1Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeyBolt

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Greeting from FL

Hello all. I'm coming from 2 years of Volt ownership as I just traded the 2017 Volt for my 2019 Cajun Red Bolt Premier yesterday. After 2 years of ownership with the Volt, I realized I had gone 10,000 miles and only put one tank of gas in that car and in that time, never took a trip over 100 miles. It was time to go full-in on a BEV.

My choices were a Model 3 or Bolt. My "type" is more Model 3 but I did days of research, coming here to view common problems and complaints and doing the same on the Model 3 forums. Came to the conclusion that both cars (like ANY car) will have some common complaints but none of them looked like make or break deals: rebooting infotainment, creaking sounds, panel gaps, etc. Big problems like battery replacements looked few and far between for both vehicles, so it came down to features and lifestyle fit.

I decided on the Bolt primarily because the Model 3 was missing some features I really wanted (Sirius/XM, Android Auto, and the 360 birds eye camera) and the fact that I came to the conclusion that I'd probably be "afraid" to drive the Model 3 in fear that if just about anything happened to the car that required body work, I'd lose my car for months! Plus with what appears to be a trend of Model 3's getting keyed or otherwise vandalized, it looks like some people label Model 3 owners as snobs and go after their cars. I'd rather fly under the radar.

Anyway, I'm new to the Bolt but not new to electric driving. Will see you all in the forums.

Mike
zzzing likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum. You'll love the Bolt and sometimes anonymity is a good thing.

We also have the Cajun Red and learned it's an expensive three-step repair, so not getting keyed is a good thing.

jack vines
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBolt View Post
...getting keyed or otherwise vandalized...
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new Bolt.

I just saw a Cadillac SUV that had been keyed. Sad that this happens. When my kids turned sixteen a decade ago and needed cars, one of their "requirements" for a car, was something "normal" so they wouldn't get keyed at their high school.

Hopefully GM doesn't go full Cadillac with their future BEVs. As one of our "requirements" is to be "normal".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Hi and welcome to the forum!
It looks like your research was spot on and I'm sure you won't be sorry you picked the Bolt.

2018 Mosaic Black Metallic with factory black bow tie kit.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello all. I'm coming from 2 years of Volt ownership as I just traded the 2017 Volt for my 2019 Cajun Red Bolt Premier yesterday. After 2 years of ownership with the Volt, I realized I had gone 10,000 miles and only put one tank of gas in that car and in that time, never took a trip over 100 miles. It was time to go full-in on a BEV.

My choices were a Model 3 or Bolt. My "type" is more Model 3 but I did days of research, coming here to view common problems and complaints and doing the same on the Model 3 forums. Came to the conclusion that both cars (like ANY car) will have some common complaints but none of them looked like make or break deals: rebooting infotainment, creaking sounds, panel gaps, etc. Big problems like battery replacements looked few and far between for both vehicles, so it came down to features and lifestyle fit.

I decided on the Bolt primarily because the Model 3 was missing some features I really wanted (Sirius/XM, Android Auto, and the 360 birds eye camera) and the fact that I came to the conclusion that I'd probably be "afraid" to drive the Model 3 in fear that if just about anything happened to the car that required body work, I'd lose my car for months! Plus with what appears to be a trend of Model 3's getting keyed or otherwise vandalized, it looks like some people label Model 3 owners as snobs and go after their cars. I'd rather fly under the radar.

Anyway, I'm new to the Bolt but not new to electric driving. Will see you all in the forums.

Mike
You did a good analysis. You did not mention the hatch and cargo size, which is really already CUV, in the case of the Bolt. Those are daily uses in our family. And I am sure that your delivered price had little in common with the FINAL delivered price of the Tesla.

I've been here. I've been there. And I've been in-between.

Driving Electrics since 1973.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Hancock View Post
You did a good analysis. You did not mention the hatch and cargo size, which is really already CUV, in the case of the Bolt. Those are daily uses in our family. And I am sure that your delivered price had little in common with the FINAL delivered price of the Tesla.
Cargo size is not a big concern for me but it is quite good in the Bolt. I was under the impression that I could have gotten a Model 3 for around the same price. I got a decent deal but only about 2k off sticker. Sticker was $44k and I paid that "out the door" after taxes, tags, destination charge, etc. So I got maybe $2500 to $3000 off. When I looked up the Model 3 in my area, they had an inventory of 58 and most were the one I was considering: the Standard Range Plus. Those were all listed as $40,990. And there were plenty available for delivery within a few days (existing inventory in Tampa).

So the prices seemed comparable to me. Unless Tesla has hidden charges they would have hit me with.

Mike
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Don't think too hard about the price now that you've bought it, is my advice. Life is too short.

I also looked at the Standard Range Plus, and I was also scared off of Tesla for similar reasons, such as length of repair. Before this Bolt I owned a Gen 1 Volt that was hit in a hit and run and the repair took a very very long time, so that was not an experience I wanted to repeat.

Of course, now that I have my daily driver (The Bolt) part of me is considering getting a used Tesla as a second beat it into the ground fun car.

Weird number.

Happily driving The Gonk 70 (Shock Yellow 2019 Bolt)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
"Don't think too hard about the price now that you've bought it, is my advice. Life is too short."
You've got that right! Enjoy your Bolt!

2018 Mosaic Black Metallic with factory black bow tie kit.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello all. I'm coming from 2 years of Volt ownership as I just traded the 2017 Volt for my 2019 Cajun Red Bolt Premier yesterday.
Welcome, fellow Floridian! 🙂

Your situation sounds similar to mine (just the model years are off by a few): traded in a 2013 Volt Premier for a 2017 Cajun Red Bolt Premier. And also considered the Model 3 (though at the time in mid-2017 they were not yet being manufactured) but went with the Bolt. Been very happy with that decision ever since. Enjoy your new ride!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page