Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Plugged in to 240v outlet with adapter - 3kw ??

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  hatchy 
#1 ·
Hi. First time I've plugged my Bolt in to the 240v outlet. Using the OEM charger with an adapter. The vehicle is showing 3kw per hour charge. That does not look correct to me. Thoughts, comments, condolences?

Rich

Reactions: hatchy
#3 ·
wonderbolt, thank you for your quick response. I'm really a neophyte at all things electric (so I go and buy an electric car...).

When I plug in to a 110 outlet, I then should expect to see something on the order of 1.5kW of charge??

Thanks,

Rich

#4 · (Edited)
That's right Rich. The unit was designed for 12 amps maximum regardless of the voltage used. 120v has half the charging capability as 240v.

In another thread I was complaining about the fact that GM supplies an EVSE which is not capable of achieving the charging potential of the car. In my view, the EVSE should be an optional add-on, considering many people already have one from a previous car, or have purchased an aftermarket solution. Then, there should be an option to buy a basic no frills unit like what comes with the Bolt, or spend a bit more and get one that can provide the full charging capabilities of the car.

These EVSEs at some point are going to become like micro-USB cables. If they are included with every purchase, we'll end up with too many of these things and have no use for many of them.

#8 ·
XJ12, I set up my Bolt for 12 amps at my home location. I'll let it charge for four hours total, take a photo of the result, run out to dinner with the bride, then plug in to the 110 volt outlet and just leave it overnight. I'm taking photos of the resulting screens, so you guys can figure out how it went.

Rich

Reactions: hatchy
#9 ·
XJ12, I set up my Bolt for 12 amps at my home location. I'll let it charge for four hours total, take a photo of the result, run out to dinner with the bride, then plug in to the 110 volt outlet and just leave it overnight. I'm taking photos of the resulting screens, so you guys can figure out how it went.
Glad you like your Bolt.

It's great that you're into taking some measurements, but, FWIW, many of us have our own Bolts and know exactly how it goes when you plug into different power sources. And some of us have ODB-II connectors and Torque Pro (Android) or Engine Link (iOS) with the relevant file of Bolt PIDs to decode the data and so we already have a ton of data on exactly how charging works.

#12 ·
It was a fun fact to share, and I'm sure they understood what I meant.

I've got 2 Leaf EVSEs modified to 240v, and I only have a Prius plug-in (3 kWh usable battery). I don't need anymore slow chargers, and I bet there's a good number of others that don't need 'em either, especially if they are on their 2nd or more EV purchase.

I bought my last EVSE for $30, which tells you the market for these low power units is a bit saturated already. It will take me another $20 in materials to convert it to 240v.

#16 · (Edited)
Looks like 2.7 to 2.9 is pretty standard. Vertiform took the time to post a detailed post of the OBD results in chart format, very interesting to look at.

If you somehow were able to tweak your outlet voltage to 250, you could probly hit 3kw on the nose.. IIRC from what someone posted on the chevy evse guts, it was like 255 or 265v max on the non-chevy spec manufacturer sheet. Also would be interesting to see if we can tweak these things to go more than 12 amps. Not that I need it, but for kicks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.