Electrify Amer April Report - Page 2 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
User Tag List

15Likes

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I use CCS whenever I take a long trip, usually EVgo, but it has never occurred to me to check in on Plugshare. I'm guessing there are many, many others who don't check in as well. I rarely look at Plugshare unless I'm planning a trip into unfamiliar territory, and then I use it only as a starting place to see what's out there. I then go to each provider's website to make my final plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvblt View Post
I use CCS whenever I take a long trip, usually EVgo, but it has never occurred to me to check in on Plugshare. I'm guessing there are many, many others who don't check in as well. I rarely look at Plugshare unless I'm planning a trip into unfamiliar territory, and then I use it only as a starting place to see what's out there. I then go to each provider's website to make my final plan.
I always check in because it adds to the community knowledge and may help someone else. You don't have to register if you don't want to. Your comments will be recorded as being from a PlugShare user or something to that effect.
BoltFan and mboni like this.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOffYourGas View Post
If it is the credit card reader, what is special about the CHAdeMO then? Or is it just because there is no backup for CHAdeMO, whereas if one reader fails for CCS, the user could try another?
It's the latter. I see lots of cases where the user reports trying one CCS charger and it fails. Then he moves to another one and it charges fine. This has happened to me personally at an EA site. For my statistics, this counts as an overall success.

With CHAdeMO, the user is just out of luck.

Also, it seems that the card reader situation is getting better. But they really need another way to pay that is more reliable. I've heard it is coming, but no word on when or what form it will take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Keep in mind that this is based solely off of PlugShare check-ins. I try to check in whenever I use a charger (successful or not), but even I forget sometimes. Many people don't even know about PlugShare or simply don't bother to check in.

That said, this is still very useful data. But I wouldn't put too much weight on the number of attempts.

And the number of charging sessions will increase as more cars hit the road. And more people will be willing to try an EV knowing that such a great network is being built.

I've attached a slide from EA's recent update. It can be found on page 11 of this document:
https://elam-cms-assets.s3.amazonaws...%20Summary.pdf
Thanks for pointing to that document. It says that from May to December, there were 1153 charging sessions. 176 checkins were recorded on PlugShare during that time. This means that PlugShare checkins occurred about 15% of the time. But I don't know if the 1153 sessions includes unsuccessful sessions or not.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
If it is the credit card reader, what is special about the CHAdeMO then? Or is it just because there is no backup for CHAdeMO, whereas if one reader fails for CCS, the user could try another?
Let me clarify a bit. It's not "just because" there is no backup. I also see lots of cases where EA has sent a tech out to take care of CHAdeMO. EA will report on PlugShare that they are aware of an issue with CHAdeMO. Then they report that it has been repaired. But we don't know for sure if it was just a card reader issue on that one charger or if there was a problem related to CHAdeMO itself.

But the fact remains that CCS users are much more likely to have success because of the redundancy.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Not sure if folks read this from the "EA improved" thread
https://electricrevs.com/2019/04/29/...p-coming-soon/
Jeff N likes this.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Thank you for the additional clarification.

I can't wait to start using these stations myself. There are a few near me that would be very useful but have not yet opened.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Good article this AM regarding the launch of the EA app and some insight into EA expected progression over the next 24 months
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/05...-car-charging/
GetOffYourGas likes this.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbolt View Post
Good article this AM regarding the launch of the EA app and some insight into EA expected progression over the next 24 months
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/05...-car-charging/
Great to hear that faster charging EVs can't neuter their charge rates to slower speeds to get the cheaper rates. I could definitely see some cheapo owners dialing down fast charge rates on purpose to pay less...glad to see EA is nipping that in the bud.

Check out my Bolt EV blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bolt EV owners Facebook Group:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bro1999; 05-06-2019 at 10:37 AM.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
I would like to know more about the $4 per month plan... That was the first I've heard of it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page