User Tag List

20Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry Big John john

Drove from amherst to Boston,Ma last Feb. and got this tremendous range shock; because I travleled Interstate rather quickly, my range dropped dramatically. Had difficulty recharging on the Mass. Pike on my trip home at two gas stations. I've been leery ever since of making the trip to Boston. I'm doing research on locating re-chargers along side the Mass. Pike so I can get off the Pike and recharge if needed and I'm wondering if anybody can give any advice.

I'm a bit angry that the Chevy dealer where I bought the Bolt never mentioned that the Bolt's range,in New England drops about 100 miles in Feburary. Kinda tough finding out about "range anxiety" when the valet service at Boston Eye and Ear Clinic tells you they don't have EV charging ports in their parking lot and you have to scramble to find one to make sure you can make it home.
hatchy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Yep fast highway speeds kills range. As does New England winters I would imagine.

Were I in your location, I would get an aux diesel heater installed. That should help. And I would (I do) drive 65 in the slow lane if traffic is going fast and you need the extra range. Daily commute I'm ashamed to say it, but I blast around as fast as possible. And I have no issues. Road trips are a different story, I slow down. I've been trying to spread the word about the lousy range at high speeds here for a while.. I guess the Chevy dealers aren't doing the same.
Raymondjram and timmiser like this.

Chevy EVSE = Only EVSE. 18 months and counting.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Plugshare?
surgeonFWW likes this.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hmm. I wonder what you mean by "rather quickly". I have confirmed on several >300 mile trips that I get a range of ~230 miles when driving at 68 mph. With no headwind. I have found that a steady headwind (15 mph say) will cut way into this and similarly a steady tailwind will push me up into 260 miles or more. I'm not sure why you would expect to recharge at gas stations?
hatchy likes this.

BOR
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:07 PM

I don't know about him, but around here 80 to 85 in the fast lane is kind of normal if there is no traffic. And I do every mph of it to save time on the rare occasion there is no traffic. 68 is slow lane stuff when the freeway is open..
Terry Hancock likes this.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
John, I hear ya ! Many folks on this forum would say that you were negligent for not knowing how much range the Bolt loses in cold weather. Although I own two Bolts, and love them, I live in S. CA, so I've never experienced range loss like that. My opinion is that Chevy is negligent for not informing you about the "cold" problem. As a matter of fact, if I were living where you do, I'd be driving a nice new ICE car and avoid the cold problem altogether. Sooo, go ahead and announce from the rooftops how you were ripped off. In a sense, you were.
hatchy and ZoomZoom like this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to surgeonFWW
People who regularly drive 85 mph should not own an electric car. The number of gas stations >>>>> the number of EVSE. Having said that, our Interstate speed limit is 70 mph. By driving my Bolt EV at 60 mph, on cruise control, in the right lane, safely, with minimal A/C, destination slightly lower MSL than origin, I have gotten 260 miles easily. Range anxiety is eliminated by thorough, preliminary, conservative planning. I have over 10 trips of >400 miles in my Bolt EV in two years (tomorrow, in fact). Happy birthday, LCTRCBLU!
hatchy and cwerdna like this.

Rick's blue Bolt
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
The practicality of the Bolt seems, to a great degree, dependent on the location where it will be driven. I live on Cape Cod. Top speed on the Cape is 55 mph (route 6). A bit over 60 mph is normal. The main route to Boston (route 3), is, from memory, a 60 mph road. So, for a around a 100 mile radius around where I live speed is not much of a factor in range calculations.

Weather would be, if I were a long distance commuter. But for a "normal" commute, during a routine MA winter, range loss ought not to be too great (yeah, there may well be the anomalous 5 or 10 degree day in southeast MA, but that's pretty unusual).

One of the posters mentioned choosing your vehicle based on how you plan on using it. Makes sense to me.

Rich
Raymondjram and hatchy like this.

Rich
Cape Cod, MA/Green Valley AZ
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeonFWW View Post
People who regularly drive 85 mph should not own an electric car. The number of gas stations >>>>> the number of EVSE
Daily 85mph in a Bolt *can* be perfectly fine if you can tolerate the range hit. Same with the cold, some folks knew about the hit and are fine with it.

If you aren't fine with either hit... gasmobile.

The hits also negate some of that $$/mile advantage of an EV over gas.
surgeonFWW likes this.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Garage
Most of the posts here are correct. Slow down if you are not sure about your range and charging facilities ahead of the trip. Slowing down may actually save you the time to recharge! Why drive at high speeds and later waste an hour or more just to recharge and continue?

As another has posted here, a EV owner should consider what to drive in winter. I suggest buying a Chevy Volt as a second car for cold days. Or you can move south, avoid winter for the rest of your life and save hundred of thousands of dollars in heating costs and clothing. I did this in 1962 and never suffer any winter. All we have is "Spring" from October to March, and "Summer" from April to September. I don't have a Chevy Bolt EV because I need a larger vehicle (an EV Equinox would be perfect!), but I do have a Ford hybrid that gives me 54 MPG, and I spend less than $400 a year in fuel cost and oil changes.
hatchy likes this.

16kW Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed and ready
EVSE registered at PlugShare.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page