Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Best charging curve I've seen yet from a 100kW DCFC

14K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Jeff N 
#1 ·

I think I mentioned it in another thread, but there's a free (as in beer) 100kW DCFC near my home that I've been using for the past 3 months or so. It'll turn into a paid station soon, but not before getting these neat charging graphs out of it. Charger doing 150A from the get-go was something I hadn't witnessed before, but apparently it can happen with the right battery temperature - around 25 to 26C.

I've made some analysis in my blog post, but I think much of the stuff are self-explanatory. We have the voltage creeping up, the current staggering down in steps (50% - 67% - 83% - 92% - 98%), the battery heating up at 150A charging and then subsequently cooling thanks to a lower ambient temperature, and the SoC curves doing a nice slope against the charging time.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
My Bolt has always tapered at around 50% and 67% on DCFC, and I am jealous of those who get to 55% and 70+% before tapering. I would think it was a temperature issue, but Eric (NewsCoulomb) drives his car pretty hard, so I doubt his battery pack is nice and cool when he starts a charge, and he gets the later taper points than me on a normal basis.

Keith

#9 ·
I had my Bolt charged under all sorts of temperature conditions, and I've consistently gotten tapering at around 50% and 67% mark. It never extended to 55% or 70+% once. One possibility that could let this could happen is if the Bolt's BMS changed its mind about (i.e. reassessed) the battery SoC value mid-charge. But if this happens consistently for certain Bolts, then I'm curious to know what the actual cause is.

#12 ·
Just to throw in my experience, displayed SoC values have always been agreement between the car’s dashboard (bar moving at the exact 5% level), the MyChevrolet app (1% resolution), and the OBD-II sensor output (0.4% resolution). So they are apparently all working with the same data source. Also, the public chargers I used had the displayed SoC value that was in sync with the aforementioned value with a delay of a couple of seconds.

#16 ·
Further evidence.... I just recently noticed that my charging video shows the car drawing around 16 kW at “97%” state of charge. That’s very unlikely but would be consistent with a state of charge of around 88%. At a real SOC of around 95-97% the car would have reduced charging down to 7-11 kW based on my past observations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.