Requesting advice taking the plunge on a L2 charger at home - Page 2 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

33Likes

post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibilance View Post
As for the UMC/JDapter combo, I wonder about the etiquette of charging my Bolt where a Tesla is expecting to charge...
Tesla owners use adapters to use J1772 plugs all the time, so it's totally fair game for non-Tesla owners to use Tesla destination stations via adapter (unless there is signage specifically barring non-Teslas from charging, usually only at Tesla-owned properties).

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
Tesla owners use adapters to use J1772 plugs all the time, so it's totally fair game for non-Tesla owners to use Tesla destination stations via adapter (unless there is signage specifically barring non-Teslas from charging, usually only at Tesla-owned properties).
Sure, but isn't the property that installed the Destination Charger expecting or hoping for Tesla clientele to roll up and use it? As an example, there's a golf course / resort in San Antonio with two destination chargers and just one J1772. There's a wild game restaurant there with food that starts at ~40 dollars an entree.

I highly suspect they are hoping for moneyed clients to charge there, not my broke personage.

Money talks. Shouts, even. I personally would be wary of getting into a spat over this.
ga2500ev and ZoomZoom like this.

Weird number.

Happily driving The Gonk 70 (Shock Yellow 2019 Bolt)
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
A reasonably portable EVSE is the made-in-Canada (so it has all of the testing certifications) Elmec EVduty. https://www.elmec.ca/evduty-2/

Its output tops out at 30amps and it can be set as low as 16amps (though this requires opening it up and changing DIP switches, so not something you'd want to do often). I have brought it with me on a couple of road trips where I had a 20amp 6-20 receptacle available.

2017 Bolt Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
While not the cheapest option (but IMO the most versatile), a Tesla Gen 2 UMC + JDapter Stub is the ultimate portable solution (that can also be used as a home charging solution).
The combo provides 120V charging as well as 240V charging up to the Bolt's max intake rate (7.7 kW/32 amps). And the JDapter allows one to use any Tesla destination chargers (not Superchargers) out in the wild, effectively multiplying available charge points.

The UMC/JDapter Stub combo literally allows you charge anywhere there is a plug (as long as you have the necessary adapters, which Tesla sells).

Tesla Gen 2 UMC ($300): https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product...or-bundle.html
JDapter Stub ($239): https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JD...r-JDPTRSTB.htm
I just noticed that Tesla no longer includes the NEMA 14-50 plug in the Gen 2 UMC bundle. Bah, I guess Tesla decided to pinch more pennies. So the UMC/JDapter setup is now an extra $35 (cost of 14-50 plug).
Milo and ZoomZoom like this.

post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sure, but isn't the property that installed the Destination Charger expecting or hoping for Tesla clientele to roll up and use it? As an example, there's a golf course / resort in San Antonio with two destination chargers and just one J1772. There's a wild game restaurant there with food that starts at ~40 dollars an entree.

I highly suspect they are hoping for moneyed clients to charge there, not my broke personage.

Money talks. Shouts, even. I personally would be wary of getting into a spat over this.
I don't think most property owners gives 2 flying sh!ts about whether a Tesla is using their charging stations or not, as long as they are paying customers/guests.
Leszman likes this.

post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Quote:

The property owner likely got them for free from Tesla and is probably impartial as to what brand vehicle connects to charge. Being they were provided free by Tesla is why they have Tesla EVSE's, and along with them sometimes a ClipperCreek
https://electrek.co/2017/06/26/tesla...ing-other-evs/
Leszman and Sibilance like this.
post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbolt View Post
The property owner likely got them for free from Tesla and is probably impartial as to what brand vehicle connects to charge. Being they were provided free by Tesla is why they have Tesla EVSE's, and along with them sometimes a ClipperCreek
https://electrek.co/2017/06/26/tesla...ing-other-evs/
Thank you for the link! I generally try to avoid strife /before/ it can happen, so I thought it was worth asking. An earlier response equating Teslas charging on a J1772 didn't sit right with me, because they aren't quite directly comparable in my mind.

I'm due to take a trip to a resort that I frequent which is about 110 miles away, and they have just one j1772 and several destination chargers. I'll pick up a J adapter as an emergency tool, just in case.

Weird number.

Happily driving The Gonk 70 (Shock Yellow 2019 Bolt)

Last edited by Sibilance; 05-01-2019 at 01:40 PM.
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I believe if you have your Electrician use 6ga, you can go to a 60A breaker and be even more "future proof" ....
Check with your electrician ... might as well since it's not going to be much if any difference in install price ....
raitchison likes this.
post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I used 6AWG wire in 3/4" conduit to a surface mounted NEMA 14-50 receptacle. This is attached to a 50A breaker. The EVSE I went with is the JuiceBox 32A :

www . amazon . com/Leviton-55050-Receptacle-Industrial-Grounding/dp/B00004YUNO
www . amazon . com/JuiceBox-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station/dp/B07GDR2FFL

$500 (shipped) for the 32A plug version. I like that it is wireless and tracks my KW usage. It is portable for the most part in that it can be un-racked from the wall. I have not had any issues with it.

Be aware, you may qualify for a federal tax credit for installation.
ZoomZoom likes this.

Last edited by DurkaDurka; 05-01-2019 at 05:14 PM.
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:

And I've got a nice middle finger for them. Since my money spends just as well as theirs.
Leszman likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page