23Likes

post #31 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:11 PM
Ste

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Good to know. Seen your youtube channel. Just north of you over the border in NH.

Thanks for checking it out, hope there has been some useful info.

They also added a site up in Seabrook, NH at a Walmart there. Not a crucial spot, as ChargePoint already has a better-priced unit covering that route in Amesbury, MA, but backups are never a bad thing. Cycle 2 should hopefully see much more EA action for New Hampshire and Vermont from July onwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste View Post
Thanks for checking it out, hope there has been some useful info.

They also added a site up in Seabrook, NH at a Walmart there. Not a crucial spot, as ChargePoint already has a better-priced unit covering that route in Amesbury, MA, but backups are never a bad thing. Cycle 2 should hopefully see much more EA action for New Hampshire and Vermont from July onwards.
Taking a look at that new one. Didn't even know they were putting one there. Good to see as that does help cover the N-S route. Looking forward to more stations in NH and VT. Although, the Seabrook one does offer more charging options since the Chargepoint is only 1 unit.

The biggest thing I'm keeping an eye on is the E-W sections. Want to see that I can make a trip to the in-laws in CO without worry. It's almost there.
post #33 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
New to this thread, but live in Rochester and have been frustrated by the slow roll-out of EvolveNY. On March 21st, I got this response on twitter from the NYSPA: https://twitter.com/NYPAenergy/statu...01148551745538

"The map will be updated quarterly moving forward starting next month. Specific locations and operational dates will be announced in due course upon successful agreement of site contracts."

It's now mid-month of that "next month" and nothing. Silence.

Eph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:46 PM

Also, anyone visit this Denny's location yet? https://www.plugshare.com/location/182433
post #35 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyeph View Post
Also, anyone visit this Denny's location yet? https://www.plugshare.com/location/182433

A friend of mine lives nearby, and shared an update yesterday. It's still not operational, but looks to have all the HV cabinets installed and hooked up. It is tantalizingly close.
Heyeph likes this.
post #36 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyeph View Post
New to this thread, but live in Rochester and have been frustrated by the slow roll-out of EvolveNY. On March 21st, I got this response on twitter from the NYSPA: https://twitter.com/NYPAenergy/statu...01148551745538

"The map will be updated quarterly moving forward starting next month. Specific locations and operational dates will be announced in due course upon successful agreement of site contracts."

It's now mid-month of that "next month" and nothing. Silence.

Eph
Hey welcome @Heyeph and thanks for pinging EVolve NY on Twitter for status. This presentation by John Markowitz, Lead Energy Services Product Development, Engineer, New York Power Authority (NYPA) back on March 21st page 15 shows the EVolving EVolve NY plans. The thruway dots are now shown as "stage 3". Historically they have not yet done a great job with actually implementing DCFC infrastructure in Upstate, and as part of that presentation John had mentioned that the first sites would be downstate at the NYC airports. If you go back to my first post in this thread and hit the links for some of the historic press releases it gets even more frustrating. Let's hope that with more of us EV drivers checking in with them they get an increased sense of urgency and Upstate gets some DCFC love.

From what I understand although not every post to the governor gets a response they are at least tallied into categories of topic to assess level of interest.
https://www.governor.ny.gov/content/...r-contact-form
Heyeph likes this.
post #37 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbolt View Post

And @GetOffYourGas , if you look at the revised map on page 15 of the linked presentation and compare it to the one above that @Vertiformed posted, you can see that all of the "existing or planned" grey dots on the NYS thruway are gone, my understanding is that that project was canceled with the new project to refurb all of the NY state Thruway rest stops and so those are delayed and shown on the revised map as "stage 3"
Frustrating and disappointing. But not surprising. Those locations were always overly optimistic IMO. NYS has been promising so many chargers for so many years, and nothing ever happens. I should know better, but I still get excited when I see these plans and maps.

If the rest stop modernization effort includes chargers, that would be a positive sign. They seem to want to go through with that. But again, hoping it happens is setting myself up for disappointment. EA is frankly my best hope for improving road tripping in my Bolt.

Also, good to know NYPA intentionally updates their website quarterly. That seems to match with my experience, and helps temper my expectation for updates. Of course, again, every update is an increase in schedule and a decrease in scope. Rarely are they actually improvements or real progress.
post #38 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
From what I understand although not every post to the governor gets a response they are at least tallied into categories of topic to assess level of interest.
https://www.governor.ny.gov/content/...r-contact-form
Thanks. I filled out the form.
post #39 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOffYourGas View Post
If the rest stop modernization effort includes chargers, that would be a positive sign. They seem to want to go through with that. But again, hoping it happens is setting myself up for disappointment.
Supposedly it does, and as the rest stop modernization is contracted out to full service providers that will construct and operate the new facilities the justification given me for the delay was that they did not want to put in new DCFC just to have them torn out as they were not in the right place with the new facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOffYourGas View Post
EA is frankly my best hope for improving road tripping in my Bolt.
No doubt, EA announced intentions well after NYS and of course already has operational stations in Buffalo and Fredonia, as well as Herkimer and Waterloo being under construction and very close behind. Not saying EA is perfect, they definitely are experiencing growing pains, but they have made substantial progress much faster than NYPA.

NYPA should, IMHO, at this stage probably just work some arrangement with EA to incentivise them to construct more sites at more NY locations with expedited permitting and implemented to NYPA specifications. I doubt that NYS actually wants to be the site operator anyway.

If you follow plugshare the nice new DCFC units NYS did put in at the Grand Island welcome center are apparently not yet very reliable. According to various posts one charger was never properly configured, one has recently started being problematic, and one works great! They are gorgeous, they are free, and there are three of them, so if one is not working likely you can still get a charge. Not unlike EA, they too seem to have growing pains.
post #40 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Supposedly it does, and as the rest stop modernization is contracted out to full service providers that will construct and operate the new facilities the justification given me for the delay was that they did not want to put in new DCFC just to have them torn out as they were not in the right place with the new facilities.
This is reasonable and acceptable, if true. Sorry if I'm a little cynical with NY's poor history, thought.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page