Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Hey Sean, you see this?

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Jeff N 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Yeah, someone mentioned it in a different thread. It's great news - hopefully it will fill the charging desert in the Prairies and northern Ontario. Then I'll be able to contemplate a cross-country trip!

It might help add some redundancy in the charging locations for BC too - we're a bit spoiled in terms of coverage, at least in the southern half of the Province, but with most sites being just a single charger I feel like I have to maintain enough charge to get to not just the next site but the one after that as well just in case the next one is busy or unexpectedly down. That means slower travel since you end up with longer charging sessions due to the higher states of charge. Some more locations at Petro-Can stations, as well as the new dual-charger installations that are being deployed on a lot of the recently-opened sites, will go a long way to reducing that worry.

#4 ·
Looks to me like you could optimize your time by going up through Kalispell, since there are a couple of fast chargers in the SE corner of BC. And the other thing to keep in mind is that the day or two it takes you to get to Calgary is not going to be all that significant compared to the trip across the entire country.

And who knows - by the time PetroCan gets its charging sites deployed across the Prairies things may improve in your neck of the woods too...

#8 ·
The charging providers just don't seem to listen very well. We don't necessarily need DCFC where we are (or even where where are going). We do, however, need it along the way.

Electrify America is mostly filling in the gaps, but they are primarily population driven. Even in California, which is getting $1 B of their funding, EA has <2 DCFC locations even under consideration along Highway 395. Sure, few people live there, but all you heard on the news after our recent snow storms is, "Everyone's heading to Mammoth!"

#6 · (Edited)
OK, so we were visiting some of the craft breweries, have to be sure the kegerator is stocked with quality product.
As the route went right by the above linked station, I stopped, after all, free DCFC electrons are the best kind. And it allowed me range for an extra brewery!
Petrocan says, “two connectors per charger”, that translates into 1 CCS, & 1 CHAdeMO, & only one can be used at a time. There is also an L2, with a fairly long cord.
The good, (at least for future vehicles), the CCS cords are labeled 200Kw. Oddly, 1 CHAdeMO is labelled 100Kw, the other 50Kw. I don’t know if that is true, or just a wrong label. The Leaf was only pulling 11Kw.
The place is associated with a petrol station, spacious, clean, well lit, with a convenience store, car wash and A & W.
The bad, the cords are kind of short. The CCS cord is on the left side of the cabinet, but if you park on the left side, it will not reach over the hood of a Bolt, with enough cord to bend & plug in. You must park on the right side, so the cord can go straight across to the car receptacle. There was a white Leaf at the first cabinet, it doesn’t matter to them, as they plug in the front centre. You can see the CHAdeMO cord for the Leaf, being brought across from the right side of the cabinet.
The interface is clean & neat, it asked for a phone # to SMS your charging station, but there was an option to “SKIP”, so I did. Didn’t need any credit card or account.
They are free to use, (for now), no word on the build out schedule.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.