Electrify Amer Improved! - Page 3 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

24Likes

post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I have contacted Electrify America as well as local officials re the lack of any CCS chargers near the I-40 & I-77 interchange in Statesville, North Carolina. An interchange of two major NS and EW interstates and the nearest (multiple) CCS chargers are 96 miles north (Wytheville, VA), 84 miles east on I-40 (coming soon Greensboro), 40 miles south in Charlotte, NC, 35 miles west on I-40 there is a Tesla Supercharger in Hickory, NC but for multiple CCS chargers it is 107 miles to Asheville, NC. This is my western NC desert, 136 miles NS and 191 miles EW. I understand (from a local electrical official) a quick charge station is coming possibly at the Sheetz near the interchange but no details yet. I am hoping it is an Electrify America site.
grommet likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrondrip View Post
That's concerning for me to hear, as I would like to use those two chargers to get from central NJ to NE Ohio.

I've been monitoring the Plugshare scores for the two sites (I see your recent posts on Plugshare for those locations) and they started off bad but have been improving. I hope these locations become more reliable in the future.
I don't know the algorithm they are using, but Plugshare scores don't seem very helpful.

If you want to know about a charging site, the comments are much more useful. That's what I base my spreadsheet on. I look at what the person actually said before I decide whether the charging attempt was successful or not.

But if you really, really want to know about a charging site, call the service provider and ask for the recent detailed history. That should give you the best indication of whether or not a site is trustworthy.
neutrondrip likes this.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC View Post
I have contacted Electrify America as well as local officials re the lack of any CCS chargers near the I-40 & I-77 interchange in Statesville, North Carolina. An interchange of two major NS and EW interstates and the nearest (multiple) CCS chargers are 96 miles north (Wytheville, VA), 84 miles east on I-40 (coming soon Greensboro), 40 miles south in Charlotte, NC, 35 miles west on I-40 there is a Tesla Supercharger in Hickory, NC but for multiple CCS chargers it is 107 miles to Asheville, NC. This is my western NC desert, 136 miles NS and 191 miles EW. I understand (from a local electrical official) a quick charge station is coming possibly at the Sheetz near the interchange but no details yet. I am hoping it is an Electrify America site.
EA has been installing at other Sheetz locations. So it probably will be Electrify America.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:44 PM
Ste

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrondrip View Post
That's concerning for me to hear, as I would like to use those two chargers to get from central NJ to NE Ohio.

I've been monitoring the Plugshare scores for the two sites (I see your recent posts on Plugshare for those locations) and they started off bad but have been improving. I hope these locations become more reliable in the future.
Same here... they were both in the 9 or 10/10 range when I checked and decided to test the I-80 route back to Boston (it's pretty much a wash on time whether we take this one or upstate NY/I-90, but the latter has more cities along the way and FAR better L2 infrastructure).

To be fair, after one early session interruption I got a Bloomsburg unit up and running and we went from 40-85% SOC in good time. It was mostly annoying there because the first stoppage interrupted lunch. DuBois was much worse, so I labeled it "could not charge" on Plugshare. We did get around 8kWh from that location, but it was across multiple charge sessions on every single unit and several calls to customer service, so I couldn't call it a success in any real sense.

FWIW, the Greenlots unit in the Sheetz at State College, PA is free and seems very reliable. I know it's a detour on the way back to Ohio but it's worth it IMO (and you have the back up of Stocker Chevrolet's 25kW unit not far from there if things really go wrong!)
neutrondrip and The Other Tom like this.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Very nice.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste View Post
Really useful info, thank you for keeping track. I just experienced the best and worst of Electrify America heading from Boston, MA to Cleveland, OH and back.

Fredonia, NY and Girard, OH locations worked like a charm, but DuBois and Bloomsburg, PA were a nightmare (which is unfortunate, as those are the only DCFC along I-80 for some 300 miles in the entire state!) Thankfully State College, PA now has a couple of fast charge options that we fell back on, but that really put a damper on what has otherwise been a successful time on the network.

Oh well, growing pains and all that. Thanks again!
@Ste I just watched your nice video of your not so nice return trip. How very frustrating. I have a trip planned mid June that will depend on me charging at the Bloomsburg stations and your experience has me concerned. As you had such difficulty, and were the last poster to Plugshare for that location, I just called EA to check on station status and recent successful charges. As @Usain has now noted, it appears that very few folks actually check in on Plugshare, that it too bad as it is so easy to do and so helpful to others. As your charge was eventually successful, and you recorded it as such, PlugShare rates the location a "10"

https://youtu.be/U5RHitd4Tfc

Anyway, the very friendly and helpful EA representative I got on the phone, Amanda, reported that the CHAdeMO port was used successfully yesterday at Bloomsburg, and the CCS plugs on Station #2 were used successfully on the 20th and the 27th of May. I feel a little better but still understand that I am taking a risk with this upcoming trip.

I will share the details of my experience, keep your fingers crossed for me...
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbolt View Post
@Ste I just watched your nice video of your not so nice return trip.

https://youtu.be/U5RHitd4Tfc
Can you give us a link to Ste's original post, that this link came from?

I just watched the video. I had tears in my eyes. Road tripping in a non-Tesla, outside of California, is still masochism. :-)
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJETSON View Post

Can you give us a link to Ste's original post, that this link came from?

I just watched the video. I had tears in my eyes. Road tripping in a non-Tesla, outside of California, is still masochism. :-)
I don't think that he promoted it with a post, I just subscribed to his YouTube channel and watch the various trecks he has made in his Bolt that he has shared.

Yes, I would certainly say that Ste is a North East USA EV pioneer 😁
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbolt View Post
I don't think that he promoted it with a post, I just subscribed to his YouTube channel and watch the various trecks he has made in his Bolt that he has shared.
Ahh. Thanks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page