User Tag List

3Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to claim CA rebate on Bolt purchase

I just filed my taxes and my accountant said that while the Federal tax credit of $7,500 is run through my tax return, I have to do something differently for the CA state rebate. She said it is not run through my state tax return. Isn't there a $2,500 CA rebate on the purchase of a Bolt EV? If so, how do I get it? I'm about to go in and get my tax paperwork from the Accountant, so if she is wrong and the state rebate does come through my CA state tax return, I hope I can find out quickly so I don't have to file an addendum. If there is a form I need to obtain, where to I get it from and what is the number of it? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginaboydbarton View Post
I just filed my taxes and my accountant said that while the Federal tax credit of $7,500 is run through my tax return, I have to do something differently for the CA state rebate. She said it is not run through my state tax return. Isn't there a $2,500 CA rebate on the purchase of a Bolt EV? If so, how do I get it? I'm about to go in and get my tax paperwork from the Accountant, so if she is wrong and the state rebate does come through my CA state tax return, I hope I can find out quickly so I don't have to file an addendum. If there is a form I need to obtain, where to I get it from and what is the number of it? Thanks.
Hi Gina,
The CA rebate can be applied for here: https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng

It's a separate check and not through your state return.
cwerdna likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Also, don't forget any utility rebates: http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/rebates.aspx.

I don't know who your power provider is but I'm in Pacific Gouge & Extort land. I did receive my $800 check for my Bolt as part of their "clean fuel rebate" and received $500 for my Leaf at least a year or two ago (when it was $500).
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginaboydbarton View Post
Thanks so much!

Just so you don't get a rude shock, the California rebate is means based, and if your income exceeds a certain threshold, you can't get it.

See https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal#q6
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinknutson View Post
Just so you don't get a rude shock, the California rebate is means based, and if your income exceeds a certain threshold, you can't get it.

Yup. If your income is above a certain threshold, you choose either the rebate, or the carpool decals, but not both.

Driving electric since 1997!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinknutson View Post

Yup. If your income is above a certain threshold, you choose either the rebate, or the carpool decals, but not both.
... and given where the income cap sits, if you don't qualify, you don't need the $2500, so take the car pool stickers.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrew View Post

The way I read it, for a BEV, above the threshold you can only get the stickers. For an FCV, you get to choose.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoon View Post
... and given where the income cap sits, if you don't qualify, you don't need the $2500, so take the car pool stickers.

More like if you live somewhere where most folks are above the cap, you need the stickers more than the $2500, cause the traffic is miserable. It's still almost 2% of the cap for a single filer. If you live in 29 Palms, you probably don't need the stickers, but do need the money.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I just went through the California State rebate process and I will share something I recently learned in order to help you set your expectations as to when the check will arrive. The wording on the site leaves one to believe their rebate may come in about 90 days from when your application is approved. This is true, but it took 3 months before I received notice that my app was approved. Then the advertised 3 month clock started.

When you first submit the form you get an email stating that your rebate has been reserved. Here is an excerpt:

Thank you for your application to the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP). We are pleased to inform you that we have reserved a rebate amount of $4,500.00 for the following vehicle:

Then after I submitted the required supporting paperwork (proof of purchase, registration, Drivers license, etc) I got another email stating the app had been "accepted" or some such wording. But that is NOT when the 3 month clock starts. :>

It was only later (3 months later) that my app was "approved". It was a confusing enough process where I decided to call the program's administrator to verify when I should expect the check. He apparently gets such calls on a regular basis. :< He verified that indeed the 3 month clock starts only after approval.

But what the ****. If it takes six months it takes six months. It's a nice pile of cash (I am retired so I qualified higher) and it is a very generous program to incentivise folks to go electric. And it seems to be working pretty good!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page