User Tag List

2Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Nearby DCFC frequent charging

I might be having a free dcfc charging station about 15 minutes away from home. Probably 50kw.
I'm wondering about the wisdom of using it to charge most of the time. Then maybe some little top ups at home on the 120v.
I'm thinking: arrive back from where I've been, stop at this charger and "fill up", go home, maybe top up, or not. Go off somewhere else again. Arrive back. Rinse and repeat. Or pop out afterwards and charge up. Whatever is fine for convenience.

With this possible free L3...I would then stick with L1 at home @ around 9-odd cents/kwh. There might be the odd occasion where I would do L2 at a hotel or something if I'm staying there. But otherwise, mostly using dcfc. Seems to be many free ones available where I go. Of course these freebies may not last.

Is it at all bad to primarily charge by dcfc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
I've always been a fan of invading Canada, bombing the crap out of it and making it a state. But never pushed for it, until now. If there are free DCFC's up there, darn. I didn't honestly think such a thing existed except maybe the parking lot of the manufacturers themselves. (kidding about bombing Canada, don't want to disturb the Butchard Gardens)

Last edited by ZoomZoom; 06-25-2019 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Changed the D word for darn
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
I think part of the joy of an EV is the extreme convenience of charging at home. It seems odd to me to forgo that to save a couple of dollars a week, but to each their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
@ZoomZoom :

Well how about you keep your bombing fantasies to yourself

So even with a cost, would you see any problem primarily charging using dcfc most of the time?

We do also have pay per use dcfc's at 35 cents/kwh and others by the hour like $18/hour. Yet others for the price of parking. But we do have a surprising number of free dcfc's.

Yes some Chev dealers have a DCFC at about 20 or 25 kw...free.

Last edited by Bolt2019; 06-25-2019 at 02:24 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertiformed View Post
I think part of the joy of an EV is the extreme convenience of charging at home. It seems odd to me to forgo that to save a couple of dollars a week, but to each their own.

Agreed. Super awesome. But is there any technical problem with primarily using dcfc's most of the time?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:45 AM

There have been some studies, but they are a couple years old and I think the technology has changed to the point that it's worth looking at again. I have too little of an understanding of the technology to weigh in. I did find a few articles at sites like Energy.Gov, CNET and others. The government study was with the Leaf, which doesn't have liquid cooling. The CNET article says; ""When you charge at five times the rate, you get 25 times the heating," explained Gow. And heat is the enemy of lithium ion batteries." And a couple other studies posted tables that shows what I would call a slight degradation in battery life, capacity, etc. However, again, they were not Bolt's. Here's what I would recommend; Charge it anyway you want. After 3 years, dump it. I for one, have things to do, so sitting for 15 minutes at a remote charge location, even if it's at the mall, my favorite restaurant, a strip club or the Lego Store is not what I want to do. Time is finite, don't squander it charging away from home. If you're worried about cost, trench a power line from the neighbor or install meter jumpers. They sell the jumpers on Amazon, I kid you not. When we colonize your area, you can always apply for subsidies.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
I've always been a fan of invading Canada, bombing the crap out of it and making it a state. But never pushed for it, until now. If there are free DCFC's up there, darn. I didn't honestly think such a thing existed except maybe the parking lot of the manufacturers themselves. (kidding about bombing Canada, don't want to disturb the Butchard Gardens)
Bombing fantasies aside, We have many free DC fast chargers in the Baltimore area and @ 2 of the Interstate 95 rest stops before you leave Md. going into De.

2017 Cajun Red Bolt EV LT, DC Fast, Comfort & Confidence Bought 7/3/17 Also have 2016 Volt and loving Life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
One question about DCFC charging: Does it do battery conditioning as would happen with L1 or L2 charging? If not, then I would be concerned about long-term negative effects on the battery life.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fallston Md. View Post
Bombing fantasies aside, We have many free DC fast chargers in the Baltimore area and @ 2 of the Interstate 95 rest stops before you leave Md. going into De.
Awesome, I hope the number increases. There is only 1 free one in my state, and it's at a private business. It can be used, but you will want to bring a book to read.

I stopped at the Lake Forest Oasis on I-94 the other day, that is a DCFC I pass regularly, it charges. I have used the L2 right next to it once for the experience of it.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
Awesome, I hope the number increases. There is only 1 free one in my state, and it's at a private business. It can be used, but you will want to bring a book to read.

I stopped at the Lake Forest Oasis on I-94 the other day, that is a DCFC I pass regularly, it charges. I have used the L2 right next to it once for the experience of it.

Well there you go...no bombing required. Phew. We can be left in peace.
L2 you'll need War & Peace. Maybe look to the peace a little more.

There seem to be different outputs of different dcfc's. The dealer ones seem to be around 20 or 25 kw. The larger roadside ones seem to be 50 kw. I'm not sure I've seen larger power ones in my area-ish.

psyflyjohn brings up part of why I'm wondering if primarily doing dcfc is good or bad. So heat is generated with dcfc. Heat bad. If this is happening frequently then ...?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page