Charging my Bolt at 2.5kW using the standard EVSE - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

 40Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just to show it works fine. This provides just over 100 miles charge overnight (9:00pm to 7:00am). 90% of people don't drive more than 100 miles per day 95% of the time.

This costs less than $100 if you do it yourself and when you do travel more than 100 miles in a day, just stop at a fast charger for 30 minutes (that's what I do and I use a DCFC about once per month).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190421-105933_1555875808951.png
Views:	259
Size:	783.7 KB
ID:	25149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190421-105933_1555875985830.png
Views:	200
Size:	783.7 KB
ID:	25151  
hatchy and daveo4Bolt like this.

Last edited by KeithMoon; 04-21-2019 at 03:46 PM.
KeithMoon is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Your two pics appear to be the same.

just charged mine last night using the Bolt's EVSE on 240V.
XJ12 is offline  
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ12 View Post
Your two pics appear to be the same.

just charged mine last night using the Bolt's EVSE on 240V.
They are, this stupid site wouldn't load the picture on my Android 9.0 phone so I loaded it again to see if it was transitory (it wasn't).

So the data shows 25kW in 10 hours, so assuming 4.0 miles/kWh that's 100 miles (I actually get about 4.1 miles/kWh - long term average) so slightly more than 100 miles. That's enough for almost anyone and it's under $100 (anyone who pays for an electrician to install a 3rd party EVSE is really paying way more than they need to).
hatchy likes this.
KeithMoon is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoon View Post
They are, this stupid site wouldn't load the picture on my Android 9.0 phone so I loaded it again to see if it was transitory (it wasn't).

So the data shows 25kW in 10 hours, so assuming 4.0 miles/kWh that's 100 miles (I actually get about 4.1 miles/kWh - long term average) so slightly more than 100 miles. That's enough for almost anyone and it's under $100 (anyone who pays for an electrician to install a 3rd party EVSE is really paying way more than they need to).
I've concluded that it's FOMO. That there will be one time every 6 months where a faster charger would be helpful and the regret of not having it.

I posted elsewhere that OEMs should deliver a usable EVSE with the car. My vision for this is a dual voltage/dual amperage unit that is flexible enough and powerful enough to be used in virtually any situation. At its core it would be a 240V/24A unit that can deliver 5.8 kW. With a single adapter and autodetect it converts to the standard 120V/12A units that virtually everyone has now. It would have a single switch to control amps. One position would be a fixed 8 amps regardless of voltage. The other autoselects 12A or 24A based on the incoming voltage. It just seems to me basing the OEM charger on 120V because the socket is common is poor design.

ga2500ev
ga2500ev is online now  
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
I did put in a 240V outlet (14-50). At the suggestion of forum member AZJon I picked up this adapter, and will just about double my charge rate from a standard 120V outlet (or so I hope!).


I'm picking up my Bolt (2019 Premier) next Saturday (returning to Cape Cod from AZ), and will report on both using the standard outlet as well as the 240V one.


Rich









My as yet "virginal" 240V 14-50 outlet at my Cape home. My Jeep Wrangler is keeping the carport warm pending the arrival of the Bolt!


Rich
Cape Cod, MA/Green Valley AZ
RichCapeCod is online now  
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
I did put in a 240V outlet (14-50). At the suggestion of forum member AZJon I picked up this adapter, and will just about double my charge rate from a standard 120V outlet (or so I hope!).


I'm picking up my Bolt (2019 Premier) next Saturday (returning to Cape Cod from AZ), and will report on both using the standard outlet as well as the 240V one.


Rich









My as yet "virginal" 240V 14-50 outlet at my Cape home. My Jeep Wrangler is keeping the carport warm pending the arrival of the Bolt!

The 14-50 is overkill for using the Bolt EVSE. I installed a 6-20R which is still a bit of overkill, but the receptacle costs less that $10 and is still usable for other equipment like a 240vac compressor for example.

I have 0 need for more than 2.8kW because I have a DCFC just round the corner and I've used it 1 time in Jan, 1 time in Feb, 0 times in March and 0 times in April so far, for a total charging cost of $15. Charging at 2.8kW is better for the battery than charging at a higher rate, so it is a win-win.
hatchy likes this.
KeithMoon is online now  
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
I did put in a 240V outlet (14-50)....I picked up this adapter, and will just about double my charge rate from a standard 120V outlet
Rich,
Are you able to embed a link to a location that adapter can be purchased?


All,
I agree that a 240V is not necessary for most days. But I do find it very reassuring that my Bolt can recharge from empty overnight with 240V/36A.
When we bought our Bolt and Volt, I had two NEMA 14-50 outlets installed. I bought an EVSE for my Bolt. I bought a similar adapter for my wife's Volt.
No problems with either setup.
This is the adapter that I purchased:
https://ideafab.shop/products/level-...22320166109232

2017 Bolt Premier
2017 Volt 2LT
keeperchris is offline  
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperchris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
I did put in a 240V outlet (14-50)....I picked up this adapter, and will just about double my charge rate from a standard 120V outlet
Rich,
Are you able to embed a link to a location that adapter can be purchased?


All,
I agree that a 240V is not necessary for most days. But I do find it very reassuring that my Bolt can recharge from empty overnight with 240V/36A.
When we bought our Bolt and Volt, I had two NEMA 14-50 outlets installed. I bought an EVSE for my Bolt. I bought a similar adapter for my wife's Volt.
No problems with either setup.
This is the adapter that I purchased:
https://ideafab.shop/products/level-...22320166109232
What we are discussing *is* 240vac. I think that 240 is necessary, I just don't think more than the 12 amps of 240 (as supplied by the stock EVSE) provides a reasonable payback for most people.

My total cost for a 20amp 240vac 6-20P including adapter cable was $50.
KeithMoon is online now  
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,182
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
The difference in materials cost between a 20a and 50a outlet (receptacle) isn't necessarily much depending on the length of the run. The receptacles themselves are roughly the same cost, as well as the breaker. The real difference in price would be the wiring, which would depend on the length you need to run.

I ran 10' of 6 gauge and installed a NEMA 14-50. Total cost for breaker, wire, and receptacle was about $75.

EVSEs should come with the capability to charge at up to 32a on 240v. Manufacturers should sell adaptors that communicate with the EVSE what plug is installed, and therefore what amperage to limit to. The extra revenue from selling adapters could offset the slightly higher cost of an EVSE capable of 32a (due to the thicker wire).
ga2500ev and Sibilance like this.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
redpoint5 is online now  
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The difference in materials cost between a 20a and 50a outlet (receptacle) isn't necessarily much depending on the length of the run. The receptacles themselves are roughly the same cost, as well as the breaker. The real difference in price would be the wiring, which would depend on the length you need to run.

I ran 10' of 6 gauge and installed a NEMA 14-50. Total cost for breaker, wire, and receptacle was about $75.

EVSEs should come with the capability to charge at up to 32a on 240v. Manufacturers should sell adaptors that communicate with the EVSE what plug is installed, and therefore what amperage to limit to. The extra revenue from selling adapters could offset the slightly higher cost of an EVSE capable of 32a (due to the thicker wire).
I only need 12-2 for my installation. I disagree that 32 amps is required for most users. All that does is degrade batteries faster than would otherwise be needed to meet the actual charging requirements of most people. An occasional DCFC is less damaging to the battery than everyday charging at a faster rate than required. IMO the slowest possible charge that delivers sufficient mileage should be used. 240vac 12amps provides 100 miles range over night and 90% of the population drives fewer than 100 miles per day.
KeithMoon is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome