User Tag List

10Likes

post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Service High Voltage Charging System Warning

My two year old Bolt EV lost charging range over the winter so I took it to my local Chevy service dept. and after 2 weeks got the car back with a replaced front section of the battery pack and 186 mile range (previous weather was cold so I assume it doesn't recover until I drive longer in warm weather). BUT THE OPENING SCREEN (BEHIND THE STEERING WHEEL) NOW SAYS "SERVICE HIGH VOLTAGE CHARGING SYSTEM" and when I press the Start button the message goes away BUT the yellow icon that means : Service vehicle soon" stays lit.

Could these messages be because the technician forgot to clear the system? Or could there be another problem with the battery? Loose connections or coolant leak? (The servicing report says they checked for a coolant leak).

I'VE HEARD TOO MANY STORIES OF BAD BATTERIES -- AND MY FAITH IN THE CHEVY BOLT HAS NOW DISAPPEARED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
surprised they didn't replace the whole battery.
Terry Hancock likes this.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Check the battery coolant level.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Garage
There are 3 coolant loops with coolant reservoirs under the hood. Check them to make sure they're up to the full mark. DO NOT ADD TAP WATER, if they are low. Use only the proper coolant or distilled water.
The battery coolant loop will fail if the system detects minerals. It designed to detect an isolation fault.

Tap water or any water/coolant with minerals will cause an isolation failure. You have been warned!

2017 Loaded Premier in Summit White

Last edited by drdiesel1; 04-08-2019 at 11:43 PM.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Yes, I am very surprised that the entire pack was not replaced. Cells that are made at various times, in various production runs, are not the same as those made under the same day standards. As well, the weak section hurts the sections that were healthy. Thus, I would not trust a piecemeal battery. I actually had no idea that they EVER bothered to replace just a segment.

Your present problem may be corrected by another visit to the dealer...reset? Re-calibration?

But, I would never trust the present Frankenstein battery

*Even Mitsubishi does not do battery sections. I bought a second hand Miev, and as the second owner Mitsubishi honored the battery warranty and replaced the entire power battery. I mean, a second hand Miev owner, and they gave me a complete restart of all cells.

I've been here. I've been there. And I've been in-between.

Driving Electrics since 1973.

Last edited by Terry Hancock; 04-08-2019 at 06:55 PM.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Hancock View Post
Yes, I am very surprised that the entire pack was not replaced. Cells that are made at various times, in various production runs, are not the same as those made under the same day standards. As well, the weak section hurts the sections that were healthy. Thus, I would not trust a piecemeal battery. I actually had no idea that they EVER bothered to replace just a segment.

Your present problem may be corrected by another visit to the dealer...reset? Re-calibration?

But, I would never trust the present Frankenstein battery

*Even Mitsubishi does not do battery sections. I bought a second hand Miev, and as the second owner Mitsubishi honored the battery warranty and replaced the entire power battery. I mean, a second hand Miev owner, and they gave me a complete restart of all cells.
The Bolt's battery design is deliberately modular so that individual sections can be replaced.

I'm sure the Bolt's BMS can deal just fine with swapping out a single section for a newer one.
ZoomZoom likes this.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Battery Part replaced

My local service dept. replaced the #4 section in the Thermo-mat. Can I be sure that this one section will not cause an imbalance in the battery system?
The service dept. also added battery coolant, pressure tested the system and found no leaks. But I still get the dash message "Service High Voltage Battery".

Any further suggestions?
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Spector View Post
My local service dept. replaced the #4 section in the Thermo-mat. Can I be sure that this one section will not cause an imbalance in the battery system?
The service dept. also added battery coolant, pressure tested the system and found no leaks. But I still get the dash message "Service High Voltage Battery".

Any further suggestions?
Back to the dealer till it's fixed.

D-2274 Volt - gone but not forgotten
188005 2017 Bolt Premier
Midland, MI
"This movie (Dr. Zhivago) pulls so many punches and it STILL makes Communism look like the worst idea any human being has ever had"
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker View Post
Back to the dealer till it's fixed.

Keep track of the dates it's in the shop, with documentation to prove it. The Lemon Law clock is ticking...

Driving electric since 1997!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrew View Post
Keep track of the dates it's in the shop, with documentation to prove it. The Lemon Law clock is ticking...
It is definitely ticking. First part of original post : "...My two year old Bolt EV ". So, can a lemon law case be made? Maybe, maybe not. It might be too late - depends on the state you live in.

But it certainly doesn't hurt to track and keep the information!
drdiesel1 likes this.

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving ...
you need a parachute to go skydiving twice.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page