Alternatives to My Chevy App? Free OnStar? - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

10Likes

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Alternatives to My Chevy App? Free OnStar?

My 3 month free trial of the OnStar and My Chevy App is about to expire.

Is there an alternative that people are using instead of paying the monthly subscription?

I am only interested in the app to check on my vehicle when it is charging and maybe the remote activation of the climate control. I donít think this is worth $15.95 a month.

I saw an article from 2016 that said OnStar was giving 3 free years of service. Does anyone know if this program is still active?

OnStar Offers Free Service to Customers
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...-to-customers/

Thanks for any assistance
robbratton likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
I wasnt aware of the 3 year offer. I know of no other alternative to Onstar which I guess is how they think they can justify excessive pricing of $16 a month. I'm still mad that my data price went from $20 to $25 a month! I agree that its not worth $16 because that is almost $200 a year for a minor convenience to have. Those fees could buy me 10 years of magic jack lol. GM seems out of touch on some of its pricing.
robbratton likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
My 3-month trial will expire in a couple of weeks. It's my understanding that The Bolt comes with 5 years of "OnStar Basic" for free and its supposed to have "EV Mobile Command" service that functions with the My Chevy App. You have to have the account open but the service is supposed to be free. I'm pretty sure I read about this here somewhere. I'll find out if it's true in a few weeks I guess.
raitchison and robbratton like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetMan View Post
I am only interested in the app to check on my vehicle when it is charging and maybe the remote activation of the climate control.
You do not need an OnStar subscription to do this. I assume you have a 2019 as the 3 free months just expired. My 3 months expired in December and the My Chevy App still works. I believe the free OnStar monitoring will last for 5 years - big brother is watching. It even works when I am not at home with the car linked to my WiFi. I have even been able to locate the car when it's away from home using the Chevrolet Smart Drive app.
robbratton likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
I saw an article from 2016 that said OnStar was giving 3 free years of service.
This program expired over a year ago. See my previous response re what is available now.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
many discussions on this topic and lots of conflicting information. In general, for most of us the Bolt has free charge status and keyfob functions for 5 years. You are not required to enroll in a paid subscription for these features with the Volt or the Bolt. Many Onstar reps often are not aware of this and of course will default to selling you a subscription as a solution to any issue you raise with them.

https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/9-20...tml#post286226

One of many threads discussing this topic. Mine still works and I am shown as having the "free basic" plan in the MYchevy portal. I have a 2017 Bolt.

There was some discussion that due to plan changes this was not the case for some 2018 and 2019 vehicles, however there are posts from owners of 2018 Bolts that say the keyfob and charge status work just fine and they did not enroll in an additional cost OnStar plan. As I have a 2017 I can't say for sure. Search on this forum (and google) for "EV Mobile Command" as that is the "service" that OnStar provides Volts and Bolts for the 5 years.

Your other option is to get very lucky and get KeyPass to work and then be able to check this info when in BT range of your Bolt

EDIT: And there you have it, in the time it took me to dig up that older thread and post my info @ArizonaJon confirmed that his newer Bolt still had the desired connectivity features after his trial expired as well...
robbratton likes this.

Last edited by wonderbolt; 03-03-2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: posts while I was typing my response
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:44 PM

Is the 5 years from the date of retail purchase or date of Manufacture? Mine was a dealer rental car with 2250 miles that was mfg 7-2017 and purchased by me 1-2018.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davioh2001 View Post
Is the 5 years from the date of retail purchase or date of Manufacture? Mine was a dealer rental car with 2250 miles that was mfg 7-2017 and purchased by me 1-2018.
Mine shows 5 years from the date of delivery. Log into https://my.chevrolet.com/onstar/myservices
select the "OnStar" icon on the left, then select "my connected services" from the dropdown and see what service level and expiration date is listed to be sure.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbolt View Post
Mine shows 5 years from the date of delivery. Log into https://my.chevrolet.com/onstar/myservices
select the "OnStar" icon on the left, then select "my connected services" from the dropdown and see what service level and expiration date is listed to be sure.
Thanks everyone for your help! What a wealth of knowledge in this forum!!!

I talked to OnStar and they knew nothing about a free basic subscription.

I just logged into my account and saw the following:

No additional charge
Chevrolet Connected Access
Active through: December 4, 2028

10 years of Chevrolet Connected Access! (My purchase date was December 4, 2018)
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbolt View Post

Thanks everyone for your help! What a wealth of knowledge in this forum!!!

I talked to OnStar and they knew nothing about a free basic subscription.

I just logged into my account and saw the following:

No additional charge
Chevrolet Connected Access
Active through: December 4, 2028

10 years of Chevrolet Connected Access! (My purchase date was December 4, 2018)
They might have screwed up with the 10 years but I'd sure be Happy to take that ! I'll have to check my account now out of curiosity.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page