It's the Bolt Bluetooth volume - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
It's the Bolt Bluetooth volume

With data from 2 devices, and iPhone X and a Pixel XL, I feel confident in saying that it's the Bolt that for some reason plays sound via Bluetooth orders of magnitude lower than from any other source, including from the same devices connected via CarPlay/Android Auto. with both devices, now, I've been playing music that was stored on the device via CarPlay/Android Auto, disconnected the cable, and selected the sound source as the device via Bluetooth. What once was a reasonable volume becomes barely discernible--and that's with the car parked in a quiet garage.

On another thread, someone claimed that the volumes are set separately, that you can adjust the Bluetooth volume only when Bluetooth is connected. I disagree. Multiple times I have increased the volume while playing from Bluetooth and switched sound sources, only to be practically blasted out of the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I definitely agree. The FM/XM radio sources are a lot louder than USB and Bluetooth. Well, I haven't messed around with Bluetooth much, except a bit with Android Auto connected. That's pretty much the same thing. I mainly listen via USB player. But yeah, these sources are a huge difference in volume and much quieter. This has been discussed in various forums and even on Reddit. Nobody seems to know anything. I honestly think it's the head unit and/or just how GM powers these sources or something. In my experience, Bluetooth and USB are always much louder than radio sources, but this vehicle it's the opposite. I think we're stuck with this crap. UGH. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I have no clue. LOL.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This is probably not a solution to this problem, but sometimes on the iPhone with Bluetooth, the phone volume control is also active. Don’t know if this applies to the Bolt but worth trying turning up the iPhone volume, if you haven’t, but you undoubtedly have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Garage
This may be a deficiency in the Bluetooth protocol, since it uses FM to transmit sound and the volume is limited to the FM bandwidth used in the transmitter. All my Bluetooth headphones (one brand is Samsung) have low volume, so I have to increase my smartphone volume a bit. Regular plugged in headphones can be extremely loud at the same volume setting.

16kW Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed and ready
EVSE registered at PlugShare.com
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodePop View Post
I definitely agree. The FM/XM radio sources are a lot louder than USB and Bluetooth. . LOL.
FYI, I have a 2019 and switch between FM/XM and USB with no change in volume. I have never tested Bluetooth.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJon View Post
FYI, I have a 2019 and switch between FM/XM and USB with no change in volume. I have never tested Bluetooth.
Interesting. Do you have a premier or the LT trim? Might make a difference, as the premier would have a factory amp. Also, what type of USB device are you using to play music? Just wondering. I did use an iPod, then now I am using a SanDisk flash drive. Both experience the same volume issue.

Last edited by SodePop; 05-14-2019 at 11:15 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Interesting. Do you have a premier or the LT trim? Might make a difference, as the premier would have a factory amp. Also, what type of USB device are you using to play music? Just wondering. I did use an iPod, then now I am using a SanDisk flash drive. Both experience the same volume issue.
I have a Premier. I use a SanDisk Cruzer Fit in USB 2. See attached photo.

I use this type of flash drive as it only extends about a half cm beyond the console. I have also included a photo showing the flash drive inserted into the USB port.

I noticed in the settings I have Auto Volume (see page 166 of 2019 owners manual) turned on. This is not described as having anything to do with changing between sources, but who knows for sure?

From you question, I believe you have an LT. Is this correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flash Drive.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	25389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front USB Ports.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	25391  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJon View Post
I have a Premier. I use a SanDisk Cruzer Fit in USB 2. See attached photo.

I use this type of flash drive as it only extends about a half cm beyond the console. I have also included a photo showing the flash drive inserted into the USB port.

I noticed in the settings I have Auto Volume (see page 166 of 2019 owners manual) turned on. This is not described as having anything to do with changing between sources, but who knows for sure?

From you question, I believe you have an LT. Is this correct?
That's the exact same flash drive I am using as well, just the 3.1 equivalent. And yes, I do have the LT. So that might be the major difference. Not sure. I also don't have USB ports in that location, as mine are inside the center console area. Auto volume has always been turned off since day one. I think I'll turn it on and just see if it makes any difference. Thanks for the info.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I personally have a 2019 Premier. i don't use USB drives, but I have noted that the Bluetooth media volume is much lower than local FM station volume.

In my case I have just got in the habit of tuning the car to a local classical station. Classical music stations tend to have a very very wide dynamic volume range, because that is best suited to the music in question. The vast majority of the time it is playing music at a lower volume than the rock station. Unless they are playing something with cannonade.

During the brief window before the bluetooth audio is up and running, at least I'm not blasting my ears.

Weird number.

Happily driving The Gonk 70 (Shock Yellow 2019 Bolt)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
That's the exact same flash drive I am using as well, just the 3.1 equivalent. And yes, I do have the LT. So that might be the major difference. Not sure. I also don't have USB ports in that location, as mine are inside the center console area. Auto volume has always been turned off since day one. I think I'll turn it on and just see if it makes any difference. Thanks for the info.
I have a 2019 LT, a similar USB flash drive, and 90+% of all of my music I do over Android Auto. I have the same issues in that the volume is simply too low on AA and switching to other sources the volume is then greatly increased. My usual AA volume level is 25, and all other sources is 15.

Unfortunately the dang radio swaps over sources everytime the car is started. So... I finish a drive with AA playing, when I start up it's back to the radio despite having my phone connected prior to starting the car. Then... I start to increase the volume again. I wish the auto volume limit was set per source, and was smart... OR leave the source alone and I don't have to manipulate the volume all the time. If I unplug my phone prior to opening the driver's door then I'm blasted with the radio at Volume level 25. The whole setup is rather stupid in regards to how the volume is setup IMO.

2019 Bolt LT, DCFC, C&C, DC1, DC2, Blk Bow Ties

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page