More Tesla Autopilot incidents - Page 10 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

50Likes

post #91 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Think there is another reason Tesla seems to stand out, and that is Elon Musk can't seem to keep his mouth shut and hypes up the product. I suppose that is his job but he is always screaming "Look Here". So the press looks, both good and not so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC View Post
Think there is another reason Tesla seems to stand out, and that is Elon Musk can't seem to keep his mouth shut and hypes up the product. I suppose that is his job but he is always screaming "Look Here". So the press looks, both good and not so good.
His PT Barnum'ing with promises of 1 million self driving robotaxis on the road by next year only exacerbate the attention on these Autopilot incidents. How can he promise 1 million robotaxis when current Teslas with inferior partial self-driving tech keep crashing into cars/guardrails/semis/firetrucks/etc...?

But then he screams foul when news outlets report on these incidents, blaming everything on the shorts. Hey Elon, if you ran your company properly, the short problem would resolve itself. But he's too busy making promises even Jesus Christ would have trouble keeping.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Somebody upstream had asked about the accidents that EAP prevents which you don't hear about. Here's an example of one such case where the driver of the Tesla was not even aware that Autopilot had intervened in what could have been a collision. It wasn't until he checked the video that he realized why the car suddenly switched lanes for what seemed to be no reason.

https://electrek.co/2019/05/28/tesla...ingly-dashcam/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Similar to the data posted a page or so back by @Dyefrog

"Tesla has been releasing vehicle safety reports for Autopilot … and so far, results suggest that the driver-assist system makes driving significantly safer. In the first quarter of 2019, for example, Tesla registered one accident for every 2.87 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged, while one accident for every 1.76 million miles driven was recorded for vehicles that did not have Autopilot engaged. By comparison, the NHTSA’s most recent data reveals that in the United States, there is an automobile crash every 436,000 miles.”
The statistics do sound encouraging, and if they continue to release the data and be transparent, that should help defend against the headline incidents that will continue to be reported.
As a counterpoint, this test does not help sell the feature.
AutoLine retest of TM3 Autopilot https://youtu.be/IlaOxBSugSs
post #95 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbolt View Post
Similar to the data posted a page or so back by @Dyefrog

"Tesla has been releasing vehicle safety reports for Autopilot … and so far, results suggest that the driver-assist system makes driving significantly safer. In the first quarter of 2019, for example, Tesla registered one accident for every 2.87 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged, while one accident for every 1.76 million miles driven was recorded for vehicles that did not have Autopilot engaged. By comparison, the NHTSA’s most recent data reveals that in the United States, there is an automobile crash every 436,000 miles.”
The statistics do sound encouraging, and if they continue to release the data and be transparent, that should help defend against the headline incidents that will continue to be reported.
As a counterpoint, this test does not help sell the feature.
AutoLine retest of TM3 Autopilot https://youtu.be/IlaOxBSugSs
I didn't see his first attempt at using Autopilot but based on the comments, it must have been a hoot.
"Better re-do the re-do. Lane keeping mode is not autopilot."
"OMG he does it again, no clue what he is doing. Read the manual. I hate to say it but you have lost a lot of credibility."
"John, thanks for re-trying. A better attempt. But you need a Take #3 . Here's what went wrong this time.
1. Navigate on Autopilot isn't meant for city streets. It's meant for highway. It's not going to stop for street lights, for example, nor take sharp turns.
2. When you see the two blue lines on the display, you're NOT using Navigate on Autopilot. You're using vanilla AP.
3. When you see a SINGLE blue line, you ARE using Navigate on Autopilot.
4. Thus, watch back to 2:18 -- you are NOT using Navigate on Autopilot. It's just lane-keeping, which is why it's not turning.
5. Holding the wheel at the 3 & 9 positions accidentally exerts too much turning force. Try holding the wheel with only one hand at the 9 o'clock position. And pull down slightly to resist turning.

Yes, your troubles highlight that this is a feature that needs a bit of explanation (you can't just jump in the car and "try it"). Yes, Navigate on Autopilot is not perfect.

However, if you simply used Autopilot the way you would use Supercruise, i.e. regular Autopilot on the highway, you would see that it's safer and superior to human-control in a large number of ways. This is not coming across in your video because Tesla allows you to misuse it and you're taking full advantage of that. "
"LMAO that's like giving my grandma a smartphone. Next time get some training before you criticize something you do not understand."
"Wow, you are totally clueless on how Tesla's Navigate on Autopilot is intended to work. It is EXPLICITLY not designed for traffic lights and city streets, which is why it dutifully plows forward in your demo. Please read the (admittedly sparse) documentation and Beta warnings from Tesla. I know you're just trying to generate traffic here by piling on Tesla, but ultimately you just have shown yourself as inept as a reviewer."
"John, I'm usually an avid follower of your channel BUT you really fudged this video 🤦🏻*♂️ you didn't enable Navigate on Autopilot (NoA) for the vehicle to do lane changes (even which you have auto or user enabled), to take on/off exit ramps"

Almost every comment similarly points out his misuse of the system. I guess some were right, it's probably too complicated for some people and this guy is definitely one of them.
post #96 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbolt View Post
Tesla does cherry pick data like the best of them. And its zealots do their best to promote that cherry picked data like the good lemmings they are.

And here's some blatant lying. Tesla stating summon will "come find you anywhere in a parking lot". That's true if you happen to be standing directly in front of or behind your Tesla I guess. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190528-201533~2_1559089132462.png
Views:	17
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	25515  

Last edited by bro1999; 05-28-2019 at 08:18 PM.
post #97 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
LOL, just thought of funny scene. Sometime in the near future after a evening ball game in the summer, big city. Everyone with a Tesla, at least a thousand of them, standing in front of the stadium and all of them summon their car. What a cluster ****! I hope the AI in the cars learn manners and politness as well as how to find their owners. Would be a funny gag in a movie.
post #98 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL, just thought of funny scene. Sometime in the near future after a evening ball game in the summer, big city. Everyone with a Tesla, at least a thousand of them, standing in front of the stadium and all of them summon their car. What a cluster ****! I hope the AI in the cars learn manners and politness as well as how to find their owners. Would be a funny gag in a movie.
I like it.

The impracticality of laziness.
post #99 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Quote:
And since Teslas all look pretty much the same, how does anybody know easily which car is theirs? Out of that 1000, I can imagine something like 300 people rushing towards the first red Model 3 that rolls up!

2017 Bolt LT Orange Burst
post #100 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

What, we can't believe Tesla's cherry picked AP safety reports saying AP is safer than cars without AP? Ya don't say!
https://gizmodo.com/there-is-absolut...1835150623/amp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page