User Tag List

13Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Chevy Bolt owners in Tucson area?

Any Bolt owners in Arizona, specifically the Tucson area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidAZ View Post
David, I'm in Green Valley (due south of Tucson). I think you might want to join this group of EV interested folks:

Tucson Electric Vehicle Association

http://www.tucsonelectricvehicle.org/

I have yet to purchase an EV, but hope to do so soon.

Best of luck with your Bolt.

Rich
surgeonFWW likes this.

Rich
Cape Cod, MA/Green Valley AZ
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Waiting for our commercial building to sell here in Golden CO and then plan on moving the business down to the Tucson or Gilbert areas. Interested to see how the Bolt does in the heat of summer.

2017 Bolt Premier
Arctic Blue Metallic
Dark Galvanized / Sky Cool Gray - Leather
Fast Charge
Infotainment Package
Driver Confidence Package II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Hi - I live in Rio Rico and am a member of TEVA Tucson Electric Vehicle Association. Occasionally I drive up 1 hour and attend meetings. I may have run into one of you at the most recent meeting, but am bad with names. I'm glad I found this forum today. My initial point is that I will take anything I can get from Bolt owners as to how the range is holding up in the heat of the southwest. This will help me understand if I want to get a used Bolt or something else in a few years. I disclaim also some EV industry involvement.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidAZ View Post
We live in Tucson. But some days it is more like northern US.

What can I do for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC8619.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	480.5 KB
ID:	24875  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:23 PM

interesting recent review of a local charge station, by someone driving east to Albuquerque:

>EVgo Charging Station Review Tucson AZ
>Trigger Energy
>Published on Apr 18, 2019

and then on their way back, they just posted this:

EVgo Charging Station Review - La Encantada, Tucson AZ
Trigger Energy
Published on Apr 21, 2019
EVgo stations are solid. They always work. It is frustrating though when the station shuts down at 51% and I have to restart. Check the video for the full review.
#ABQ2SD #EVadventure #Hyundai #KonaEV

Other off-hand quick comments about Tucson public charging:

- since I got a Volt and traded in a leased 2012 Leaf, this means I can't try the fast chargers, but oh well.
- I use the Blink stations once in awhile on 4th avenue.
- glad we've got the Level 1 120 volt plugs going at Fast Park & Relax by Airport. Just heard at some point I do think it's in line to get proper J1772. I hope they stick with mostly Level 1.... not much need for Level 2 in long-term parking, except special circumstances (the occasional large battery day-tripper, airport lots that do valet parking and charging of EVs such as one I've heard about in Phoenix, etc.)
- started campaigning in 2012-2013 for better (public) charging down toward Nogales, and still haven't seen much, other than the Tubac J1772. Oh well, I guess it will happen in time.
- ***Do Not*** count on the J1772 at exit 75 on the 19, in Sahuarita. It has been broken for a long time (1 or 2 years at least?) and there is no word that it will be fixed or replaced any time soon.

2013 Chevy Volt owner, looking to trade it someday for a used BEV with a well-preserved battery pack (probably liquid-cooled) and 200+ miles of range.

Last edited by jlsoaz; 04-22-2019 at 02:01 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:02 PM

Hi all, a shout-out that the Tucson EV Association page says there is a meeting coming up this Saturday May 18 at 3535 Ft Lowell at 9 AM. I don't know if I'll be there as it is a long drive. I know they were claiming to work with the site owner on charging, but I'm not sure if it's in place yet.
http://www.tucsonelectricvehicle.org/meetings.html

2013 Chevy Volt owner, looking to trade it someday for a used BEV with a well-preserved battery pack (probably liquid-cooled) and 200+ miles of range.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
More experiences with the Bolt performance in high heat would be appreciated. I live in CA, in an area that has weeks of 90+ days. Am very careful to keep it plugged in when that hot. In two years, haven't lost significant capacity. But I don't do any charging above L2.
jlsoaz likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
I am also interested in your AZ experience with the Bolt. My Bolt lives on Cape Cod, but wife and I hope to purchase an EV to replace one of our cars in Green Valley AZ. The heat issue is a concern.

I've met a few folks with Nissan Leafs, at a few of the TEVA events, and they swore they haven't had a problem. I dunno. I want active cooling in any EV I buy.

Rich
jlsoaz likes this.

Rich
Cape Cod, MA/Green Valley AZ
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
I am also interested in your AZ experience with the Bolt. My Bolt lives on Cape Cod, but wife and I hope to purchase an EV to replace one of our cars in Green Valley AZ. The heat issue is a concern.

I've met a few folks with Nissan Leafs, at a few of the TEVA events, and they swore they haven't had a problem. I dunno. I want active cooling in any EV I buy.

Rich
I don't know who you met and what they said, but I had a Leaf near Tucson 2012-2015 and it absolutely did experience battery degradation.

https://survey.pluginamerica.org/lea...le.php?vid=229

In this heat, I won't trust that Nissan has addressed the degradation issues until I see some really substantial indications of this. At least one other TEVA member I know of who drove an early Leaf experienced degradation and had his battery replaced under warranty. I am not as up on whether TEVA members driving the latest Leafs with the latest chemistry claim there has been some improvement in degradation.
hatchy likes this.

Last edited by jlsoaz; 05-15-2019 at 03:20 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page