User Tag List

34Likes

post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbolt View Post
DCFC is the charger, it negotiates the power delivered to the vehicle, when using Level 2 the charger is in the vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertiformed View Post
You're technically correct, but this kind of pedantry is like the folks who will point out that strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries are not berries, but “aggregate fruits”, and cherries are not berries either, they are “drupes”, and mulberries aren't berries, they're “multiple fruits”. On the other hand, eggplant, bananas, cucumbers, pomegranates and chili peppers are all berries. So when you ask for berries on your cereal, don't be surprised if you get slices of cucumber and habanero.

Yes, technically we should either refer to “charging stations” or “EVSEs”, but people will call them chargers and that's perfectly okay to anyone who is happy to consider a peanuts, cashews, almonds, and pistachios nuts (technically, they're not, of course, but let it go folks).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxEVLyftUber View Post
VF - TY for setting me straight on comms between car and EVSE / charger...I made a bad assumption. I find the Chevy app on my Android slow and kludgey.

WB - I do know where the various chargers live...even if I was sloppy as to terminology.
@Vertiformed anytime you interpret a post of mine as being "pedantry", sarcastic, or not helpful, be confident that you have misinterpreted my intention.

If that particular post, or any other of my posts, have come across that way, I apologize. My only intent is to share information I have learned from personal experience with the Bolt over the last two years, my knowledge as an Electrical Engineer, and that which I have learned from you, and others posting to this forum.

Based on the prior question and my response to @JaxEVLyftUber , I was trying to distinguish between types of chargers, on-board or external. Re-reading my post a potentially better response would be "To my knowledge, the JuiceBox lacks the circuitry or hardware to decode that information and report it, if that information is even made available by the Bolt once it determines it is connected to a level 2 EVSE, like a JuiceBox"
surgeonFWW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
*knock on wood. But my juicebox has been working perfectly fine since I first hooked it up. No complaints at all. It charges fast, actually faster than my level 2 charger at work. One at work is 32amps vs the juicebox that I have is 40amps. Also, what's the complaint about 8amps?? I thought the 8amp vs 12amp thing is only for level 1 charging? I don't know much about that. Sorry. But...my juicebox is done charging faster than most other level 2 chargers. The wifi was annoying at first, but easily got it connected using a different phone. Ever since I connected to the wifi, it's never lost a signal. I'm talking months in service. Also, the many that are having issues with this charger, and especially if it stops "working"...you might want to take a look at your electrical work. Did you do it yourself? Have an electrician?? Either way, maybe it's not hooked up properly. Right gauge wire? Right breaker load?? Many factors that can affect performance of something like a high amp charger. It's not like an electric oven or electric dryer. Anyways, I just want to say that I frigging love this thing. And I got a refurbished one from eBay for like $350!
Vertiformed likes this.
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi in answer to your questions, yes it was installed by a proper electrician and tested. The first one I received was just DOA, it would not charge beyond 8A, this was confirmed by JB tech support. The second unit worked perfectly for a month and then just stopped working, JB tech support verified they could see that my outlet was and had been supplying the correct power consistently and in their opinion the issue was with the unit, not my power outlet. Maybe it's just bad luck on my part, but when the second unit failed, I tested charging with the supplied 120v charger and it worked fine and then took the car to public charger which also worked fine. We really did look at everything and covered all the bases.
surgeonFWW and Sibilance like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodePop View Post
It charges fast, actually faster than my level 2 charger at work. One at work is 32amps vs the juicebox that I have is 40amps.
I'll bet your one at work is on commercial power so it may be running at 208V instead of 240V like you have at your house.
Vertiformed likes this.
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ12 View Post
I'll bet your one at work is on commercial power so it may be running at 208V instead of 240V like you have at your house.
Yes, that's possible. It's a different network though. They use chargepoint at work. Not sure what it's really rated at, however, it normally estimates about an hour or two longer than the one at home.
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeonFWW View Post
Siemens VersiCharge, non-WiFi, plugged (NEMA 6-50) version, in garage, 2 feet from service panel, 40 amp breaker, wire size suitable for 40 amps, 50 amp capable outlet, 24 months, 100% flawless performance.
But have you used it with the bolt's departure time delayed charging? I just got my second red halo, blue number 4 (ostensibly - ground fault) error.

Is it really so hard to make a charger that works? Not that complicated a machine....

Mark
'19 Bolt Premier Blac, /w all the accoutrements
2004 Gibson Les Paul Custom - Wine
Rotten wife who keeps taking off in the fun car,
and I never get to drive it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxEVLyftUber View Post
I'm another happy JuiceBoxer - I just wish it would display SOC in the online app.

I'm a very heavy user of mine - 40+ kWh daily.

My only issue arose from my own ignorance - I let the plug end get wet and it (properly) failed on ground fault.
My VersaCharge has ground faulted twice in the last week. It was raining, and it's outside. The nozzle is stored in a weatherproof box, and it wasn't wet when it was inserted - I wonder if water is getting up in there while it's inserted...

Mark
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmarkmcdougal View Post
My VersaCharge has ground faulted twice in the last week. It was raining, and it's outside. The nozzle is stored in a weatherproof box, and it wasn't wet when it was inserted - I wonder if water is getting up in there while it's inserted...
In case anyone's interested, I ordered a new VersaCharge, will be delivered today. If it also ground faults, I'll return it and try a JuceBox.

Mark