User Tag List

453Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 1004 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Review of Model 3 - Bolt EV owners afeared?

Looks like the Bolt might have some competition from a ghost car - the Model 3?

https://insideevs.com/new-tesla-mode...=244+281088008

Are Bolt EV owners afraid of being outshone? It says "Everyone who is not Tesla should be or already is very nervous. The Model 3 is just straight up better than anything else in its class".

I think the author is referring to ICE machines, because that is what the article talks about. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1004 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmichel View Post
Looks like the Bolt might have some competition from a ghost car - the Model 3?

https://insideevs.com/new-tesla-mode...=244+281088008

Are Bolt EV owners afraid of being outshone? It says "Everyone who is not Tesla should be or already is very nervous. The Model 3 is just straight up better than anything else in its class".

I think the author is referring to ICE machines, because that is what the article talks about. What do you think?
I hope the M3 is a raging success. Tesla pushed the majors to start taking EVs seriously, and competition is a great thing for the segment. The better Tesla does, the harder GM, Ford, MB, Volvo and others will try to compete, and we all win.

I think I've had my Bolt since February, and my prospects for being able to purchase an M3 in less than 18 months are negligible.

I think Tesla took some interesting design risks in the M3, and I'd like to see that proven out in the real world.
redpoint5, hatchy and ai4px like this.
post #3 of 1004 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Why would I be afraid? I still have my Model 3 reservation and fully intended to buy it when available... the Bolt however was available now - and literally cost me nothing and one could argue Uncle Sam is going to pay me quite handsomely to drive it ... competition is a winning formula for consumers. It is so early in the EV game, can't imagine what the next 5 years is going to look like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1004 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Very few buyers of the Model 3 will receive the tax incentive. Plus, Tesla does not discount cars. It is easy to almost double the price fully loaded. The Model 3 will be way more expensive taking those two things into account.

9th Year of Pure EV Driving: Gray Bolt | White Bolt | Black Model S | Two Model 3
Tesla Savings Wiki:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 1004 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I have owned my Bolt since July and now have about 4,300 miles on it. It replaced a leased Mercedes C class a bit after the lease ended. My other vehicle is a 2015 Hyundai Genesis (my second Genesis), and its lease will be up in June 2018. I have a Tesla M3 on order and my delivery window is now in the Feb-Apr 2018 period (was Jan-March before current delays).

When it comes to luxury, fit & finish, quality of materials, the Genesis beats the Mercedes and the Bolt. When it comes to fun to drive and other intangibles, the Bolt wins. The Bolt is packed with a lot of technology and innovations but it loses to the M3 in the following areas: 1. Range (with LR battery), 2. Performance (0-60 time is better on M3), 3. Being rear wheel drive, if GM had made the Bolt rear wheel drive, offered an optional all wheel drive and employed better styling (looks live every other hatchback on the road) they would have given the M3 a serious run for the money, 4. Power seats and Homelink, 5. A real charger network equivalent to only larger and better than Tesla's, and 6. Real OTA software updates to remedy customer complaints and add enhancements.

So far, the Bolt has been a trouble free (except for minor software bugs that randomly appear and vanish) car that works very well for living in So Cal. I would consider the range in the barely adequate only because getting around in So Cal requires considerable distances and there are times I find the 200 mile range a bit short. However, like many So Cal drivers, when traffic permits we drive fast usually 75-80mph so that has a negative impact on range. The problem is you can't get in the car pool lanes and drive slower than traffic or you risk having a bunch of drivers behind you ready to kill you. They can't get out to get around you so they are stuck and not happy about it. I really like that I never have to go to a gas station as I fill it up at night with my home level 2 charger and that maintenance is for all intents and purposes zero. For a $43K+ car (premium edition) it really lacks the materials and finish that say I'm a $43K car. Why they left out things like electric seats and a Homelink garage door opener, better visors, climate vents for rear seat passengers and used such cheap carpeting materials is a puzzle. The fact that the 2018 car is in some ways even more cheaply made says they don't read or pay attention to their buyers. Look at the threads complaining about the seat comfort and quality issues as a good example. I would have fully expected the 2018 would have addressed this issue if no other. The other issue I forgot to mention is the angle of the display screen. There are too many times when the reflection off of the screen makes it unreadable. Either allow it to be tilted to compensate for that or properly shade it so it isn't an issue.

I have owned quite a few cars over the years (I'm 73), including BMWs, Porsche's, Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity and more. For driving a sedan, the BMW's are hard to beat, still the best driving car with Mercedes close on its heel. In the sports car category, the Porsche is just a fantastic fun car but requires a lot more skill and concentration with its oversteer dynamics versus the understeer in most sedans. Where the Bolt gives these cars a run for the money is in the instant acceleration that is a real kick. The Hyundai is a very quick car for its size with very good acceleration, uses regular gas and gets decent mileage for a big heavy car at 22mpg around town and a little over 30mpg on the highway. However, there is that lag where the car is downshifting and the motor is spinning up that creates the feeling that you aren't going to make it before it suddenly lurches ahead. With the Bolt is it just instant acceleration that keeps going (as long as you can keep the darn tires from spinning and pulling you first to one side and then the other).
post #6 of 1004 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Chevy is not the target...

BMW 3 series and Mercedes C class is the target. The Bolt is the Bolt and it will do fine...but BMW better watch out if Tesla can actually make any 3’s
DaV8or, Sean Nelson and hatchy like this.
post #7 of 1004 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
2. Performance (0-60 time is better on M3), 3. Being rear wheel drive, if GM had made the Bolt rear wheel drive, offered an optional all wheel drive and employed better styling (looks live every other hatchback on the road) they would have given the M3 a serious run for the money, 4. Power seats r
Without trying to sound sarcastic, just trying to understand ... in the 0 to 60 mph acceleration, how exactly does Model 3's the half a second difference vs. the Bolt serve the owner?

I agree that AWD would be great, but why would RWD be better than FWD?
Raymondjram and Heyeph like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 1004 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrij View Post
Without trying to sound sarcastic, just trying to understand ... in the 0 to 60 mph acceleration, how exactly does Model 3's the half a second difference vs. the Bolt serve the owner?

I agree that AWD would be great, but why would RWD be better than FWD?
The Bolt could be just as fast as the Tesla Model 3 lower range model with different tires. The Bolt is a hot hatch with some low resistance heavy tires and rims. Negatives with FWD with EV's may not be the same as ICE cars. FWD is supposed to eat away at tires quicker and have more oversteer. However, EV's have their weight better balanced than a ICE car. ICE cars with FWD drive have way to much weight in the front.

The other thing is Chevy does make a good car with FWD. This is the reason why the Bolt has FWD. With EV's a FWD vs RWD will not have as much difference as an ICE car.
post #9 of 1004 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
I also hope the Model 3 does really well. It is the one thing that will keep a fire under ICE OEMs, and governments. As to it being the best car, that depends totally on what you want from your car. We wanted the smallest car that would go ~200 miles on a charge. We would have prefered an even smaller two seater, but there isn't one. The lawyer/pimp image, and stupid fast acceleration that German car makers trade on, and Tesla has cooped, is a negative for us.
post #10 of 1004 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
We need a table with the features and prices compared between the Model 3 and the Bolt EV. Does the Bolt EV compare favorably with the Model 3 in terms of value for money.
Closed Thread