Personally, I would prefer this be GM exclusive (GM plans national charging network) - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

20Likes

post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Personally, I would prefer this be GM exclusive (GM plans national charging network)

It would be a simple matter to authenticate that the attached vehicle is a GM model and not charge otherwise. Why should Tesla be able to restrict charging on their infrastructure to Teslas, while GM allows Teslas to charge on their infrastructure. That doesn't sound fair.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/28/busin...ons/index.html

Last edited by bro1999; 05-28-2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: edited title for clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Unless I missed it, the article doesn't say Tesla can use the chargers. As you know, they can't currently use EVgo or EA chargers (at least in the US), so I don't see where the new network will be any different.
Also, this concerns me:
Neither company plans to put money into this project, though. The two companies will create a separate corporation to build the charging network and other companies are being invited to invest in it.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Tom View Post
As you know, they can't currently use EVgo or EA chargers (at least in the US)
That only applies to the Model 3.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugshare.p...tos/205096.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:30 AM

As to GM hooking up with a bloated corporation, with zero EV charging experience...this is a joke. Check back in a decade to see how they are doing.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJETSON View Post
As to GM hooking up with a bloated corporation, with zero EV charging experience...this is a joke. Check back in a decade to see how they are doing.
I don't care WHO builds them as long as they work well , placed where needed and are priced below gas equivalent.
ballen1923 and 121 Kw like this.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davioh2001 View Post
I don't care WHO builds them as long as they work well , placed where needed and are priced below gas equivalent.
If you think anything Bechtel is connected with will be reasonable priced, think again.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davioh2001 View Post
If you think anything Bechtel is connected with will be reasonable priced, think again.
Well, I am not sure about Bechtel specifically, but from personal experience with Black&Veatch (similar company) while expensive, they definitely do design right.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Tom View Post
Unless I missed it, the article doesn't say Tesla can use the chargers. As you know, they can't currently use EVgo or EA chargers (at least in the US), so I don't see where the new network will be any different.
Also, this concerns me:
Neither company plans to put money into this project, though. The two companies will create a separate corporation to build the charging network and other companies are being invited to invest in it.
The article makes it pretty clear that the plan is to be the design and construction part of the corporation and the funding and retail side of the operation will be an energy company. I am pretty sure that no company wants Teslas on their network because charging networks are quickly becoming oversubscribed and by the time this is built they will be completely oversubscribed, so there will be no requirement to solicit more demand.

There is zero direct money in charging networks, so the energy companies will just be doing it for PR, although longer term there is the possibility to derive secondary revenue from colocated retail (a business model energy companies are acquainted with).
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
The model S in the picture you linked is using a ChaDeMo adapter. CCS adapters aren't available in the US....yet
https://electrek.co/2019/05/07/tesla...s-x-retrofits/
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoon View Post
The article makes it pretty clear that the plan is to be the design and construction part of the corporation and the funding and retail side of the operation will be an energy company. I am pretty sure that no company wants Teslas on their network because charging networks are quickly becoming oversubscribed and by the time this is built they will be completely oversubscribed, so there will be no requirement to solicit more demand.

There is zero direct money in charging networks, so the energy companies will just be doing it for PR, although longer term there is the possibility to derive secondary revenue from colocated retail (a business model energy companies are acquainted with).
The funding part is what scares me. Some energy companies are seeing the light and installing chargers, but in my experience it's few and far between. So we'll see.
It's still a good sign that GM is "trying" to get a charging network going. I hope they are successful.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page