User Tag List

37Likes

post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Car & Driver article on Bolt vs Hyundai Kona

A very short article. They prefer the Kona. But you can only buy it in CA.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...paign=16069306

Last edited by ArizonaJon; 02-22-2019 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Correct preferred auto name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJon View Post
A very short article. They prefer the Bolt. But you can only buy it in CA.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...paign=16069306

"It" being the Kona?
redpoint5 likes this.

Driving electric since 1997!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrew View Post
"It" being the Kona?
Yes, the Kona is only available in California. Later in Oregon. Per C&D they expect it to only be sold in CARB states.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Sounds like the bev version Kona is really good. Good! More cargo space, less rear seat room than Bolt. A tenth faster accel, a tenth slower slalom.

The whole road trip problems thing, while true, isn't an issue for a commuter car.. I know I keep saying it.

The thing about the dealers making charging difficult.. yeah why do they do that?

Chevy EVSE = Only EVSE. 14 months and counting.

Last edited by hatchy; 02-21-2019 at 06:37 PM.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Not sure how the OP can say they prefer the Bolt when they gave 1st place to the Kona. The "dead" steering mentioned in the article is the biggest disappoint with our Bolt. When range is not an issue our Leaf is more fun to drive. It feels more agile with better responsive steering.
Zoomit likes this.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
... and yet the Bolt slaloms better than the Kona, despite having a lower skidpad g-force.

I've heard people complain of a harsh ride on this forum, and I noticed it was firm on my test drive, so it's hard to imagine the Kona is firmer yet.

Also, I'm surprised it's more efficient too considering it's a crossover. I'll have to compare the Cd of both... from what I'm reading, Kona Drag coefficient is 0.29 and Bolt is 0.32. It also can do 75 kW on DCFC; something I plan to almost never do.

Don't care for the waffle iron front grill, but atrocious front ends are en vogue at the moment. Kona might be my vehicle if it can compete on price. Probably not as much room to haggle considering it's a limited release.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-21-2019 at 09:44 PM.
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
The C&D article has some pretty funny numbers for the Bolt EV that don't match other reviews (and don't really match other numbers that C&D provided). Now, the Kona Electric could have over performed relative to its published performance numbers, which miraculously resulted in slightly better numbers than the Bolt EV's numbers that exactly matched published performance numbers. And despite C&D's acceleration numbers for the Bolt EV aligning with Motor Trend's (within .1 to .2 seconds) until 0-90 mph, where the Bolt EV in C&D's hands inexplicably lost .6 seconds compared to Motor Trend's testing.

The efficiency numbers also require explanation if the Kona Electric was, in fact, driven under similar circumstances to the Bolt EV. The Bolt EV repeatedly exceeds EPA ratings, so why was their 600-mile trip so much less efficient than EPA ratings while the Kona Electric's was better?

When I look at the results of the datasheet, though, it makes sense because without the stark difference in efficiency, the only ways the Kona Electric was scored higher were completely subjective. It's almost as though, if the Kona Electric is the decisive new "Bolt EV killer," it can't be just a little bit better. It has to be strictly better.

Now, it's entirely possible that the Kona Electric is as close to the Bolt EV in performance and efficiency as C&D claims, so I'll reserve judgment on the Kona Electric until I (or a trusted source) have a chance to test it. However, I know several of C&D's numbers for the Bolt EV are inaccurate (or at least lack context), so this article actually leaves me with less information about the Kona Electric relative to the Bolt EV than I went in with.
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim0266 View Post
Not sure how the OP can say they prefer the Bolt when they gave 1st place to the Kona.
Right?

I've been reading C&D for 30 years but do not like their EV coverage. I started the article expecting a bloodbath of critique aimed at both cars and string of technical inaccuracies. After reading it, I thought it was pretty even keeled and can't argue with any of their conclusions.

If I were buying today (here in CA), I'd look hard at the Kona and compare the actual out-the-door costs. I expect the limited Kona supply will keep the dealer discounts to a minimum, unlike the $6k I got off sticker on my Bolt EV.

2017 Bolt EV LT
2015 Spark EV LT2

Last edited by Zoomit; 02-21-2019 at 10:38 PM.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomit View Post
Right?

I've been reading C&D for 30 years but do not like their EV coverage. I started the article expecting a bloodbath of critique aimed at both cars and string of technical inaccuracies. After reading it, I thought it was pretty even keeled and can't argue with any of their conclusions.

If I were buying today (here in CA), I'd look hard at the Kona and compare the actual out-the-door costs. I expect the limited Kona supply will keep the dealer discounts to a minimum, unlike the $6k I got off sticker on my Bolt EV.
Right now, our local Hyundai dealerships have a mandatory $5,000 "market adjustment" fee. You can't get a Kona Electric right now for less than $50,000.
cwerdna likes this.
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I don't understand how C/D thought the Bolt couldn't do one-pedal driving without the regen button. Just put the car in L instead of D.