Electrify America problems... - Page 8 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

97Likes

post #71 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
@Jeff N

Attached is a screen capture of only EA CCS sites on Plugshare. As you can see, most, but not all, 150kW stations are down. If we compare @Usain 's list of the 150 kW charger manufacturers we quickly find a pattern, it appears that all the 150 kW units made by Efacec do not use the suspect H&S cables and remain operational.

Having said that, I don't yet see any successful check-ins at those sites since Friday night to confirm they are indeed still operational
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA shutdown 2019-01-25.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	24153  
Jeff N and NewsCoulomb like this.

Last edited by wonderbolt; 01-27-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbolt View Post
@Jeff N

Attached is a screen capture of only EA CCS sites on Plugshare. As you can see, most, but not all, 150kW stations are down. If we compare @Usain 's list of the 150 kW charger manufacturers we quickly find a pattern, it appears that all the 150 kW units made by Efacec do not use the suspect H&S cables and remain operational.

Having said that, I don't yet see any successful check-ins at those sites since Friday night to confirm they are indeed still operational
Do we know who makes the Efacec high-power cables?
post #73 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsCoulomb View Post
Do we know who makes the Efacec high-power cables?
With the help of google we now do...
https://electricmobility.efacec.com/...ns-for-efacec/

"ITT Inc.’s (NYSE:ITT) Cannon brand announces an extended contract with Efacec Electric Mobility, a leading global provider of safe and clean energy solutions for the electric mobility market. Efacec has been a longstanding partner of ITT Cannon, and will now use its High-Power Charging (HPC) solution, comprised of a connector, cable and cooling unit, to power highway-based EV charging stations across the United States and Europe."
NewsCoulomb likes this.

Last edited by wonderbolt; 01-27-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
@Jeff N

You are correct! I wasnít aware that Electrify America had a few charger dispensers using ITT Cannon cables and plugs. Cool. I will update my articles.

Thanks!
wonderbolt and NewsCoulomb like this.
post #75 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Quote:
With the help of google we now do...
https://electricmobility.efacec.com/...ns-for-efacec/

"ITT Inc.ís (NYSE:ITT) Cannon brand announces an extended contract with Efacec Electric Mobility, a leading global provider of safe and clean energy solutions for the electric mobility market. Efacec has been a longstanding partner of ITT Cannon, and will now use its High-Power Charging (HPC) solution, comprised of a connector, cable and cooling unit, to power highway-based EV charging stations across the United States and Europe."
Ah, the glory of the interwebs.

So, at this point, we have the following providers who have confirmed >150 kW capable CCS cables:
  • Huber + Suhner ... maybe not confirmed any longer.
  • ITT Cannon
  • Phoenix Contact

I don't see any others that are readily apparent. Porsche (at least from what I've seen) appears to be using Phoenix Contact's HPC. I don't know who is making ChargePoint's CCS 2, liquid-cooled cable.

Also, if ITT Cannon's connector was designed to work with Efacec's units, I wonder how easy it would be to integrate with ABB, BTC Power, and Signet chargers that all seem to currently be using the H+S cords.
post #76 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N View Post
You are correct! I wasnít aware that Electrify America had a few charger dispensers using ITT Cannon cables and plugs. Cool. I will update my articles. Thanks!
From the list I linked above it appears to be 11 of the 75 EA sites that are still operational using the ITT Cannon cables and plugs
post #77 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Also, if ITT Cannon's connector was designed to work with Efacec's units, I wonder how easy it would be to integrate with ABB, BTC Power, and Signet chargers that all seem to currently be using the H+S cords.
From my experience designing electronics that require regulatory approval, the easy part would be removing and replacing the H&S cables, the time consuming part would be getting agency approvals on the new system. If the cable assembly already has the required regulatory approvals and you are modifying the units to go from one cable assembly to another, both of which had regulatory approvals, that could be much faster. Just my opinion, no experience in this exact design space.
post #78 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Quote:
@Jeff N

For what it's worth, the only successful CCS checkin for Saturday or Sunday was at Littleton, CO. This station uses BTC.

All Efacec stations are open.
All BTC stations are open.
All Signet stations are closed.
All ABB stations are closed.

There are a few stations where I still don't know the manufacturer.

Last edited by Usain; 01-27-2019 at 05:10 PM.
post #79 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJETSON View Post
What drives me crazy is what a two-headed monster they ended up with. By not thinking ahead a decade ago, they ended up grafting a second set of big contacts onto what could have been a smaller, simpler, more elegant design. They needed two large contacts to carry high current, a small ground pin for AC, and two tiny communication pins. The plug head should have been half the size it ended up.
They should have just picked the supercharger plug that Tesla has been shipping in Europe for years - a modified Mennekes plug that also does high speed DC charging.
I was talking about the original CCS standard - replying to the post about what a kludge the CCS design, adding the two DC ports, etc.) ... I was replying to the above.

Quote:
Yes, but at this point, no one has confirmed that that format plug can support faster than 120 kW charging. Even when Tesla added liquid cooling and upped their Supercharger cabinets to 145 kW, the plugs were still limited to 120 kW. I'll be interested to see what Tesla comes up with for V3 (if they don't end up abandoning it for CCS), but from the sounds of it, it would still be limited to ~200-250 kW.

NewsCoulomb: I said "They should have just picked" (past tense). Way back then, the original CCS standard (that "two-headed monster they ended up with") didn't address 120 kW charging. (200A max at 500V max, and 80 kW max). So ... your comment really makes no sense.

Last edited by SparkE; 01-27-2019 at 05:52 PM.
post #80 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkE View Post
I said "They should have just picked" (past tense). Way back then, the original CCS standard (that "two-headed monster they ended up with") didn't address 120 kW charging. (200A max at 500V max, and 80 kW max). So ... your comment really makes no sense.
I posted before you, so obviously wasn't responding to anything you said. What about my suggestion that they should have thought about future-proofing their design doesn't make sense to you?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page