Electric car battery with 600 miles of range? This startup claims to have done it - Page 5 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

29Likes

post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsCoulomb View Post
There are a few movements to try to get a Constitutional Amendment prohibiting bribery. Wolf PAC is probably the most well known.

Of course, most of these politicians are already in violation of the Titles of Nobility (Emoluments) Clause of the Constitution. Essentially, because a significant amount of money they are receiving is given in order to lobby on behalf of foreign countries (or international corporations that are partially owned by foreign governments), they are prohibited from holding a Federal office. That's part of the reason Congress didn't want to pursue President Trump for his violations of the Emoluments clause: If we actually started enforcing the Constitution, about 90% of Congress would be required by law to step down.
Yup.

Just to stay (sort of) on topic (I think the mod is about to toss me right about now) :

The pres hopeful I'm most likely to let test drive my 2019 Chevrolet Bolt is Pete Buttigieg.

Mark
'19 Bolt Premier Blac, /w all the accoutrements
2004 Gibson Les Paul Custom - Wine
Rotten wife who keeps taking off in the fun car,
and I never get to drive it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsCoulomb View Post
I recall one story about a Volt fleet that was run primarily on gas because the drivers didn't want to plug them in at home. My guess is they would have been compensated for the energy costs, but they probably felt that it wasn't worth their time.
I posted about this way back (2013?)on the volt forum. I was refueling my Volt and another Volt was refueling on the other side of the pump island so I had to chat up the driver. Guy was a field engineer for GE (the fleet owner) and explained why he (they) didn't bother recharging.
They may drive hundreds of miles in a day so the EV range was inconsequential.
They spend a lot of nights in motels. Even if a outlet was available, after a long day of work, they are human and want to eat and rest, not dick with extension cords or EVSEs in crappy weather to get a bucks worth of juice.
They had a gas card.
NewsCoulomb likes this.

D-2274 Volt - gone but not forgotten
188005 2017 Bolt Premier
Midland, MI
"This movie (Dr. Zhivago) pulls so many punches and it STILL makes Communism look like the worst idea any human being has ever had"
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmarkmcdougal View Post
Our grid is failing, we have ignored the problem for decades.

I agree that renewable energy will put an additional strain on the grid, and make it more difficult to balance. In some areas of the country, it is feasible to use solar (somewhat predictable) and wind (unpredictable) with predictable sources like geothermal, hydroelectric (dams) , perhaps wave (when the prices come down a bit) to balance, with storage to even things out.

But, in other areas, where the steady sources are not as available, we can use nuclear to balance. Nuclear has gotten a bad name in the past, as expensive and dangerous, and the problems of spent fuel rods doesn't help.

But the research has continued, and current nuclear designs are safer, more cost effective, and some designs include use of spent fuel as fuel.

The *Real* problem, as I see it, is a lack of leadership currently in our government. The current administration is woefully ignorant of the climate problems we face, and so committed to the oil companies, they are doing nothing to help the situation - forcing us to do it as best we can, by ourselves.

Acknowledgment of climate change, a solid, well developed energy plan, working with other countries, much more emphasis on R&D (for storage, new nuclear, and more long term solutions - like space based solar and fusion) , commitment to building latest-technology nuclear, rebuilding the grid - these are the the things we desperately need to support. Without them, we'll keep floundering inefficiently, trying to accomplish all this at the grass roots level. We're running out of time, to be able to stop climate change at all. We think we have problems now, having to pay more taxes to put put band-aids on the effects of climate change, I shudder to think about what life would be like for our grandchildren should we fail, and slip into the next ice age. They'd be screwed. We need a new administration, and a plan. Like, yesterday.

My two sons decided not to have kids, specifically because of the issues you raise. They don't want to bring children into this world, only to watch them suffer. I applaud their decision, but greatly miss the grandchildren.

Driving electric since 1997!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrew View Post
My two sons decided not to have kids, specifically because of the issues you raise. They don't want to bring children into this world, only to watch them suffer. I applaud their decision, but greatly miss the grandchildren.
Man, I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm hoping that the last two years has shown a spotlight on a lot of the stuff we *don't* want to be, and that we'll finally get off our butts and start making some good decisions. If that's the case, perhaps you'll get to bounce some of those grand-babies on your knee after all.

It kind of seems like we humans end up eventually doing the right thing, after all other options have been exhausted....
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Mark
'19 Bolt Premier Blac, /w all the accoutrements
2004 Gibson Les Paul Custom - Wine
Rotten wife who keeps taking off in the fun car,
and I never get to drive it
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrew View Post
Same story here. Although I am not sorry. I think the cephalopods might do better. Big brains, and no hands.
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker View Post
They may drive hundreds of miles in a day so the EV range was inconsequential.
They spend a lot of nights in motels. Even if a outlet was available, after a long day of work, they are human and want to eat and rest, not dick with extension cords or EVSEs in crappy weather to get a bucks worth of juice.
They had a gas card.
I drive a relatively inefficient CX-5 (28 MPG) most of the time because my company pays the gas for personal use. I've got a Prius, but they won't pay for gas for that vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmarkmcdougal View Post
It kind of seems like we humans end up eventually doing the right thing, after all other options have been exhausted....
That's the story of my life.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page