GM begins restructuring as it prepares for an electrified future - Page 6 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

 56Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #51 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmo View Post
All the above reasons are very true but a manufacturing job like my pa had for 40 years is going out of fashion. The potential have nots have in fact opportunities in the service industry. There is a shortage of trades, plumbers, electricians, mechanics (get trained in EV repairs), health workers, truck drivers etc. This is where the future lies for those who meet the above description.
There is still manufacturing in the US. But the manufacturing plants that pay good wages require more than just a high school degree. Semi-conductor plants needs large numbers of "techs" with two year engineering degrees; CNC machinists are in high demand as are the trades. I have a relative that works in a high tech plastics manufacturing plant in Upstate, NY as a quality control auditor. His salary is so-so but he has an associates degree. Those with only a high school degree are relegated to the worst paying positions. A few of the steel plants in Southern California are very high tech and niche. Every twenty years or so politicians say we need to have a strong vocational training system like they due in Germany for people who don't want to go to college. I've been hearing this for over 40 years and nothing comes of it. So I'm not surprised that people with only a high school degree are in dire straights right now.
cyaopec is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
NY-Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,447
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmo View Post
All the above reasons are very true but a manufacturing job like my pa had for 40 years is going out of fashion. The potential have nots have in fact opportunities in the service industry. There is a shortage of trades, plumbers, electricians, mechanics (get trained in EV repairs), health workers, truck drivers etc. This is where the future lies for those who meet the above description.
Unfortunately, the long standing/time proven apprentice system has pretty much been phased out in this country (due to cost) so it's rare that you see a 18yo out of high school apprentice in the trades. They now need to go to a proper trade school (plumbing, HVAC, electrical, etc...) , get a degree then cut their teeth in the trades. As you can imaging, those trade schools are not cheap which is why even finding a trade school is not easy any longer as most have closed down due to low enrollment. If the apprentice system was brought back, you'd see plenty of young people in the trades.

2017 Cajun Red Bolt Premier- Driver Confidence II Package
NY-Rob is offline  
post #53 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 06:06 PM
Member
 
Belmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
So true, companionship system is the key to fulfilling those positions in the service industry.

Bolt LT 2019, Summit white, driver confidence package. Other car: Mercedes S Class 2017
Montreal Qc Canada
Belmo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #54 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 12:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Joule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrij View Post
About Reuss in the article:

<< His charge is to focus significantly more resources on autonomous and electrified vehicles — particularly battery-electrics — while streamlining GM's army of engineers. The changes — effective Jan. 1 — include expanded duties for Reuss' top lieutenants as the company prepares to launch at least 20 battery-electric or fuel-cell-powered vehicles globally by 2023.>>

To everything there should be a beginning, a continuation and an end. In order to get 20 BEV's, PHEV's and FCEV's by 2023 you need to see something progressively happen in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

Are we seeing GM working feverishly on new battery designs? On diversifying the Bolt subspecies (beyond adding two new colors)? What are some of GM's experimental FC vehicles? Have there been attempts to transplant the Voltec (or even Malibu's) powertrain into something that drivers prefer these days, such is a small CUV?

Unless all this work is being done somewhere in underground bunkers in the Himalayas, I'd venture to say that the next big GM spectacle will not be the parade of 20 EV's, but another loud bankruptcy, with the side show of the senior execs, bailing out with golden parachutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaV8or View Post
I disagree. While this article puts the spin on the closures and layoffs to look like preparations for an EV future, I think they are really preparations to survive the upcoming recession everyone knows is coming. These actions are intended to keep them out of bankruptcy the next time people suddenly stop buying cars and trucks.

Of the manufacturing facilities GM has around the world, the US is no doubt the most expensive place to do manufacturing, therefor only the most profitable vehicles should be built here. The article rightly points out that of the cars that are being axed in North America, many will continue on in other markets allowing GM the option to bring them back if need be, but without UAW contracts and therefor better profit margins on them.

I also disagree with the over optimistic view of this article when it implies that GM is restructuring for a new electric future. There has been some shuffling of offices and a bit of talk of electric this and that, but mostly it's again a cost saving measure. They're getting rid of engineers and management along side the blue collar jobs. It's the usual corporate "running lean" strategy of lay off a third of the people and then make the people that stay do all the work the laid off people did in addition to what they do now.

Basically, Mary sees the storm brewing off the bow and is battening down the hatches.
You might both be right. There is little doubt IMO that GM will not be alone in facing the storm that does seem to be gaining strength. The question is, how prepared will they be if and when the storm arrives? My feeling is that GM along with most of the other traditional auto makers have waited for the final hour to act, and now seem to be more in scramble mode as a victim of their own procrastination, instead of being more in control of the transition. The saving grace might be that nearly everyone else is either in the same boat, or an even worse position.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ICU
Joule is offline  
post #55 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Lin19687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bedford, MA
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage
Gm lost my buy when after owning the Bolt for a year I see how POORLY they put this together. Hap Hazard.
My 'tin can' i-MiEV was WAY better then this thing as far as manufacturing.


I'll go with another Import which is sad to say but I have owned Ford, Chevy, GMC, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Dodge (can't complain about the dodge though), Nissan, Cadillac. They all have issues on their own, but to buy a $40+k car and have the panels not line up, released before you have mastered the electronic updates... blah blah just is too much at this point.


No trust for GM, no trust for most after they all needed bail outs.


Tell me, AFTER the bail outs, if it were you...... Wouldn't you cut your 40 model fleet down to say 10 or 15 ? Why do you need so many, why do you need Chevy/GMC same **** car, like Suburban and Yukon XL ?? Just make 1 SUV, 2 small car (hatch and sedan), 1 or 2 pickup trucks, 1 mini van & 1 sporty type car.

Why is it THAT hard to understand that you have Thousands of cars unsold at the end of the 'year' and you can't figure it out why you are gong bankrupt ?


I doubt they will go all EV any time soon.... they are NOT smart enough to do that IMHO
Dimitrij likes this.

-Lin
67517, 5-17
Lin19687 is offline  
post #56 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin19687 View Post
Gm lost my buy when after owning the Bolt for a year I see how POORLY they put this together. Hap Hazard.
My 'tin can' i-MiEV was WAY better then this thing as far as manufacturing.


I'll go with another Import which is sad to say but I have owned Ford, Chevy, GMC, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Dodge (can't complain about the dodge though), Nissan, Cadillac. They all have issues on their own, but to buy a $40+k car and have the panels not line up, released before you have mastered the electronic updates... blah blah just is too much at this point.


No trust for GM, no trust for most after they all needed bail outs.


Tell me, AFTER the bail outs, if it were you...... Wouldn't you cut your 40 model fleet down to say 10 or 15 ? Why do you need so many, why do you need Chevy/GMC same **** car, like Suburban and Yukon XL ?? Just make 1 SUV, 2 small car (hatch and sedan), 1 or 2 pickup trucks, 1 mini van & 1 sporty type car.

Why is it THAT hard to understand that you have Thousands of cars unsold at the end of the 'year' and you can't figure it out why you are gong bankrupt ?


I doubt they will go all EV any time soon.... they are NOT smart enough to do that IMHO
I donít really have an issue with build quality. Some people say the interior is cheap and perhaps it is but that that doesnít bother me either. Lack of power seats and ACC are my only real complaints.

As far as the number if models. That is just ridiculous, but goes back to the homogenizing models across lines in the 1970s. I can remember when Pontiac,Olds, Chevy, and Buick were different cars. Now they have these ungainly dealer networks to support, which are independently owned and have contracts and mostly sell identical cars and compete with each other. You reap what you sow. I assume shutting down a brand involves buying out the contracts for all the dealerships.
LooseBolt is offline  
post #57 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Dimitrij's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winchester VA
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joule View Post
You might both be right. There is little doubt IMO that GM will not be alone in facing the storm that does seem to be gaining strength. The question is, how prepared will they be if and when the storm arrives? My feeling is that GM along with most of the other traditional auto makers have waited for the final hour to act, and now seem to be more in scramble mode as a victim of their own procrastination, instead of being more in control of the transition. The saving grace might be that nearly everyone else is either in the same boat, or an even worse position.
Here is some too-big-to-fail meteorology for ya: Huge masses of fast-moving hot air from highfliers produce windfall for them, while brewing a storm for small shareholders. Should the storm erupt, the highfliers bail out with the help of golden 'chutes, while the small shareholders go down the drain. A perfect balance.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dimitrij is online now  
post #58 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 11:19 AM
Senior Member
 
TimBolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin19687 View Post
Gm lost my buy when after owning the Bolt for a year I see how POORLY they put this together. Hap Hazard.
My 'tin can' i-MiEV was WAY better then this thing as far as manufacturing.


I'll go with another Import which is sad to say but I have owned Ford, Chevy, GMC, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Dodge (can't complain about the dodge though), Nissan, Cadillac. They all have issues on their own, but to buy a $40+k car and have the panels not line up, released before you have mastered the electronic updates... blah blah just is too much at this point.


No trust for GM, no trust for most after they all needed bail outs.


Tell me, AFTER the bail outs, if it were you...... Wouldn't you cut your 40 model fleet down to say 10 or 15 ? Why do you need so many, why do you need Chevy/GMC same **** car, like Suburban and Yukon XL ?? Just make 1 SUV, 2 small car (hatch and sedan), 1 or 2 pickup trucks, 1 mini van & 1 sporty type car.

Why is it THAT hard to understand that you have Thousands of cars unsold at the end of the 'year' and you can't figure it out why you are gong bankrupt ?


I doubt they will go all EV any time soon.... they are NOT smart enough to do that IMHO
Iím sorry youíre unhappy with the build quality of your Bolt. My Bolt experience has been exactly the opposite, itís the most trouble-free car Iíve owned. All interior and exterior panels and seams are aligned, and not one rattle or squeak inside or out after eighteen months of ownership. I leased my Bolt in June 2017, it has a March 2017 build date.

Iíve never needed to return to the dealer for any warranty service, other than the battery management software update done at my first annual state safety inspection visit. Iíve had no electronic glitches or hardware or software issues.

To date, total maintenance cost over eighteen months has been $10, for the annual NY safety inspection.

I love this car.

Thanks to GM and UAW Local 5960 in Orion Michigan for building such a great car.

2017 Kinetic Blue LT, 1998 Merckx Ti
TimBolt is offline  
post #59 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 11:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBolt View Post
Iím sorry youíre unhappy with the build quality of your Bolt. My Bolt experience has been exactly the opposite, itís the most trouble-free car Iíve owned. All interior and exterior panels and seams are aligned, and not one rattle or squeak inside or out after eighteen months of ownership. I leased my Bolt in June 2017, it has a March 2017 build date.

Iíve never needed to return to the dealer for any warranty service, other than the battery management software update done at my first annual state safety inspection visit. Iíve had no electronic glitches or hardware or software issues.

To date, total maintenance cost over eighteen months has been $10, for the annual NY safety inspection.

I love this car.

Thanks to GM and UAW Local 5960 in Orion Michigan for building such a great car.
Ditto for me as well! @TimBolt you could not have said it better.

Consumer Reports is not perfect, the readers fill out the reliability surveys, and they presumably research vehicle purchases reviewing CR test reports and reliability data, which biases the data. Having said that, Consumer Reports does offer a substantially larger sample size than this forum, they recommend the Bolt, report it is well built, that it offers very high reliability, and that the existing and predicted "Owner Satisfaction" for the Bolt is the highest score CR awards.
wonderbolt is offline  
post #60 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 12:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Dimitrij's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winchester VA
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaV8or View Post
I disagree. While this article puts the spin on the closures and layoffs to look like preparations for an EV future, I think they are really preparations to survive the upcoming recession everyone knows is coming.
During recession most people tend to buy cheaper and more economical vehicles, not $60K trucks and railroad car-size SUV's. So, why is then GM chopping all of its cheaper, economical vehicles?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dimitrij; 12-24-2018 at 05:29 PM. Reason: more to the point
Dimitrij is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome