User Tag List

8Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Will All Bolts Support Autocharge

The Autocharge standard allows frictionless charging at paid stations. You simply hook up your car and it reads the serial number to find the right account to pull funds from. Many networks are promising support with some like EVgo already supporting it in their newer supercharger locations.

EVgo is building these to support Chevy Maven's gig drivers so I hope our Bolts will have this feature, but does anyone know for sure? Will we need a firmware update? Chevy needs to get going with their OTA updates of our firmware like promised.
surgeonFWW likes this.

9th Year of Pure EV Driving: Gray Bolt | White Bolt | Black Model S | Two Model 3
Tesla Savings Wiki:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Maybe I'm old fashioned. or just old. But I'd rather just pay with a credit card. I hate setting up accounts for anything. I've got so many passwords and accounts that one more is just too many. I do like the idea that our Bolts are upgradable via OTA. Even if it's something I wouldn't use or like per se.
hatchy and Terry Hancock like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeler View Post
The Autocharge standard allows frictionless charging at paid stations. You simply hook up your car and it reads the serial number to find the right account to pull funds from. Many networks are promising support with some like EVgo already supporting it in their newer supercharger locations.

EVgo is building these to support Chevy Maven's gig drivers so I hope our Bolts will have this feature, but does anyone know for sure? Will we need a firmware update? Chevy needs to get going with their OTA updates of our firmware like promised.
And where's that update GM said they'd be putting out later this year that will allow us Bolt owners to see real-time status of stations managed by the largest charging networks (EVgo, Chargepoint, etc) and start charge sessions in the car without the need to use RFID cards or log into each charging network's individual apps? I believe they stated negotiations with the charging networks would be done by Q1 of this year.
cwerdna likes this.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Garage
As I recall the authentication protocol is part of one of the more recent updates to the J1772/CCS standard, I don't know if we've ever determined if any consumer sold Bolts support that standard.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
And where's that update GM said they'd be putting out later this year that will allow us Bolt owners to see real-time status of stations managed by the largest charging networks (EVgo, Chargepoint, etc) and start charge sessions in the car without the need to use RFID cards or log into each charging network's individual apps? I believe they stated negotiations with the charging networks would be done by Q1 of this year.
Isn't that likely to only work if you have a paid OnStar subscription anyways?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raitchison View Post
Isn't that likely to only work if you have a paid OnStar subscription anyways?
From what I gather, having the free basic service should be enough. I don't have a paid Onstar subscription, but I can still use the energy assist feature in the Mychevy app, along with other remote features (lock/unlock, charge status updates, etc) for example. People that have no Onstar service of any kind may be SOL though.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Quote:
EVgo is building these to support Chevy Maven's gig drivers so I hope our Bolts will have this feature.
It's very naive to expect feature upgrades to vehicles that have already been sold. It's just not something that Detroit does.
raitchison, Phil and Terry Hancock like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

The first time I charged using EVGo, my iPhone with the EVGo app was connected to my 2017 Chevy Bolt. I arrived at an EVGo fast-charge station, and was surprised to find that, as soon as I plugged in to charge, my phone simply asked me to "Swipe to Charge," and the charging started automatically. I didn't have to do anything at the charge post. Everything went smoothly and automatically.

I was able to monitor every step of the charge session on my iPhone and was warned when it was charged to 80%, at which point I disconnected and terminated my charging session. I found this to be the most ideal way to charge using the EVGo app on my iPhone.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquesroman View Post
The first time I charged using EVGo, my iPhone with the EVGo app was connected to my 2017 Chevy Bolt. I arrived at an EVGo fast-charge station, and was surprised to find that, as soon as I plugged in to charge, my phone simply asked me to "Swipe to Charge," and the charging started automatically. I didn't have to do anything at the charge post. Everything went smoothly and automatically.

I was able to monitor every step of the charge session on my iPhone and was warned when it was charged to 80%, at which point I disconnected and terminated my charging session. I found this to be the most ideal way to charge using the EVGo app on my iPhone.
Great. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if this will work with Android?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquesroman View Post
I bet that was a station with only one fast charger. Their new stations have many chargers so there will have to be a way to know your app is for your car. The Autocharge protocol will support this.

If Maven will support Autocharge, that version of the firmware will have to provide support. I can't imagine that would not bleed into the non-Maven Bolts if your car was updated. The standard firmware probably has some extra code for Maven, but Autocharge must be in that software stack is my guess.

9th Year of Pure EV Driving: Gray Bolt | White Bolt | Black Model S | Two Model 3
Tesla Savings Wiki:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page