NPR Norway Ampera-E - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
NPR Norway Ampera-E

Monday night, NPR ran a story on EV's in Norway. They said the Ampera-e had a 15 month backlog. That is certainly different than Fremont Chevrolet that had over 100 in stock the last time I talked to the salesman. Of course, they have incredible subsides in Norway and a government that support the switch over to electric vehicles. The NPR story showed quite a bit of detail on the Ampera-e and while they mentioned it was a collaboration between Opel and GM they never mentioned that the Bolts are being sold in the US. Looked virtually identical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
holy cow, and I thought the U.S. rollout was slow, but a 15 month backlog for the Ampera-E sounds a whole lot worse. Technically, Chevy is under GM so I guess it's an indirect way of mentioning Chevy.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
In the Netherlands, last year they said ordering would be possible 2017Q1. But submitting orders was not possible before end of april. And now they say delivery will start mid 2018. Only one or two hands full of "top spec" cars may be delivered in the fourth 2017Q4.

I have submitted an order, hoping to get my hands on one of those. But I am not very optimistic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
To my knowledge, Opel had zero to do with the Bolt... I mean Ampera e. Maybe the collaboration cited was about the placement of the Opel badging on the Chevy. I guess now that Opel belongs to PSA, there is a limited purchase agreement though.

2017 Bolt LT Orange Burst
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Holy moly that is absolutely horrendous. But for what reason is it on such a serious backlog? And if that's what the backlog is like, what's the order books looking like over there?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro View Post
Holy moly that is absolutely horrendous. But for what reason is it on such a serious backlog? And if that's what the backlog is like, what's the order books looking like over there?
That's similar to what's happening here in Canada. Where I live in British Columbia I understand that there were only 70 Bolts allocated for the entire province, and no more will be delivered until next year.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
GM is allocating the limited number of vehicles where they will do the most good : places where they get CARB/ZEV credits.

I think (my opinion) that they are starting slow and slowly ramping up production to get all the bugs worked out. Who wants to recall 45,000 cars for updates/upgrades? Considering the complaints about the seats (same people sitting in 7 different cars will find 2-4 seats OK, 1 or 2 fantastic, and 1-4 crappy) it appears to be a good thing that the car is being rolled out slowly.

Since GM has sold Opel, I would guess that the absolute smallest number of Ampera-e vehicles that they can get away with contractually will be delivered to Europe.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkE View Post
I think (my opinion) that they are starting slow and slowly ramping up production to get all the bugs worked out.
I am eagerly awaiting some evidence of this...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkE View Post
GM is allocating the limited number of vehicles where they will do the most good : places where they get CARB/ZEV credits.

I think (my opinion) that they are starting slow and slowly ramping up production to get all the bugs worked out. Who wants to recall 45,000 cars for updates/upgrades? Considering the complaints about the seats (same people sitting in 7 different cars will find 2-4 seats OK, 1 or 2 fantastic, and 1-4 crappy) it appears to be a good thing that the car is being rolled out slowly.

Since GM has sold Opel, I would guess that the absolute smallest number of Ampera-e vehicles that they can get away with contractually will be delivered to Europe.
Agreed. I think they are being cautious about a product that they know could have significant bugs. The threads here at this site illustrate that potential. They really don't want to have massive recalls, or service issues effecting a huge number of cars across the world.

They have dumped a good number in CARB/ZEV states to help them build as many pick ups and Cameros as people want. In those CARB/ZEV states one would expect Bolts to be selling really well, but they're not. Why would GM want cars sitting on lots all around the world? If you can't sell your electric car in California, why would the chances be better in Canada, Norway, or any other state?

Having said that, I do think they should send all future production to those places to meet whatever demand there is. California clearly has enough Bolts on hand to meet demand here.

2017 Bolt LT Orange Burst

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page