post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Juicebox question

Hi,

Two part question:

1. My dryer is run by natural gas so I have an available dryer plug in the laundry room, adjacent to the garage. 240v, 30 amps. I have the Juicebox 40 and an adapter for the dryer plug. In the Juicebox app I set it to draw only 24 amps to be on the safe side. Does this sound like a reasonable and safe set up? The cord reaches the car and I just charged successfully for two hours.

2. However, even though I have Hilltop Reserve on, the charge with the Juicebox seemed to go beyond the reserve. When I charge with the L1 it shuts off when it reaches 85% or so. The Juicebox took it to 90% before I unplugged.

thoughts?
thanks,
Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
1) it sounds safe - but you should check the rating on the circuit breaker to make sure that it is at least 30 amps (80% of 30 is 24).

2) Hilltop Reserve is 'about' 90% (I've heard 87% to 90% in the past, from different users).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
If the breaker is indeed 30 A, then you are good to go @ 24A continuous.

Running a cord thru the door to your garage is another subject. Shouldn't take much to get the outlet moved to the garage - sounds like it may be located in the wall between the garage and laundry?

Some people may think I'm trying to be the "safety police", but when I hear people doing things that are dangerous, I think it is worth pointing out. If they are aware of the risks, it's a conscious decision. I've found that most are unaware of the codes and those that are are not fully aware of the reason for those codes.

In addition to the NEC, building codes in this case would be circumvented by keeping the garage/laundry door open or cracked to accommodate the cord. There are specific codes regarding fire separation requirements for drywall, doors and any wall penetrations between the garage and living spaces. Ever notice that the door to your garage is different than any other in the house?

It very likely won't cost much to relocate the outlet to the garage.

Gary
2018 Honda Clarity Electric
2014 Honda Fit EV - goodbye after 5 years
(Re)Lease expires Jan 2019
NDEW City Captain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association (OEVA)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
rbulman, I was in the same situation as you with an available 240 v plug in the adjacent laundry room to the garage. For $100 I had an electrician come out and move the outlet to the garage. It also gave me piece of mind to have another person check my setup.

What you've mentioned is consistent with what I've seen with my Juicebox 40 in terms of 90% charge.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks. We have an electrician coming out to give us a quote soon!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page