, just blanks.

Duplicating the FOBs was a cinch. Just follow the directions (in the manual, I believe) to the "T" and you'll be all set.

Rich
Thanks, Rich! I never considered this but it's a great idea! Much appreciated!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallen View Post
It's not the battery - that's the first thing I checked. Could be RFI as previously noted. Using "remote not detected" I found those other threads - thanks! They didn't show up searching for key fob.
How did you "check" ?

2017 Loaded Premier in Summit White
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallen View Post

As an experiment, you can get the Bolt to turn on with a FOB that has a dead battery (this would tell you the FOB is OK at any rate). The directions are in the manual someplace, but, in short, you place the FOB, face down in the bottom-most part of the armrest cubbyhole. There's a little spot, which will be obvious once you see it, for the FOB to be sitting in.

Then just start the Bolt as you normally would.

Rich

Rich
Cape Cod, MA/Green Valley AZ
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdiesel1 View Post
How did you "check" ?
Measured the battery with a DVM. Got > 3 volts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page