Requesting advice taking the plunge on a L2 charger at home - Page 3 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

33Likes

post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibilance View Post
Thank you for the link! I generally try to avoid strife /before/ it can happen, so I thought it was worth asking. An earlier response equating Teslas charging on a J1772 didn't sit right with me, because they aren't quite directly comparable in my mind.

I'm due to take a trip to a resort that I frequent which is about 110 miles away, and they have just one j1772 and several destination chargers. I'll pick up a J adapter as an emergency tool, just in case.
The only difference between the Tesla vs others in charging is the plug and communication protocol (for fast charging). The Tesla destination chargers still use the same communication protocol that the J1772 chargers use, why Tesla can use the J1772 with adapter and why we can use a destination charger with adapter. When you get into fast charging is where the protocol is different and incompatibility rears it's ugly head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post
I used 6AWG wire in 3/4" conduit to a surface mounted NEMA 14-50 receptacle. This is attached to a 50A breaker. The EVSE I went with is the JuiceBox 32A :

www . amazon . com/Leviton-55050-Receptacle-Industrial-Grounding/dp/B00004YUNO
www . amazon . com/JuiceBox-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station/dp/B07GDR2FFL

$500 (shipped) for the 32A plug version. I like that it is wireless and tracks my KW usage. It is portable for the most part in that it can be un-racked from the wall. I have not had any issues with it.

Be aware, you may qualify for a federal tax credit for installation.
Nice to see someone did the same as me. Although I went OpenEVSE for my chargers and also track usage over the wifi with them to an emonCMS Raspberry PI.
post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Great advice, everyone. I very much appreciate it.

I was seriously leaning towards buying a Tesla Gen UMC package with 14-50 adapter and JDapter, but saw on a different thread a number of people saying they were having trouble with the UMC. Particularly that it seemed it wouldn't bring the Bolt to a complete charge, or that it shut off just before fully charging. That gives me pause. Are these complaints commonplace, or the exception?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
An advantage of the JuiceBox Pro (I bought the 40 amp and plug it into a 50 amp circuit) is that it can be used, with adaptors, in 12 amp plugs and 30 amp. eMotorWerks sells a set of adaptors. If you plug it into a 30 amp (dryer type outlet) you need to manually (over the Internet) set the amperage on the unit to 24 (continuous) amps. However, it automatically adjusts to a 12 amp plug-in without any manual resetting.

Another thread raises questions about the reliability of the JB Pro. I have found the customer service to be excellent if any problems pop up.
post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibilance View Post
I highly suspect they are hoping for moneyed clients to charge there, not my broke personage.
This is hilarious!

ga2500ev
post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post
I used 6AWG wire in 3/4" conduit to a surface mounted NEMA 14-50 receptacle. This is attached to a 50A breaker. The EVSE I went with is the JuiceBox 32A :
Since the brunt of the cost is the labor, consider going as big in wire as you can for as others have stated; to future proof the work. I go overboard, so temper the project but I ran 3AWG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	25257  
post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
Since the brunt of the cost is the labor, consider going as big in wire as you can for as others have stated; to future proof the work. I go overboard, so temper the project but I ran 3AWG.
I hope the conduit size you used is at least 1 1/4" for code. Otherwise, I bet that 3 gauge was a pain to pull.
post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo View Post
Great advice, everyone. I very much appreciate it.

I was seriously leaning towards buying a Tesla Gen UMC package with 14-50 adapter and JDapter, but saw on a different thread a number of people saying they were having trouble with the UMC. Particularly that it seemed it wouldn't bring the Bolt to a complete charge, or that it shut off just before fully charging. That gives me pause. Are these complaints commonplace, or the exception?
No personal experience with that system, so please take my opinion FWIW, but based on anecdotal info from the original poster that advocated that mix for the Bolt, he has been having "dead battery issues" when plugged into a EVSE and the car sits for extended periods of time. Given how reliable the Bolt has proven to be for the majority of owners, I put a nonzero probability on some incompatibility between his chosen EVSE plug combination and the Bolt.

Although it the Tesla UMC makes a compelling option for the ease of use with various plugs, I would not be inclined to go that route as obviously, if there does exist some incompatibility between the Tesla EVSE and the Bolt (or other non Tesla EV), you will not be able to get support from either GM or Tesla as you are clearly not using it as intended.
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
3 AWG sounds like massive overkill (supports 85 amps, or over 18K watts)...but you never know.
post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
I just noticed that Tesla no longer includes the NEMA 14-50 plug in the Gen 2 UMC bundle. Bah, I guess Tesla decided to pinch more pennies. So the UMC/JDapter setup is now an extra $35 (cost of 14-50 plug).
I just went this route... the other week the old UMC was on backorder with both 5-15 and 14-50 adapters, but was listed as $414. I found a "new" unit on Ebay that I'm currently waiting on to arrive. I purchased my TeslaTap the prior week and tried it out over the weekend. The only draw back is having to wait ~30s or so after plugging the Tesla station into the TeslaTap before plugging into the Bolt. Without that ~30s wait, the car refused to charge. After that wait, no issues though.
neutrondrip likes this.

2019 Bolt LT, DCFC, C&C, DC1, DC2, Blk Bow Ties

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page