Requesting advice taking the plunge on a L2 charger at home - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

33Likes

post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Requesting advice taking the plunge on a L2 charger at home

I've finally cobbled enough money together to make an investment on the homefront. An electrician will be installing a 220V outlet in my garage in the coming weeks. Woo hoo! Two questions for the brainiacs here:

1) Any recommendations as to what type of outlet I should have installed at home? I'm assuming I should get a NEMA 14-50P. My thinking is to have the outlet connected to a 40Amp (or maybe 50 Amp) circuit.

2) What type of Level 2 charger do folks recommend? I'm looking for something portable. I know this topic seems to get discussed ad nauseum on the forum, but would still appreciate any advice people are willing to give.
hatchy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo View Post
I've finally cobbled enough money together to make an investment on the homefront. An electrician will be installing a 220V outlet in my garage in the coming weeks. Woo hoo! Two questions for the brainiacs here:

1) Any recommendations as to what type of outlet I should have installed at home? I'm assuming I should get a NEMA 14-50P. My thinking is to have the outlet connected to a 40Amp (or maybe 50 Amp) circuit.

2) What type of Level 2 charger do folks recommend? I'm looking for something portable. I know this topic seems to get discussed ad nauseum on the forum, but would still appreciate any advice people are willing to give.
1: 14-50R (whoops, wrong key, shoulda been an R) is what I did with a 50A breaker. Gives me 40A for charging (80% for continous load). Would recommend that for future proofing.

2: I went with OpenEVSE, but that might be a bit more DIY than you want to deal with. I think others on here might have some good recommendations for you. Clippercreek, while pricey, has a solid reputation as being a very reliable no frills charger that does just that, charges you vehicle.
Milo likes this.

Last edited by Cataract2; 05-01-2019 at 09:40 AM.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Quote:

1) I 2nd, 3rd, and 4th the NEMA 14-50R (R is receptacle P is Plug)

2)

ClipperCreek (you can find some nice refurb units here if you are looking to save some $$) or JuiceBox.
TimBolt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
I'm about to do the same. Just had an estimate for running a 240 line from my panel to the garage. It came out to a little over $1k because of a worst case scenario of having a panel on the other side of the house, so the run will have to go through about 50 feet of finished basement above the drop ceiling, then up the shared wall with the garage. (Don't tell me I can save money by doing it myself because I'm not comfortable doing that sort of work on my own.)

I've been getting by with a combination of the stock EVSE and charging at work, but the chargers at work have become very unreliable (Blink, go figure). I'm going to start off seeing how I get by with the stock EVSE on 240V since I already have a 14-50 adapter and maybe wait for a deal on a Tesla EVSE or some kind of rebate from my utility company or some vendor like Costco.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Here's an informative thread on the topic.

https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-c...-ev-owner.html
Milo likes this.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I picked up a Duosida portable charger on ebay but you can also find them on Amazon. It's very much like the Clipper Creek charger that comes with the car but has a nice heavy 12 gauge cord so it handles well the 16 amp charge rate the charger puts out. I got it with a 16-20 plug because that's the kind of 220 outlet I had but they're available with various plugs, including 14-50 and up to 32 amp output. My main reason for choosing the Duosida was price but it's worked flawlessly for me and I would choose it again.

Djhodny
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Call me old fashioned, but I wanted an EVSE that was made in the US with US parts. Personally, I think they are more reliable, or at least it's easier to discuss warranty issues should an issue arise. The two that fit the bill are ClipperCreek and JuiceBox. I went the the CC because it has a "wrap around" area for the cord, comes with a protective cover for the plug, and I bought a refurb from the factory for a significant discount. It is a lot larger than the JB and if you're looking for easier portability, I'd take a strong look at the JB. Both have equal quality and warranty IMO.
Edit: Connectivity to the internet was not important to me, but if it is to you, that may swing your decision one way or the other.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Put a 14-50R in on a 50amp circuit. I installed and ran two of these circuits in my garage to power two ClipperCreek chargers. CC makes good stuff.

As Tom mentions, the CC units can be bulky though. The 32A charger I have is relatively portable but the 50A is a monster and mostly empty space. As you might know, these chargers are essentially a circuit board for hand shaking with the EV and a relay.

Pro tip - Clipper Creek offers refurbished units. Call them and ask what they have in stock. I ended up getting the 50A (maybe 40A deliverable to the car) for less than the cost of a new 32A charger. The refurbished unit came as new and looked new.

Bolt Premier / Tesla P3D+ / Boss Mustang / SCCA ITS Mustang / Super Tenere / 2016 SCCA ITS SARRC Champion
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Quote:

While not the cheapest option (but IMO the most versatile), a Tesla Gen 2 UMC + JDapter Stub is the ultimate portable solution (that can also be used as a home charging solution).
The combo provides 120V charging as well as 240V charging up to the Bolt's max intake rate (7.7 kW/32 amps). And the JDapter allows one to use any Tesla destination chargers (not Superchargers) out in the wild, effectively multiplying available charge points.

The UMC/JDapter Stub combo literally allows you charge anywhere there is a plug (as long as you have the necessary adapters, which Tesla sells).

Tesla Gen 2 UMC ($300): https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product...or-bundle.html
JDapter Stub ($239): https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JD...r-JDPTRSTB.htm
wvblt, Leszman and Milo like this.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I have a EVSE that I love on a 50 amp circuit terminating in a 14 50R: a GE Wattstation. They aren't sold any more, and if I was doing it again I would go with a 'dumb' Clipper Creek model. I know that the JuiceBox units are very reliable, I just tend to shy away from connectivity for devices when I absolutely will never use it.

I will say that I have been tempted to 'upgrade' my perfectly functional GE Wattstation, but it has worked perfectly for five and a half years.

As for the UMC/JDapter combo, I wonder about the etiquette of charging my Bolt where a Tesla is expecting to charge...

Weird number.

Happily driving The Gonk 70 (Shock Yellow 2019 Bolt)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page