User Tag List

13Likes

post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbolt View Post
OK the original EA cycle 1 map showing both Rochester and Syracuse, and then the new Cycle 1 map released with the Cycle 2 plan are attached. Just confirmed today that the Waterloo Premium Outlets is indeed the green dot on the second map.

I know the Rochester location is not shown on the second map and I know it was canceled, I now assume the Syracuse location was also canceled. I believe the new map represents the current plan.
Excellent observations. I had missed that, but noticed it later on the Cycle 2 plans myself. Thanks for confirming the Waterloo outlets. I wonder when they will start construction? Hopefully it will be built out quickly once the ground thaws a little more and the mud dries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:24 PM

I've been following the "Evolve NY" effort by NYPA. They recently made an update to their website, although not in a good way. They took down their map, pushed out some dates, and stretched the spacing from 30 miles to 50 miles.

Unfortunately, I can't yet post a link (still too new to the forum), but you can find it by searching "NYPA Evolve NY". Maybe someone else can post the link.

The end goal is pretty exciting, if it actually comes to fruition. It would be a huge leap forward for quick charging in upstate NY.
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOffYourGas View Post
I've been following the "Evolve NY" effort by NYPA. They recently made an update to their website, although not in a good way. They took down their map, pushed out some dates, and stretched the spacing from 30 miles to 50 miles.

Unfortunately, I can't yet post a link (still too new to the forum), but you can find it by searching "NYPA Evolve NY". Maybe someone else can post the link.

The end goal is pretty exciting, if it actually comes to fruition. It would be a huge leap forward for quick charging in upstate NY.
Presumably it's this: Bringing Fast, Affordable, Convenient DC Fast Charging Across New York State.

Quote:
Bringing Fast, Affordable, Convenient DC Fast Charging Across New York State

Through EVolve NY, NYPA has committed up to $250 million through 2025 - to invest in Electric Vehicle (EV) infrastructure, services, and consumer awareness efforts.

• Phase 1 Goal: Eliminate range-anxiety and deploy a comprehensive network of Fast Chargers

Whether taking a road trip across New York, or to neighboring States and Canada, our goal is to develop a fast charging network that is easy to use, focuses on driver convenience and accessibility, and is quick! The EVolve NY fast charging network will deploy charging sites at approximate 40-50 mile intervals on key corridors, a 10 charger hub at JFK airport, and provide urban charging in Yonkers, Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo.

Initial Phase
The initial phase of funding directs $40 million into three new initiatives through the end of 2019: Interstate Fast Chargers (DCFC), Airport Charging Hubs, EV Model Communities.
  • Interstate and Urban Fast Chargers: DC (direct current) fast chargers have the potential to charge electric cars in as little as 10 minutes for 200 miles of range. NYPA aims to help eliminate EV range-anxiety by installing up to 200 DCFC 150kW chargers at a target of 30 mile intervals along key interstate corridors and in select urban hubs by the end of 2019. NYPA will collaborate with partners to determine optimal locations focusing on accessibility, convenience, affordability, and reliability of charging.
  • Airport Charging Hubs: With more than 20 million passenger car trips around New York's JFK and LGA airports annually, new EV charging hubs located at these high-traffic airports have the potential to serve EV drivers within a 200 mile-radius of New York City.
  • EV Model Communities: Create and implement EV friendly Model Communities that support a utility-managed charging platform to ensure affordability, reliability, and grid efficiency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:37 PM

Yes, that's the one. They used to have a nice, large map on that page showing lots of QCs throughout upstate NY. Now it has been taken down, although there is a small map at the bottom.
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, that's the one. They used to have a nice, large map on that page showing lots of QCs throughout upstate NY. Now it has been taken down, although there is a small map at the bottom.
Was it this image?

post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:34 PM

Yes. Thanks again!

I have no idea why they took it down, and they have been completely unresponsive to my inquiries. If anyone has a contact at NYPA or knows anything about current status (more than the website, or the press releases from November), I would love to hear about it!
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Yes. Thanks again!

I have no idea why they took it down, and they have been completely unresponsive to my inquiries. If anyone has a contact at NYPA or knows anything about current status (more than the website, or the press releases from November), I would love to hear about it!

John Markowitz gave a presentation at NY-BEST ( NY Battery and Energy Storage Technology) conference last month. Here is the link to his slides:

John Markowitz, Lead Energy Services Product Development, Engineer, New York Power Authority (NYPA)

It was a good panel and John gave a very nice presentation. Nothing anyone reading the forums here doesn't already know, but John is a good speaker and his presentation was well done. I hate to be political, but John emphasized that the first installs of the additional DCFC units would be at the NYC airports. During his presentation John even made reference to the "Upstate NY DCFC desert" but when asked about "Bolting from Buffalo to Albany" John answered "likely within three years". He mentioned "Our first EVolve NY units will be @ JFK, and EA has bought up so many DCFC units that there is now a 4 month delay in getting getting them" Sigh... Some things never change...

On a more optimistic note, I posted pictures today of the progress of EA's site @ The Waterloo outlets

And on a note of concern, The RG&E site in Rochester has yet to open, and it appears that the charger used, ChargePoint 250, might be impacted by safety concerns of ChargePoint 200 series units.

And @GetOffYourGas , if you look at the revised map on page 15 of the linked presentation and compare it to the one above that @Vertiformed posted, you can see that all of the "existing or planned" grey dots on the NYS thruway are gone, my understanding is that that project was canceled with the new project to refurb all of the NY state Thruway rest stops and so those are delayed and shown on the revised map as "stage 3"

Last edited by wonderbolt; 04-07-2019 at 06:57 PM.
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:

Yep, here is the site In Jan 2019
https://web.archive.org/web/20190110...grams/evolveny

and here it is today
https://www.nypa.gov/innovation/programs/evolveny
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:10 PM
Ste

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thank you to everyone in the area keeping an eye on these. The sleuthing proved a good month quicker than Electrify America, who finally added the Waterloo, Herkimer, and Erie locations this afternoon!

For anyone interested in onward travel west, there are also two new locations either side of Cleveland, OH: one in Mentor and one in Sheffield. Looking good for EV road trips this summer if they hit a good number of these by July.
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste View Post
Thank you to everyone in the area keeping an eye on these. The sleuthing proved a good month quicker than Electrify America, who finally added the Waterloo, Herkimer, and Erie locations this afternoon!

For anyone interested in onward travel west, there are also two new locations either side of Cleveland, OH: one in Mentor and one in Sheffield. Looking good for EV road trips this summer if they hit a good number of these by July.
Good to know. Seen your youtube channel. Just north of you over the border in NH.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page