Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Chevy Bolt EV Forum (https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/)
-   Charging and Batteries (https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/)
-   -   Disappointing experience with Juicebox (https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/32597-disappointing-experience-juicebox.html)

ashman70 04-27-2019 10:52 AM

Disappointing experience with Juicebox

I bought a juicebox charger off amazon after I got my Bolt in or around the first week or so of March, it arrived, had an electrician install the line and outlet in our garage. The unit didn't work right out of the box, it was almost impossible to get it connected to the WIFI and whenI finally did it was only charging at 8amps. On the phone with support, they diagnosed it as faulty and arranged to send a replacement. About four days later the replacement arrived, I swapped them out and everything was fine, until Tuesday this week. I get up to go to work, see the car had not charged over night, I shrug it off, I'll look into it when I get home, I had enough battery to get to work and back. I get home, and plug the car in and the car shows a message 'unable to charge'. Hmm. That is odd, so I do some troubleshooting, plug in the 120v charger that came with the car, it works fine. Get on the phone with support again and they are stumped, everything looks good, but the there is no voltage flowing through the charger. I email the contact at support from the first case and they tell me to try three things, the My Chevy app, the old charger and then the new charger again, nothing works. I email support back Wednesday evening to report my findings, I hear nothing from them Thursday or Friday. In the meantime I have to visit local public chargers to charge which is inconvenient to say the least. Really disappointed in Juicebox, not hearing anything after two days has really made me feel like they don't care.

XJ12 04-27-2019 11:00 AM

if you had an adapter for the Bolt's EVSE you could have tried plugging it into the 240V outlet to double check it. does the JuiceBox report back good inlet power? If one leg of the circuit is down (e.g. loose connection), it's possible the JuiceBox uses the other 120V leg to look like it's powered but can't charge.

drdiesel1 04-27-2019 11:01 AM

You are not alone. I've heard this same story and more from other users. Send it back!

GJETSON 04-27-2019 11:18 AM

Went through two faulty ones in under a year. Settled for a partial refund, rather than try a third. Bought a Tesla Gen 2 mobile unit, and a J1772 adapter. Small, simple, works perfectly. Like everything about Tesla, they are about five years ahead of everything else. Unfortunately, they appear to be sold out on the Tesla website.

ashman70 04-27-2019 12:29 PM

Yes everything was reporting back normal from the JB, disconcerting to hear others have had similar issues. Not sure where I stand in terms of a refund as my return window with Amazon closed a month ago. The other thing is the outlet I had installed for this charger seems much less popular when I went on Amazon.ca's website to look for alternatives, although I understand it's not too difficult to change the outlet.

Vertiformed 04-27-2019 12:44 PM

If you look on Amazon, you'll find that the JuiceBox Pro 40 is the number 1 best selling EVSE and has more reviews than any other, with an overall 4.5 star rating.

If you think you see a lot of reports on-line about problems with the JuiceBox Pro, I'd put that mostly down to it being the most widely used one. Perhaps not every single time, but at least some of the time when people have problems it turns out that it was actually an issue with their wiring and the JuiceBox Pro wasn't the culprit at all.

FWIW, I've had one for 1.5 years and not had any problems.

redpoint5 04-27-2019 01:01 PM

It seems to me I hear a lot of stories of the JuiceBox not working right, or failing. I don't know if there's a single failure prone part, or what.

These things should be stinking reliable though because there isn't a whole lot to them. They aren't cheap either, so there shouldn't be any skimping out on component quality.

Terry Hancock 04-27-2019 01:17 PM

My Juice Box has been totally reliable. It is over one year old at this point. It charges a Miev and a Bolt, with not even a sign of incompatibility.

I got it because of reviews like my own. But, I did have a real professional double check and install a 14-50 on the wall. Thus, I plug in the Juice Box. It is simple to ever reset, since it is plugged in. *Only did that during an initial setup.

Vertiformed 04-27-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 497823)
It seems to me I hear a lot of stories of the JuiceBox not working right, or failing. I don't know if there's a single failure prone part, or what.

These things should be stinking reliable though because there isn't a whole lot to them. They aren't cheap either, so there shouldn't be any skimping out on component quality.

And I hear lots of stories about how you've got to change the Bolt's transmission fluid every year otherwise who-knows-what might happen and how you must not charge the Bolt to 100% or you'll ruin the battery and how you can't DC fast charge a Bolt because the charging stations are ICEd or broken.

The fact that you can find plenty of people on-line saying a thing doesn't mean it's what everyone thinks.

wonderbolt 04-27-2019 03:04 PM

JuiceBox 40, 22 months, no issue. works great, easy to use, clear status, pre-wifi version