Personally, I would prefer this be GM exclusive (GM plans national charging network) - Page 2 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

20Likes

Old 05-28-2019, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Tom View Post
The model S in the picture you linked is using a ChaDeMo adapter. CCS adapters aren't available in the US....yet
https://electrek.co/2019/05/07/tesla...s-x-retrofits/
Does it say somewhere that they will only be supporting CCS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJETSON View Post
As to GM hooking up with a bloated corporation, with zero EV charging experience...this is a joke. Check back in a decade to see how they are doing.
This is huge news. Is the rollout going to be flawless? Probably not. But GM's gone from "we are not in the business of building charging stations" to committing to build a national fast charging network, an about face from 3 years ago.

Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth. This is almost like a bum begging for money, then complaining when someone only gives him $5 instead of $20. Seriously.
JC Bolt and 121 Kw like this.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJETSON View Post
Does it say somewhere that they will only be supporting CCS?
GM vehicles are CCS only. GM is not under legal requirements to build a charging network that supports all public standards, like VW/EA is. So it's assured these stations will be CCS only. There is 0 business sense to support CHAdeMO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
GM vehicles are CCS only. GM is not under legal requirements to build a charging network that supports all public standards, like VW/EA is. So it's assured these stations will be CCS only. There is 0 business sense to support CHAdeMO.
Correct. And since Tesla can't use CCS, we don't have to worry about Tesla using them---for now.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Charging infrastructure is unprofitable. It needs somewhere around a 30% utilization to break even.

Not wanting Tesla to use infrastructure will reduce utilization, make it unprofitable, and probably end in failure. That's not saying that Tesla traffic would make the chargers profitable, but it certainly doesn't help to exclude them.

I don't know why people get so butthurt about privately owned things having certain restrictions as the owner sees fit. I allow some people into my home, but not everyone. If you don't like it, go pound sand.

That said, I expect Tesla will open their charging infrastructure the moment that it would be a financially prudent thing to do. If people are buying Tesla's due to the exclusive charging network, why would they eliminate that advantage?
The Other Tom and 121 Kw like this.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 05-28-2019, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoon View Post
Well, I am not sure about Bechtel specifically, but from personal experience with Black&Veatch (similar company) while expensive, they definitely do design right.

I learned a truism in engineering program management:

In any project, there are Three Main Goals:

Get the product to market quickly;
Keep development costs low;
The resulting product is of high quality.

Pick two...

Driving electric since 1997!
Old 05-28-2019, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Garage
GM & Bechtel partner on new DCFC network

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/28/busin...ons/index.html

Bechtel is a well established construction company.

Disappointing is that neither company plans on any direct investment into the new venture, instead they will seek outside investment to actually fund the build out, which means if there is no investment there will be no build-out.

But hey, now GM can claim they are actually doing something to support EV charging needs even if they really aren't.
Dyefrog likes this.

Last edited by bro1999; 05-28-2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: duplicate thread on topic. Merged into original discussion
Old 05-28-2019, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrew View Post
I learned a truism in engineering program management:

In any project, there are Three Main Goals:

Get the product to market quickly;
Keep development costs low;
The resulting product is of high quality.

Pick two...
And the short version I was taught was --> Good, Fast, or Cheep, pick any two.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raitchison View Post

Disappointing is that neither company plans on any direct investment into the new venture, instead they will seek outside investment to actually fund the build out, which means if there is no investment there will be no build-out.

But hey, now GM can claim they are actually doing something to support EV charging needs even if they really aren't.
Yup, I'm unclear as to what GM's contribution actually is here. Are they just filing paperwork to incorporate a business venture? I can do that. Do they then assume a VC will pony up the coin?
As Redpoint mentioned and I completely agree, there's no money in charging for charging, yet. They need to be plugged in to make money and the numbers of non-Tesla EV's that road trip (face it, the vast majority of EV's only need to pay for charging when on a road trip, not urban charging) is a long way from making them profitable.
On the bright side, it's at least an admission by GM that EV's have their attention which is an about face from Mary Barra's comment a few years ago that GM wouldn't contribute a nickel towards a charging infrastructure. Wait, scratch that, they still aren't contributing a nickel.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyefrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by raitchison View Post

Yup, I'm unclear as to what GM's contribution actually is here. Are they just filing paperwork to incorporate a business venture? I can do that. Do they then assume a VC will pony up the coin?
As Redpoint mentioned and I completely agree, there's no money in charging for charging, yet. They need to be plugged in to make money and the numbers of non-Tesla EV's that road trip (face it, the vast majority of EV's only need to pay for charging when on a road trip, not urban charging) is a long way from making them profitable.
On the bright side, it's at least an admission by GM that EV's have their attention which is an about face from Mary Barra's comment a few years ago that GM wouldn't contribute a nickel towards a charging infrastructure. Wait, scratch that, they still aren't contributing a nickel.
Oh look, a Tesla apologist poo-pooing GM doing something to promote EVs and fast charging infrastructure. Imagine that. Shocked, I tell ya, shocked.
And GM has contributed more than a nickel. Once again, another blatant lie from TSLA zealot Dyefrog. What else is new.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300835832.html
Now we all wait for your all too predictable retcon of yet another one of your false statements. I still laugh at your feeble attempt at trying to convince people Bolt owners are the ones criticizing non-Tesla fast charging infrastructure and not Tesla owners.

Last edited by bro1999; 05-28-2019 at 10:41 PM.