Model 3 gets 2/5 on CR reliability rating... Bolt gets 5/5 - Page 2 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

24Likes

post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For a piece of junk, the subscribers to Consumer Report sure like the Tesla Model 3. Wasn't that their highest rated car for satisfaction when polling their subscribers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallinwas View Post
For a piece of junk, the subscribers to Consumer Report sure like the Tesla Model 3. Wasn't that their highest rated car for satisfaction when polling their subscribers?
Tesla is the cool thing right now. That can wear off with to many issues. Hoping Tesla continues to improve as competition is a good thing.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomit View Post
I own both and I want to provide some honest feedback. There's no question which is a better experience to own and operate. The Model 3 is worth the extra $30k we paid. We paid about $20k for the Bolt EV and it's a good car for the price. We're happy we bought it and have put on over 30k miles in the first year. When going back and forth between them, the Bolt EV seems cheap but modern and the Model 3 feels like you've been time-warped into the future.

The Model 3 has more features than when I bought it just a few months ago and it's feature set will improve both in functionality and reliability over time. I bought the Bolt expecting it's features to improve via OTA updates and, after almost 2 years, that has not happened once.

In terms of reliability, the test for us is which will my wife drive solo across the desert in the middle of summer. She has done it twice in the Bolt EV but next summer she's looking forward to driving the Model 3.

I've always thought that the Model 3 fart sounds add such class to the luxury "experience". LMAO

2018 Bolt Premier - Kinetic Blue Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallinwas View Post
The facts say it's rubbish. The brainwashed folks who own them would tell you it was the best thing since sliced bread even if they were on their second vehicle because autopilot killed both their teenage children in the first one. The brainwashing is extreme and, frankly, frightening. Reminds me of the people's temple and Jonestown.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
If I wasn't too lazy to rotate my tires myself, I would have had 0 reasons to bring my Bolt in to the dealer for service the last 2 years (outside of recalls/warranty claims).
totally agree, but I must admit to taking my Bolt EV to my dealer to install the lighted charge port accessory, which is just fantastic. There is so little maintenance on the Bolt that I don't begrudge, too much, the exorbitant $$$ for this part and installation.

Chevy Bolt EV driver since July 1, 2017
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Yep, when Elon announced that his customers would be doing the Beta testing, my decision to go with a Bolt was made. I think the decision is proving correct over time...
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Choice of EV's is a win-win, is it not? The EV driving experience, even a Leaf (I wouldn't buy a Leaf), is better than an ICE. Obviously, one picks the model that seems to optimize their purchase value.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
My Previous car was also a GM car (Kind of a given since many of my relatives including my Dad worked at GM for Life). I previously had a 2003 Olds Alero GX (which was the base model - crank windows - no ABS ETC). Within the first 12k Miles of ownership my front brakes failed. If You consider that a failure of reliability (I would) the Olds was not so great! So far not a single failure in my Bolt but I also have less than 12k miles on it. So Far I'm encouraged with the car's quality.
BoltAction likes this.
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoon View Post
The facts say it's rubbish. The brainwashed folks who own them would tell you it was the best thing since sliced bread even if they were on their second vehicle because autopilot killed both their teenage children in the first one. The brainwashing is extreme and, frankly, frightening. Reminds me of the people's temple and Jonestown.
Keith, you seem a bit misguided and maybe give CR more credit than they deserve. Read the report again and try to justify how the facts result in a unreliable rating of 2/5.
It's also a poor example using the unfortunate death of an extreme situation to make your point. You're better than that.

http://www.rodneytanner.com/hotrod/t...ts-your-wrong/

The facts are that ~ 1% of respondents to a survey(that is vulnerable to "stuffing")

https://electrek.co/2016/06/13/tesla...keef-wivaneff/

from 8 months ago complained about fit and finish issues being:
paint defects
panel gaps
main screen reboot
stress crack on rear panel glass on CR test vehicle

None of these have anything to do with reliability. Call them out for quality control if that's what it is, or service issues, or repair times.
Furthermore, of the 17 rated trouble spots, the model 3 scored a 5 on 14, a 4 on 2 and a 3 on 1, yet the final score is a 2. In what universe does that have any logic? Especially if you were to weight the outcomes based on significance to "reliability", where everything except Paint/Trim, Body Hardware, and In car Electronics most likely could leave you with a non-functioning car (A reboot of the screen takes about 30 seconds and does not affect the drivability of the car).
The same people that complained were the same people that were the most satisfied. Is unreliability synonymous with most satisfied? CR has this data too. It's in their report.

Tesla still needs to continue to improve on those areas and are constantly doing so wherein lies an area that CR needs improvement.
All other manufacturers don't make any significant modifications throughout a model year. Once in while you get a mid year refresh but if there's a flaw or screwup, chances are it stays as is till the next model year. Tesla makes constant improvements when they become aware, not held on to till the next model year. Tesla had already addressed these issues in August when they became aware from the own internal QC. Doesn't negate that they happened or that the data is wrong but that to carry the label of unrecommended for a year when it was "fixed" before the report comes out does your readership a disservice.

If CR is going to be an authority on a product that they have enough influence to effect the market price, they better know that product and the manufacturing and processes to give full and fair evaluation especially when it deviates from the norm.

Then you have the comparable ratings for Audi, Camry, Accord, and BMW in the link. All but BMW are recommended and all have had recalls. Tesla Model 3 has never had a recall.

So you have a publication that by their own admission is the most satisfying vehicle to own of all the vehicles they survey, (agree, has nothing to do with reliability), did great when they did their own testing, the safest car you can buy, (agree, has nothing to do with reliability), the highest ratings in all categories related to reliability and they would rather encourage their readers to buy a ICEV. That can't improve itself.

Someone used a great analogy that CR unrecommended a popular restaurant. The reader questioned them why since they have a queue out the door every night, the food gets rave reviews, everybody that eats there loves it and recommends it to their friends. CR response, " a few people complained about the décor?"

Then you have the response from CR Auto Editor Patrick Olsen when questioned falls back to, "they have to do well in our testing, they have to be reliable, and they have to be safe. And if you can't connect all of the parts of that, we're not going to recommend it."
So Paint/Trim and In-car Electronics were rated "good". Body Hardware rated "average". Everything else rated "great".
testing-check
reliable-check
safe-check
You just sunk your own battleship.
hatchy, paulgipe and TimBolt like this.
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoon View Post
That's right. Hard data shows that the Bolt is simply a better built more reliable car than the Model 3. Must suck to have paid $10k more for a piece of junk.
I talk with quite a number of Tesla owners at the DCFC stations I frequent. You’re sucking slough water to call them a piece of junk.
If you took the time to actually dig into how that report comes up with their ratings, you might think differently. Let’s be honest, the Bolt is a good car, but it’s entry level in terms of styling/prestige/luxury. People who own expensive vehicles are more critical of small items, such as a misaligned panel. If you don’t believe it, make a trip to Jackson Barrett someday.
The Bolt is cheap in many ways. I have not owned a car since the 70’s that didn’t put a coin holder at the bottom left, right below the exterior lamp controls. You are hard pressed to find a review that doesn’t call the interior “cheap plastic”, which it is.
I don’t understand the posters, with all of 5-15K miles talking it up as the most reliable car they’re ver owned. There isnt a car model built in this century that wasn’t reliable over that short a time. Reliability is measured over 100+K, & nobody’s Bolt is there yet. I’m waiting 5 years, when I have 200K, then compare it to my Honda’s & Toyota’s to determine reliability. The more important numbers are the JD Powers 5 year listings, & we are not halfway there.
Lastly, why would you rabidly attack a vehicle you don’t own, & have probably never driven?
You sound like the Boeing pilots slagging Airbus. ( I have a decade on each type). When I ask what, specifically they didn’t like about the platform, I hear things like, “ well, I never bid onto that POS”.
It’s almost childish.
I’ve spent quite a few miles in friends Tesla’s, M3s & the upper end of their line. They are good cars, & there are Tesla’s with 400K on the clock. It doesn’t matter whose badge is on the grille, the more people embrace them, the better it will be for the next gen of EVs

Last edited by Edchris; 02-25-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page