post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotaledJetta View Post
Maybe I am too much of an Apple Fan Boi, but I find Apple Maps and Siri's voice through Apple Play works quite well. I like to load the destination before jumping the the car and then it works well. Took me a while to figure out how to get her voice at the right audio level, but seems fine now. When I take a different route, it recalculates quickly. I suppose someday, I will drive into a lagoon, but until then I am happy.
I'm glad it works for you. I find it slower than other apps and not as good in terms of giving me a "head's up" as to what lane I should be in, etc, when I'm in new locales. The voice directions could also come sooner as I find that with traffic, I'm always in the wrong lane when the app wants me to turn.

Then again being a city boy, I get lost a lot. When it comes down to it, I'd rather keep my eye on the road than on the map.

Here's the magnetic mount without the phone attached.

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr
LouWillie likes this.

FAIR is a four letter "F" word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
My problem with google maps is that the infotainment system takes too long to switch over to the phone. An instruction like, "in half a mile, turn left," comes out as, "turn left." This happens whether I have the phone connected through USB or Bluetooth. I don't have this problem with Apple CarPlay and Apple maps.

Unfortunately, the Lyft app doesn't work with CarPlay or Apple maps. I must disconnect both USB and Bluetooth when giving Lyft rides.

Ed
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Here is the Boltphone. Made by the same guy that makes the Boltshelf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170413_221533046_1492223635579.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	3162   Click image for larger version

Name:	14922236499661216846890_1492223695908.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	3170  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
I'm glad it works for you. I find it slower than other apps and not as good in terms of giving me a "head's up" as to what lane I should be in, etc, when I'm in new locales. The voice directions could also come sooner as I find that with traffic, I'm always in the wrong lane when the app wants me to turn.

Then again being a city boy, I get lost a lot. When it comes down to it, I'd rather keep my eye on the road than on the map.

Here's the magnetic mount without the phone attached.

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr
Thanks for this. It works perfectly. I can't imagine a better phone solution.

I have mine oriented horizontal with the plug/bottom of phone pointed to driver. Advice: do a dry run on how you want to the phone to sit. I have my metal plate attached to the phone on the drivers side at the top of the horizontal layout.

Last edited by UsayingBolt; 04-17-2017 at 12:25 PM.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I stopped using this magnetic solution when I started to go through pixel phones in alarming quantity. My current mount is magnetic free and so far has not been anything other than awesome. Actually as I use Android Auto there is no need to mount the phone, I usually whack it into the wifi fast charger slot upside down so the cable can get plugged in.

Android Auto does need more call management work though, it is this aspect that makes me unplug and use the phone while driving.

It needs to be easier to operate calls and calendars with webex and such audio conferencing tools. I spend a lot of time on the road so taking calls is important.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWB126 View Post
I stopped using this magnetic solution when I started to go through pixel phones in alarming quantity.
What were the symptoms you experienced?
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
the voice part stopped working, ie the phone part of a smartphone, eventually i could not make or get phone calls but for some reason it was great as a computer, that all worked fine. I was told there were solder flow issues on pixels that was recently fixed but I am not chancing it again, they seem rather delicate to electromagnetic pulses as well as strong magnets and such.

my high voltage lab antics also don't help, i keep my cell phone well out of the way locked up in a lead lined drawer in my desk.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage
Super strong neodymium magnets are not a great idea next to electronics in general. I also would avoid theses type of mounts.
Nook likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current: '17 Bolt EV | '13 Honda Civic Hybrid
Previous: '14 Rav 4 EV |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| '12 Mercedes GL450 |
| '08 Lexus LS460 |
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
O.o the one I'm using has Neodymium magnet. Granted it goes in the vent, but would this damage my phone?
Car Mount
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
RE: safety of magnetic phone mounts

I found this article that goes over the possible issues using a magnetic phone mount: https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...s-hard-drives/

Seems the worst that will happen with any modern smartphone is the compass may be jacked up.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page