Hi - I'm contemplating a Bolt :) - Page 2 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

14Likes

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I'm sure different areas have different ways of providing L2 chargers. Here in FL.. free level 2 chargers are not rare.
They started with low to no cost Chargepoint L2's which were installed really before anyone had an electric car.. and confused EV owners by requiring a credit card or an app to initiate a charge.. despite most of them actually being free, though some wernt.
Now.. a lot of public spaces here are replacing their CP L2 networked chargers for simpler non-networked and free Clipper Creek chargers.
That said.. unless you have a charger at your home or office.. having to rely on free L2s for most or all of your charging needs would be very difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Think seriously before getting an EV. This car isn't managed like any other vehicle you have had.

1) As a short to moderate commuter/city car, the Bolt is fantastic. Home charging when you need it. Almost no maintenance required. I love it.
2) Big distances (which certainly can be done) involve much more planning, time, and hassle than you may be willing or want to invest. If the majority of you distance trips can be handled with a simple stop and charge at a station you can trust, no problem. But if you take trips to places that are not supported by the recharging infrastructure OR unwilling to add the additional time it takes to charge when you go distance, this technology might not be for you.

You can find a high MPG ICE car that will be much more cost effective than a Bolt. You have to want to buy into this technology.
hatchy likes this.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
[quote=clementine;500305]I don't drive that frequently during the week because work, stores, and virtually everything I need is within a bike ride distance from home, but I do go on long road trips on the weekends.

Honestly, in my opinion and from my experience:
1. Unless your putting at least 15000 miles a year on your car.. you may not see savings from a new electric car for a very long time.
2. While I love my Bolt for my 100 mile commute.. it is not the best road trip car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Think seriously before getting an EV. This car isn't managed like any other vehicle you have had. You can find a high MPG ICE car that will be much more cost effective than a Bolt. You have to want to buy into this technology.
Agree completely; your use profile is diametrically opposed to the ideal Bolt use. We also love our Bolt for everyday local errand running, but for long road trips on the weekends, buy the ICE which fits your needs and budget.

jack vines
hatchy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Chevy dealers have to have DCFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbolt View Post
Every Chevy dealer that sells a Bolt is required to have a DCFC and the BOLT is factory DCFC, and I presume DCFC at the dealer as well as part of the delivery process. Not to say that something couldn't happen,and I agree that testing DCFC before a trip is a great idea, but I would guess any issue is much more likely that you have an operator error, or a DCFC station issue (payment, etc)

also @RichCapeCod , the Bolt is rated, at ideal battery temperature, starting from a low state of charge, and using a DCFC station capable of delivering 150A or better (typically a 62.5kW or higher DCFC), to charge at 90 miles in 30 minutes charge rate. Yes that is a lot of qualifications regarding the charge rate ;-)
When did this rule for Chevy dealers being mandated to have DCFC happen? My dealer (which also has at least 2 Bolts on the lot) only has L2, unless something was added recently. PlugShare certainly does NOT show DCFC at every Chevy dealer, or anything close to that.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrngtn View Post
When did this rule for Chevy dealers being mandated to have DCFC happen? My dealer (which also has at least 2 Bolts on the lot) only has L2, unless something was added recently. PlugShare certainly does NOT show DCFC at every Chevy dealer, or anything close to that.
Does not need to be publicly accessible or necessarily shown on plugshare, one local dealer has it on an outside wall and it is shown on plugshare, another has it in a service area. When I pressed a representative for one local dealer on where it was, he confided to me that it was still sitting in the box and had never been installed. I followed up several months later and it still was not installed

It would seem to me that the dealers would want to turn these into a potential profit center, as was suggested in one thread regarding DCFC, that the dealers form a paid DCFC network and pull in folks who need to charge. Only downside with the Chevy dealer DCFC units I have seen is that they are relatively slow compared to EA units and typically not networked so no visibility as to if it is in use.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
It would seem to me that the dealers would want to turn these into a potential profit center
There's likely some metric like revenue per sq ft - at least for the service area - that a charger won't attain. Public charging would just cause more clutter in a already overcrowded facility. It's not like a supermarket where a charger out in the far end of the lot is bait to draw in more paying customers.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Chevy dealer DCFC

Quote:
Does not need to be publicly accessible or necessarily shown on plugshare, one local dealer has it on an outside wall and it is shown on plugshare, another has it in a service area. When I pressed a representative for one local dealer on where it was, he confided to me that it was still sitting in the box and had never been installed. I followed up several months later and it still was not installed

It would seem to me that the dealers would want to turn these into a potential profit center, as was suggested in one thread regarding DCFC, that the dealers form a paid DCFC network and pull in folks who need to charge. Only downside with the Chevy dealer DCFC units I have seen is that they are relatively slow compared to EA units and typically not networked so no visibility as to if it is in use.
I just went to my dealer (Mark’s Casa Chevy, ABQ NM) and they have a new DCFC charger. Seems to be fully installed, but not yet operational. It is in a place that could be available to the public. It would be nice if GM would also set some minimum standards for these units: when available, cost, open to other than GM produces (hope not),etc.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clementine View Post
I don't drive that frequently during the week because work, stores, and virtually everything I need is within a bike ride distance from home, but I do go on long road trips on the weekends.

I'm fairly new to the process of learning about Bolts, so please forgive me for my ignorance. Is there a cost involved in using the charging stations at grocery stores, the libraries, and whatnot, or do you use them for free? They are all over my neighborhood but I've never inspected one or closely watched someone plugging in.
You need to define long road trip. If you can leave home with a full charge and get to a destination with a charger, or even just an outlet (preferably 240 volts) and have around 20-30 miles safety miles left over you are golden. But be aware, that at let's say at a friends house, there is only a 120 volt outlet, you may not charge fully even overnight if your battery was very low. My experience shows a long trip with one DC fast charge a day along the way is all I want to plan for. So if you can keep your summer trips to around 300 miles and winter trips to 200 miles you should be good to go. Today I used 56kWh out of 60 in the battery and went 250 miles. At 4.6 miles/kWh I would have had 18 miles left over which is below my acceptable level so I stopped for half an hour at a Chevy Dealer DCFC and picked up
65 miles of extra range. Probably didn't need to, but it is free and right off the Hwy so what the heck.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I wouldn't buy a Bolt if I didn't have free charging at work and near my home. While I expect to drive about 15,000 miles per year in a Bolt (so the savings on gas would make any sense), I absolutely wouldn't buy a Bolt for road trips. Maybe it's doable, but for a long trip, you'd spend twice more time than in an ICE or PHEV car.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC View Post
At 4.6 miles/kWh I would have had 18 miles left over which is below my acceptable level so I stopped for half an hour at a Chevy Dealer DCFC and picked up
65 miles of extra range. Probably didn't need to, but it is free and right off the Hwy so what the heck.

It's amazing that you get 4.6 miles/kWh, I get only 3-3.5 at highway speeds and with AC.

It's also surprising that the Chevy dealer allows random people to occupy his charger. Maybe the concentration of EVs is still small in his area.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page