Advertisement

post #162 of 196 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJETSON View Post
Quote:
Each Electrify America site in this program will consist of a 210 kW Tesla battery system, with roughly 350 kWh of capacity. Tesla has a modular design, and will allow for more capacity to be added over time. That will become necessary, once there are multiple EVs plugging in and pulling 150+ kW at the same location.

The decision for Electrify America to use Tesla’s Powerpack system is a curious one, because Volkswagen, Electrify America’s parent company, has been developing their own energy storage systems. Perhaps it’s because Tesla is so far ahead that Electrify America can’t wait until VW has a commercially-viable product to implement.
Tom's example was wild:
Quote:
Let’s say a Chevy Bolt owner pulls up to charge their car at my station and they stay for two hours. I charge $6 per hour to use the station, which is what I consider a reasonable amount for lower-powered 24 kW DC Fast station. In those two hours, the Bolt will accept close to 50 kWh. My utility, PSE&G, will bill me about $60 for the electricity, and I billed the customer $12 for the charging session. Then ChargePoint takes their 10% network management fee, so I’m left with $10.80; a loss of about $50.00.
Aside: I saw in the supercharger.info site they have a latest feature changes and they show if the Tesla Superchargers have battery.
https://supercharge.info/about -- then in 2nd paragraph do --> "Click here to view the latest feature updates."

Last edited by cbscott; 02-04-2019 at 02:35 PM.
post #163 of 196 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
EA CEO Spills his guts on his own version of "Production ****"

Welcome to California ... or the current typical California over-regulated hot mess to any business that wants to succeed in a timely manner. Ironically, it doesn't matter if it's 'State Supported / Mandated' or not.

https://insideevs.com/exclusive-elec...a-ev-charging/

It's production **** when you're trying to get permits approved in the Golden State. You might kill an endangered slug or something. Or, even worse, electrocute one. Welcome to the new "People's Republic".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 196 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltFan View Post
Welcome to California ... or the current typical California over-regulated hot mess to any business that wants to succeed in a timely manner. Ironically, it doesn't matter if it's 'State Supported / Mandated' or not.

It's production **** when you're trying to get permits approved in the Golden State. You might kill an endangered slug or something. Or, even worse, electrocute one. Welcome to the new "People's Republic".
However, all the other companies putting in EV chargers are doing it just fine aren't they? Since EA was not the first (by years) certainly they could find out how long these things take and plan accordingly.
post #165 of 196 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltFan View Post

I enjoy the benefits of these pesky regulations. I'm guessing you didn't grow up in CA in the '60s and '70s, when your chest and throat burned after playing outside, and you couldn't see the San Gabriel mountains...from Pasadena (a mile away). It's those regulations that are insuring that our kids (and grandkids) don't suffer the same.

One of the great things about this country is our right to move pretty much anywhere we like. I suggest you exercise that right.

Driving electric since 1997!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #166 of 196 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joule View Post
Right so you were proposing that instead of looking at the number of stalls as a metric of network capability, we should look at the max output of a site. Your rational for this was based on the fact that Tesla's SC network consists of paired stalls.

Question: You pull in to survey an EA site that has 10 350kW stalls, and you note that all the stalls are occupied by Chevy Bolt's, and there are another 40 waiting in line. What is the actual maximum charge rate going to show in your survey?

If you want to compare one network to another as a discussion point, how important is the maximum potential charge rate if almost no one can utilize it at the moment? It would seem logical to me that your desire to discuss such a thing would be for the purpose of advancing the EV cause, i.e. the growing amount of installed charging infrastructure in 2019 is able to handle 10x the number of cars compared to 2018. I don't see much value in saying, "But all the 350kW sites combined could potentially power a small city for one hour."
My point is that it is one metric that needs to be considered. Number of stalls is one metric, and it's valid. Network distribution is another metric, and it's equally valid. Total site power output is yet another metric, and it's also worth consideration.

I could just as easily say that a ten, 350 kW charger site had ten Porsche Taycans charging and there are 40 Taycans queued up. Which will clear first, that or a 40-stall Supercharger site with 40 stalls occupied and 10 Teslas queued up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joule View Post
Vertiformed asked DF for a reference to something he said about the seats in the Bolt. You chimed in with the usual "guess the mystery news source".
No, he was referencing a story that broke on Electrek regarding a list of vehicles that "bring the most joy." In the story, Fred Lambert noted the fact that the story was actually on Consumer Reports, but it was behind a "pay wall." Vertiformed asked for a link to the story, so I posted it.
post #167 of 196 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrew View Post
I enjoy the benefits of these pesky regulations. I'm guessing you didn't grow up in CA in the '60s and '70s, when your chest and throat burned after playing outside, and you couldn't see the San Gabriel mountains...from Pasadena (a mile away). It's those regulations that are insuring that our kids (and grandkids) don't suffer the same.

One of the great things about this country is our right to move pretty much anywhere we like. I suggest you exercise that right.
Seriously? Wow thanks for the unsolicited advise. And the horrendous non sequitur argument you're trying to make which is now morphing into a pathetic personal attack.
post #168 of 196 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Actually on topic:

I had my first opportunity to DCFC after 19 months of driving the Bolt, first two DCFC and First opportunity to be an EA customer, my observations and the feedback I sent EA is pasted below

1) Ice in charge connectors: or "trying to DCFC during the "Polar Vortex" We have had some bitter cold temps with freezing rain and significant snow accumulation recently. When I first attempted to connect to a charger I could not seat the connector. Upon close inspection I discovered that the connector was partially filled with ice, preventing it from being inserted all the way. I visually inspected the connectors on the other chargers and found one that was clear of ice. I observed that all the connectors are stored facing up and the holders do not sufficiently cover or shroud the exposed charge head from driving rain or snow. It seems that the best solution is a rubber dust and snow cap that can be tethered to the end of the charge cable and put back into the plug after charging. Alternately, a full receptacle that you can plug the charge head into on the charge station that would fully protect the plug.

2) The screen glare and display angle: The display screen is low and angled up. Even in overcast conditions I found it barely readable. Mostly I saw my reflection in the screen and I needed to use my hands to shadow parts of the screen at a time to try to read the display. I can’t imagine trying to read the screen if the sun was out.

3) Abrupt charging end at 87%: The first charge I actually desired a near full charge, as with the cold weather and reduced efficiency I desired a safety buffer of charge. During the charge taper the charger abruptly terminated @ 87% and the charger appeared to reboot. I assume that some power level negotiation with the Chevy Bolt failed and it simply terminated, but I am not sure what actually happened. I noticed another comment on PlugShare for this location that noted the same thing.

4) Card reader / reboot: My first charge required a call to support and a station reboot. When I got to payment on my first attempt the screen said "insert card", but the card reader face displayed "cash only" Reading here and on Plugshare it appears that this is very common. I suggest stations where this issue exists, putting them on a reboot schedule. If you have 4 stations reboot each of them, that is not currently in use, each day between 2 - 4 AM. You would implement a rolling reboot, station 1 reboots at 2AM, station 2 at 3AM, etc… On the return trip I used the same charger and I did not need to contact customer service for a reboot.

Ok, that's it, having used DCFC twice now I hereby graduate from NEWB directly to "Subject Matter Expert" , ask anything you want and I am sure someone with more personal experience, @NewsCoulomb , will be able to answer your questions ;-)

P.S. having read this thread I was fully expecting the station reboot to be able to charge, customer support was actually great and although it may have felt like 1/2 hour, standing in the freezing cold, with 12% SOC, and very limited Level 2 as my "plan B", my phone call timer shows the call lasted for 7 min 40 seconds, and she stayed on until it was fully rebooted and successfully charging...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ice in DCFC plug.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	24239  

Last edited by wonderbolt; 02-05-2019 at 03:13 PM. Reason: added P.S.
post #169 of 196 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
The EA charger in Florence SC is wonky again.... according to a report on plug share today, EA couldn't even remote start ANY of them. Wow this sucks! I though having multiple DCFC at one location would solve this problem!

https://www.plugshare.com/location/163176

2017 Bolt LT, 2014 Tesla Model S
post #170 of 196 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Garage
In

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsCoulomb View Post
My point is that it is one metric that needs to be considered. Number of stalls is one metric, and it's valid. Network distribution is another metric, and it's equally valid. Total site power output is yet another metric, and it's also worth consideration.

I could just as easily say that a ten, 350 kW charger site had ten Porsche Taycans charging and there are 40 Taycans queued up. Which will clear first, that or a 40-stall Supercharger site with 40 stalls occupied and 10 Teslas queued up?
Good point. Probably with very little effort, we could actually find common ground on this one. You are right, you could just as easily add a Porsche model that is supposedly capable of charging at 350kW. The fact that you could suggests that there is too much variability in site power output to consider it as a metric of serviceable capacity. At any given point in time, the metric you are proposing could change from being very high to very low depending on who is using it. The other side of that discussion in term of today is, how many cars capable of charging at 350 did Porsche deliver in January?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsCoulomb View Post
No, he was referencing a story that broke on Electrek regarding a list of vehicles that "bring the most joy." In the story, Fred Lambert noted the fact that the story was actually on Consumer Reports, but it was behind a "pay wall." Vertiformed asked for a link to the story, so I posted it.
My bad, I didn't mean to derail the discussion. To be honest, I didn't follow it back to the originating post from either Vertiformed or DF. I was just pointing out that the Bolt seat issue was a real thing, and had nothing to do with being fake news generated by an outside source to GM. In fact, didn't GM give the 2019 some type of front seat revision?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ICU

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page