1Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Pod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
EA App Report, Charging Issue?

I downloaded and signed up for the Pass+ plan one day before a 438 mile trip across I-80 in Nebraska and up through the remote sandhills of the panhandle. Three EA stops on the way but opted for two on the way back. Unfortunately, the NFC detection didn't work three of the five times. Since I paid with a credit card, I didn't get my discount on those stops. I didn't know there was an alternative method to charge via the app called "swipe to charge" so that's on me. I called EA at the first stop but unfortunately the person didn't recommend this alternate method.

More troubling to me is that it seems I have to gently lift the charge handle while the car negotiates a session or the session will fail - even on the "lighter" 150 kw chargers. It's at the point now that I don't even try to see if it works without doing this ritual. I was with my son so he handled the payments while I held the charge handle during session setup. I'm not sure how this would have worked if I was by myself (other than parking parallel to the charger).

I've never used a non-EA DCFC so I don't know if this is an issue exclusive to them. There is a Charge Point DCFC not terribly far from me so I may have to try that one. Could this be an issue with the car itself? I never have problems with L2 chargers. Any workarounds or hacks?

Other than that, it was a hugely enjoyable trip and fun to drive through remote areas of the state that haven't seen much electric car traffic.

Last edited by Pod; 06-10-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod View Post
I downloaded and signed up for the Pass+ plan one day before a 438 mile trip across I-80 in Nebraska and up through the remote sandhills of the panhandle. Three EA stops on the way but opted for two on the way back. Unfortunately, the NFC detection didn't work three of the five times. Since I paid with a credit card, I didn't get my discount on those stops. I didn't know there was an alternative method to charge via the app called "swipe to charge" so that's on me. I called EA at the first stop but unfortunately the person didn't recommend this alternate method.

More troubling to me is that it seems I have to gently lift the charge handle while the car negotiates a session or the session will fail - even on the "lighter" 150 kw chargers. It's at the point now that I don't even try to see if it works without doing this ritual. I was with my son so he handled the payments while I held the charge handle during session setup. I'm not sure how this would have worked if I was by myself (other than parking parallel to the charger).

I've never used a non-EA DCFC so I don't know if this is an issue exclusive to them. There is a Charge Point DCFC not terribly far from me so I may have to try that one. Could this be an issue with the car itself? I never have problems with L2 chargers. Any workarounds or hacks?

Other than that, it was a hugely enjoyable trip and fun to drive through remote areas of the state that haven't seen much electric car traffic.
I believe @NewsCoulomb has reported on this same exact issue. I'm sure he can chime in on the problem.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bro1999; 06-10-2019 at 12:10 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
do you think the issue is the Bolt's locking mechanism? can you hear it actuate? there's reports of it jamming upon release, but makes sense that it might bind at startup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Pod

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ12 View Post
do you think the issue is the Bolt's locking mechanism? can you hear it actuate? there's reports of it jamming upon release, but makes sense that it might bind at startup.
Good question. I'll pay closer attention next time. There are noises from both the car and the station during this initialization process. Maybe one of those sounds is the handle trying to engage. I will add there was a station that failed several minutes into the a successfully negotiated session (twice). This was the same station/handle I had used successfully several days before. I moved to another station and all was fine - although a bit nerve-racking.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Pod

(Thread Starter)
I should also add the app shows the state of charge in real time which is pretty handy when sitting in a restaurant.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod View Post
Good question. I'll pay closer attention next time. There are noises from both the car and the station during this initialization process. Maybe one of those sounds is the handle trying to engage. I will add there was a station that failed several minutes into the a successfully negotiated session (twice). This was the same station/handle I had used successfully several days before. I moved to another station and all was fine - although a bit nerve-racking.
Looked like they had three price ranges based on kW. Where 75kW was the cheapest. But does it adjust the pricing if you're only drawing 55kW on a 350kW charger? Or do you pay a premium for using the higher kW chargers if they're the only ones that might be working?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ12 View Post
Looked like they had three price ranges based on kW. Where 75kW was the cheapest. But does it adjust the pricing if you're only drawing 55kW on a 350kW charger? Or do you pay a premium for using the higher kW chargers if they're the only ones that might be working?
From what I've gleaned, during the initial handshake the car tells the station what its max charge rate is, then you get charged for the entire session at that rate.I don't think there's any dynamic pricing in place, where if you went from 125 kW down below 75, you'd also get the cheaper <75 kW pricing.

I'm curious what a Tesla plugged into a CHAdeMO EA station with the CHAdeMO adapter would get charged.
ZoomZoom likes this.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Pod

(Thread Starter)
Tried the nearby ChargePoint DCFC and it worked without any issues. Plug and play, so to speak.

Anyone else having initialization issues with EA chargers?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Got a call from EA

Last week we went on a family trip and charged at several EA chargers. The app debuted just in time; I signed up on Monday afternoon and we left on Monday evening.

I had a repeated issue on Tuesday through Thursday of last week with specific chargers not appearing on the map or in the "View All" list. Sometimes they would appear only when the map was panned or zoomed just so, but others they didn't appear at all. It's frustrating to be standing at a charger and have the app tell you that the nearest one is 70 miles away. For one charge on Thursday night I paid with a credit card because I was just not up for calling customer service yet again when the contactless payment failed and the swipe-to-charge wouldn't work because the charger was missing in the app.

I mentioned the disappearing chargers when calling customer support about a charger that was refusing to initiate a charge (error 15002). Just now I got a call from an EA customer service rep following up with me. She asked for more details, said that they'd pushed out an app update and asked if that had fixed it. I told her that I downloaded the app update on Friday or Saturday, and I haven't had trouble finding charger locations since then. (It's now easier to find the red exclamation point marking a charger location that's completely out of service, but that's a different story.)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Yes, I have had to hold the handle up at one EA station. But it sufficed to start the session on the screen and then
turn and hold up the handle. I did not have to do both. I am thinking of finding a forked stick of just the right length and storing

in in the back just in case.

BOR

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page