35Likes

post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Front Seat Fix

I got my new Bolt EV LT yesterday after a lot of testing of the front seats. While I found that raising the seat height helps shift weight forward and somewhat off the ridges towards the back, I couldn't find an adjustment point that was totally satisfying.

This youtube video with a fix may be posted somewhere on ChevyBolt.org, but just in case... here you go. These directions are great!

What's not covered in the video is how much and what shaped of foam to use. I have photos of what we just did.

We purchased a roll of high density cushion foam at Joann Fabrics. It was 1 inch thick. 24x36 inch is plenty, though our roll was six feet, in case we experimented too much :-)

As noted in the video, heated seats have a cable to avoid, so we came up with the following pattern. It was easy to slide in left and right halves, plus a little extra across the back. This provides a wonderful boost to seat cushiness above the ridges.

This worked with a cloth seat for us. The original youtuber, robertlmathews, upgraded leather seats, so I assume that can work either way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat Fix.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	7426  
Bazinga, jagger and Wyvern like this.

Gary Aulfinger
The Bolt EV LT is our 5th Chevy electric. The best keep getting better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
The heating element is just a cable that goes through the middle? Always thought it was a maze of them under the foam.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
The heating element is just a cable that goes through the middle? Always thought it was a maze of them under the foam.
Yes, there's a pattern of wire on the foam surface which makes up the element, but the OP is referring to the main wires connecting the element to the vehicle's wiring harness. This main connection wire is in the middle of the cushion. Check out the photos I posted here: https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/11-ex...s-begun-4.html

2017 Bolt EV LT in Kinetic Blue
Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association (VEVA) Member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaulfinger View Post
I got my new Bolt EV LT yesterday after a lot of testing of the front seats. While I found that raising the seat height helps shift weight forward and somewhat off the ridges towards the back, I couldn't find an adjustment point that was totally satisfying.

This youtube video with a fix may be posted somewhere on ChevyBolt.org, but just in case... here you go. These directions are great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dgxWTOnVn8

What's not covered in the video is how much and what shaped of foam to use. I have photos of what we just did.

We purchased a roll of high density cushion foam at Joann Fabrics. It was 1 inch thick. 24x36 inch is plenty, though our roll was six feet, in case we experimented too much :-)

As noted in the video, heated seats have a cable to avoid, so we came up with the following pattern. It was easy to slide in left and right halves, plus a little extra across the back. This provides a wonderful boost to seat cushiness above the ridges.

This worked with a cloth seat for us. The original youtuber, robertlmathews, upgraded leather seats, so I assume that can work either way.
I am planning to add foam to front seat and this is extremely helpful, thanks for sharing that picture with measurements!! Do you know exact item name/number that you got from Joann? Also will going for thicker foam like 1.5 or 2 inches would mean even more comfort?
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
The 1 inch thickness fit nicely toward the front of the seat and I was able to add 2 inches at the back of the cushion. It may take 2 inches across the whole area, but I bet it would be more challenging to get in there. It would probably make the upholstery rather taut. With the 2nd strip I added across the back, the side retainer clips were already putting up resistance to clip on.

The foam was generically stacked on shelves. They had several densities and chose the stiffest one.

Gary Aulfinger
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I also got some cheap 1 inch foam off amazon and cut them into 7.5" x 10". Stack 3 up and shoved them in, turned out to be too much, bulging too much, took out 1 layer and it's been great.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
any tips on adding foam to the seat 'back' ? like in the lumbar area ?
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
My wife and I are pondering the same thing, maybe adding a 1/2 inch? We haven't figured out how to open up the seat yet. There's an airbag in there, so it demands even more caution than the heater...

If we come with anything, I'll be sure to post it here.

Gary Aulfinger
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaulfinger View Post
My wife and I are pondering the same thing, maybe adding a 1/2 inch? We haven't figured out how to open up the seat yet. There's an airbag in there, so it demands even more caution than the heater...

If we come with anything, I'll be sure to post it here.
Don't worry about the airbag, it's completely enclosed in a hard plastic case. Just try not to destroy any wiring.

I've had the seat completely apart as part of my seat swap project but I'm having a hard time remembering how the bottom of the cover is held in place. I know there are two tabs of fabric that wrap around the bottom and get pinned on the back side beneath the plastic cover, can't remember if there's anything else. Will have to go look tomorrow (the passenger seat is still half disassembled).

ps if you want some pics of the inside of the seats, look in the interior section for my seat swap project, pics posted there.
gaulfinger likes this.

2017 Bolt EV LT in Kinetic Blue
Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association (VEVA) Member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page