User Tag List

46Likes

post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsCoulomb View Post
He said "Pittsburgh to Philly," which is why I thought he was talking about the eastbound route. The westbound trip would be more difficult until that Electrify America site goes live in Bedford.
Ahh, right, my bad, you were replying to @jms I thought you were commenting on the upcoming trip from Eastern PA to northern Vermont that @MarksBolt mentioned...
NewsCoulomb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to surgeonFWW
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertstorm View Post
Good luck to you! I just completed my first trip in an EV...about 810 miles round trip. One thing I learned was to pay attention to the trend bar on the far left. That is the key to knowing the rate of energy consumption. I started off with a full battery, 175 miles to my first stop and a 235 mile range estimate. After driving a ways at 70 mph into a strong wind and climbing elevation, the yellow downward trend bar dropped all the way to the bottom, meaning I was eating up more range than miles. I had to drop my speed to 65 and even 60 mph at times to reign the trend bar back in. So from the original 60 mile buffer, I made it with about 25 miles left. Since I'm new to this I built in a 35 mile buffer, but as I get better I will reduce this to reduce the cost and time at the EA stations.

After >10 trips of >350 miles, I agree with watching the trend bar AND the miles/kWh. My GPS shows me "miles to go" and I watch this as well as the estimated range (not max OR min). I have never run out of electrons. One thing I do differently is to start out at 5-10 mph below the speed limit. IF I see my buffer range increasing, I can ease the speed up by 5 mph and observe for 10-15 minutes. If my buffer is going down, I slow down. If it is rising, I tweak the speed up higher.

I have started on a 175 mile winter trip with a 175 mile estimated range. But, I knew that on the previous day/drive, I was not watching my speed and rate of accelerations. So on a 55 mph road, I went 45 mph. I used cruise control to avoid that "speed up" tendency. When my range buffer rose to 10 miles (in 15-20 minutes) , I sped up slightly. It continued to rise and when it hit 20 miles (at the 75 mile mark) I drove the posted speed the rest of the way (100 miles). Another time I went on a 226 mile summertime trip, all on a 70 mph Interstate. My estimated range at the start was 234 miles. I set the cruise control at 60 mph, allowed the speeders to pass without hindering their progress, and ended with a 24 mile buffer. Last example: I started a 220 mile trip with a 220 mile estimated range showing. I ended the trip with 100 miles of range remaining! This is because I started at 3200' MSL and ended up back home at 160' MSL.

My rule of thumb is to start slower than the speed limit and increase only after you see the range buffer increasing, rather than starting out fast and having to guess how much to slow down.
supertstorm likes this.

Rick's blue Bolt
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeonFWW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertstorm View Post
Good luck to you! I just completed my first trip in an EV...about 810 miles round trip. One thing I learned was to pay attention to the trend bar on the far left. That is the key to knowing the rate of energy consumption. I started off with a full battery, 175 miles to my first stop and a 235 mile range estimate. After driving a ways at 70 mph into a strong wind and climbing elevation, the yellow downward trend bar dropped all the way to the bottom, meaning I was eating up more range than miles. I had to drop my speed to 65 and even 60 mph at times to reign the trend bar back in. So from the original 60 mile buffer, I made it with about 25 miles left. Since I'm new to this I built in a 35 mile buffer, but as I get better I will reduce this to reduce the cost and time at the EA stations.

After >10 trips of >350 miles, I agree with watching the trend bar AND the miles/kWh. My GPS shows me "miles to go" and I watch this as well as the estimated range (not max OR min). I have never run out of electrons. One thing I do differently is to start out at 5-10 mph below the speed limit. IF I see my buffer range increasing, I can ease the speed up by 5 mph and observe for 10-15 minutes. If my buffer is going down, I slow down. If it is rising, I tweak the speed up higher.

I have started on a 175 mile winter trip with a 175 mile estimated range. But, I knew that on the previous day/drive, I was not watching my speed and rate of accelerations. So on a 55 mph road, I went 45 mph. I used cruise control to avoid that "speed up" tendency. When my range buffer rose to 10 miles (in 15-20 minutes) , I sped up slightly. It continued to rise and when it hit 20 miles (at the 75 mile mark) I drove the posted speed the rest of the way (100 miles). Another time I went on a 226 mile summertime trip, all on a 70 mph Interstate. My estimated range at the start was 234 miles. I set the cruise control at 60 mph, allowed the speeders to pass without hindering their progress, and ended with a 24 mile buffer. Last example: I started a 220 mile trip with a 220 mile estimated range showing. I ended the trip with 100 miles of range remaining! This is because I started at 3200' MSL and ended up back home at 160' MSL.

My rule of thumb is to start slower than the speed limit and increase only after you see the range buffer increasing, rather than starting out fast and having to guess how much to slow down.
Great advice. Did not yet pay much attention to the Trend Bar. Thank you both, Supertstorm and Surgeon FWW.

As for others, thanks and keep road trip knowledge coming, please.

I am about equidistant to Philadelphia and Easton PA, about 6 miles W of the Delaware River. So I say Eastern PA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waiting at the Point_wm (2013_11_17 23_17_23 UTC)_1555298977798.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	25051  
supertstorm likes this.

2019 Bolt Premier
Cajun Red, exterior, Dark Galvanized Gray interior
DCII, Infotainment, DCFC

Former:

2017 Volt LT (Gen 2)
2012 Volt LT (Gen 1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Quote:
After >10 trips of >350 miles, I agree with watching the trend bar AND the miles/kWh.
I think this works okay if you're driving on flat roads. If you have hills, the trend by won't know whether you area about to ascend or descend.

In contrast, both abetterouteplanner.com and Chevy's Energy Assist will understand your planned route and the terrain and give much better predictions.
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertiformed View Post
Quote:
After >10 trips of >350 miles, I agree with watching the trend bar AND the miles/kWh.
I think this works okay if you're driving on flat roads. If you have hills, the trend by won't know whether you area about to ascend or descend.

In contrast, both abetterouteplanner.com and Chevy's Energy Assist will understand your planned route and the terrain and give much better predictions.
Of course, the vehicle has all the information at its finger tips for the trend bar to be able to do a forward projection. It has internet connectivity through the phone to get elevation and route data from Google maps and it has your position (from either the vehicles GPS - yes, it has one - or the phones GPS). It is a simple matter of projecting the elevation changes along the route and forward integrating the slope (middle school math).

Of course you're right that it doesn't do it, but that is lame because the trend bar is a much better, much lower distraction human machine interface.
supertstorm likes this.
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
jms

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
So I made the return trip. The mountains make it very difficult to estimate your range. The rain made it even harder and the use of the defroster to defog the windshield also didn't help. the return trip with some extra driving around ended up being 352.4 mi and 103.4 kw averaging out to 3.4 mi/kw. I did better going east than I did going west. I was driving faster this time around. I did stop twice to recharge and both times it was free. There's a Sheetz in Altoona that doesn't currently charge and a Chevy dealer in Harrisburg that is also free but it's a 24kw unit so it's a bit painful to sit there. I spent an hour at each unit. The span between Harrisburg to Altoona was only 131 miles but I was climbing nearly the entire way so I made it with 20 miles to spare from 86% battery.

When the Bedford unit goes online Route 30 becomes viable. Though I did choose 22 partially because there were several options and there have been times where I get somewhere only to find the unit is down. So a backup option is always nice.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the PA turnpike, the toll from Pittsburgh to Carlisle is $25.80 each way. The toll for my journey would be $34.70 each way for a trip total of $79.40

Long story short. I managed to go from one end of PA to the other and back again for free. If I had paid to charge it would have been around $30 each way. In my other car I would have used a tank of gas each way which would have cost me about $37.

Also if you are doing 10mph under the limit in PA they would inflict violence upon you. I try to stick to speed limit plus 7 and I was getting dirty looks.
NewsCoulomb and MarksBolt like this.

2019 Bolt EV Premier in Kinetic Blue
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms View Post
I spent an hour at each unit. The span between Harrisburg to Altoona was only 131 miles but I was climbing nearly the entire way so I made it with 20 miles to spare from 86% battery.
Yes, net elevation change is a huge factor. If you haven't already, then subscribe to news coulombs YouTube channel as it is the canonical reference for long distance travel in the Bolt.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJq...dkIuBZa7JK5KSw
NewsCoulomb likes this.
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
jms

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Whenever I am asked "How far can you go on a charge?" I always add "in the ideal situation which is flat and 68F and 40mph." But I am overall very pleased with the range and the capability of the Bolt.

post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms View Post
Whenever I am asked "How far can you go on a charge?" I always add "in the ideal situation which is flat and 68F and 40mph." But I am overall very pleased with the range and the capability of the Bolt.
The bolt easily achieves EPA range anywhere from 40 - 80, at 65 mph (no elevation changes).
jms and supertstorm like this.
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
jms

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I haven't had a problem and it hasn't been above 70F since I've owned it. There's nothing I can do about the hills. It does sip power at 40mph though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page